Intake kits

Shaners

I want to install K&N intake kit in my truck, were getting freezing temputure here in Anchorage, teens and some -0.  Will "to much" cold affect the performance of my truck or will it run as before?    

Thanks in advance.. :D

Quote from Friz, posted on Nov. 10 2001,10:02

You will probably see a slight mpg drop.

I think in temps that cold, your mpg's will be less no matter what.  My  mpg's drop about 5% in the winter in PA.  I actually get better milage in the summer with the air on than I do in the winter with the heat on...

Shaners, you're right. Any comp-controlled motor will get less mpg when it's cold. I was guesstimating that with a true cold air kit, it may suffer a little more.

Quote from alsz71, posted on Nov. 18 2001,06:25

A little off topic here but I've always thought my vehicles have more power with colder and therefore denser air (denser ? is that a word? ) whadda you guys think is there any truth in my thinking ?

You are correct, Grasshopper.

Cold is nature's turbo-charger.Cold air is denser, which simply means that there are more air molecules packed tighter together.

On the old non-comp motors, colder(denser) air leans out the motor a little which shows a power increase and actually will help mpg a little. It makes a little more hp while using the same amount of fuel.

Comp controlled motors sense that leaning out of the cylinders and feed more fuel to the motor. Result? More power, but uses a little more fuel.

Alsz,

I see it all the time in my "Nitro" powered RC trucks.  For maximum performance you have to tune these motors right on the ragged edge.  With these air cooled motors, you have to richen them up in the cold to keep them from overheating believe it or not.  The colder denser air leans the motors out to the point where they have crossed over the line or ragged edge.  

• 3 weeks later...

yes the computer will compensate for the more air (14.7 to 1 by weight not volume) by adding more fuel, but the added density of each fuel/air charge that makes it past the intake valve into the cylender will create more power as there will be more pressure from heating this heavier charge

Archived