?Over the Rail Tool Boxes

I've been looking at over the rail tool boxes for my 2002 GMC 3500.  I looking for input on what you owners like the best? Single lid or gull wing?  Aluminum Diamond Plate or other? DeeZee, Delta, Better Built?

Pricing for these seems to be all over the ball park on the net too!  I've found a DeeZee 91777 (Gull wing alum) for as high as $450 and as low as $197.  Help

Personally I believe the single lid box  is the better box,I don't like the gull wing boxes at all.As far as manufacturer I like the Better Built boxes, and the UWS boxes,,I have had both,I rathered the UWS box,,it just seemed more rigid and durable and the finish lasted,,,I am posting the links to both below......Gun

UWS Tool Boxes

Better Built

I used to have a Better Built box and it worked good. It worked for me, but I didn't abuse it at all. My buddy just got a Weatherguard box and I must say it is much nicer and more durable, but you pay for it. I have used both the single lid and the gull wing type and the single lid has much more room inside. When I got mine, I had to get a shallow box so I could still haul a ladder. The end of it would fit underneath the box. That is something to keep in mind also if you haul anything like that. As for finish, I like the diamond plate because it doesn't show any scratches.

I am sold on Rawson-Koenig:

http://www.rawson-usa.com/

"Rawson-Koenig steel tool boxes and storage chests are crafted from 14-gauge (minimum) steel with stainless-steel hinges and latches, a tough polyester powder-coat finish, and durable spring-assist lid supports. Our aluminum boxes use bright-diamond treadplate aluminum and have sealed gas shock lid supports"

They seem to cost the most, but they just need a little wax every so often. They are thick and do not dent like the thinner guage ones do. I have one that is five years old and looks brand new. IF you ever need customer support after the sale, Rawson is there and will help you.

Good luck on your box. btw- I would get the aluminum. Easy maintenance, no rust, light weight and looks fine.

I agree completely with SHOTGUN.

UWS in my opinion is the best.

Check out this tread I started with pics of my truck, you can see the toolbox there. I have part of their rail collection, and the rail has come in handy A LOT!!!!

PICS

I don't know how many boxes out there are carpeted, but mine is, and I must say that I like that feature.

I've got a UWS box and really like it. Of course, it was the only one I could find in about 7 cities that was in-stock at a store (didn't want to wait). I paid $203 after tax but that was for a stepside box. It's a single lid. I've had it for over a year and haven't had any problems with the side rail so far.

I have been very pleased with my Seal-tite box.  It is an Aluminum Crossover box.  The top is diamond tread, the rest is polished.  I have done a review in the product reviews section here.

I have pics of it on my '99 at the link in my sig.

I always considered Rawson to be the best, but didn't like the tall profile (above the rail) of their deep model.

check out Home Depot

They have Husky diamond plate over the rail toolboxes made by Contico.  I had one on my previous truck.  They hold up very well.  And the price is great.  $200 for the std or deep well.  Go check em out.

• 9 months later...
I have one of the deep Husky boxes on my truck. I am a building contractor and the box is always full to the max. The box sits on T-Rac rails (not Trac-Rac) which picks it up about 4 " so a step ladder still fits under. I have freighted the box and the racks on many occasions and there is no sign of bed damage yet. I'll cross my fingers though.

I have a DBB deep diamond plate single lid that I have put through hell and its holding up good dulled a bit but after 3 years with no polishing thats expected

I just got a dee-zee deep dual lid box put on my 03 a couple weeks ago so far so good .

I agree completely with SHOTGUN.

UWS in my opinion is the best.

:smash:

Picture%20018.jpg

The box was about a year old then. Looks good as new there and still looks the same.

Archived