4L60E - verifying potential problem...

Hi folks, I'm looking for a little insight into a possible expensive transmission fix.

I have an 02 Suburban 5.3 with the 4L60E trans and 55k miles. It's mainly the wife's daily driver and family hauler. We bought it used, one year ago with 35k on it. It's been a flawless vehicle so far. Last week I noticed a squeaking noise when moving in reverse, while in gear. It sounded like a u-joint to me, but I took it to a reputable trans shop to be checked. Sure enough, it was a bad u-joint. The tech thought it was strange for a u-joint to fail so soon(mild SoCal weather), since both were in poor shape.

I decided to have the trans serviced, they dropped the pan, installed a new filter and a few quarts of ATF. The tech told me he found a considerable amount of metal shavings in the pan, and recomended overhauling the transmission. He spoke as if the trans would quit at any moment.

I obviously held off making a decision at the shop. For one thing, it seemingly operates fine. Absolutely no clunks, slipping, odd shifts, etc. Secondly, if a shop were trying to scam someone, this would be the perfect scenario. But, I only know our history with this vehicle, and something about toasted low mileage u-joints makes me think this vehicle might have been treated hard in the past.

I'm not much for blindly rebuilding the trans. I was thinking of dropping the pan in a few thousand miles for a look myself. Does this seem like a smart move, or is this a ticking time bomb? Is there another way to verify his findings?

Thanks for any help.

-Ron

My U-joints both went at 60,000 miles. It's not uncommon. I replaced mine with greasable fittings because the stock ones are sealed and are not greasable. It's uncommon for a 4L60E to fail that early. You should have had a transmission flush done rather than drain and fill. That way all the fluid is changed rather than only the part that is in the pan.

All automatics have a small amount of debris in the pan, this is normal.

Sounds like your trans man is a lying sack of mud. don't sweat the u joints, they probably weren't lubed right when made. Enjoy the next 100k miles in your truck.

Ken

I would do as you stated and drop the pan after a few thousand more miles..if it had an unusual amount of shavings in it at 55k then you should be able to tell something by dropping the pan after some more miles...Good that you did the maintenance on the transmission..I wouldnt pay the kind of money it would take unless it was broken..just my opinion

Ujoints on my '02 went out before it hit 50k miles.

I'm with everybody else on the tranny part...Wait until it goes...And I doubt it's about to anyway. They usually act up considerably before giving up.

U-Joints seem to be a hit or miss thing, some go early, some don't.

But as far as the Tranny... did you see these filings? Unless there were chunks, i would'nt sweat it. Thats why there is a magnet in the pan, to catch the stuff off the bands.

Keep it clean, keep it cool.

Archived