Inconsistent Grinding Noise Up Front?

Hey All!

I was hoping you could shed a little lite on what I am hearing.

It is a 2006 Silverado 1500 4x4 with about 63,000 miles. I am getting an inconsistent grinding noise that sounds like its coming from around the left front wheel. It only happens after I have driven for a while and at relatively low speeds and rpms (20-40mph and 800-1500 rpm). Sometimes happens when going straight but most often with a slight left turn. Typically does not happen when turning the wheel to the right or with hard turns.

I put her in 4wd and turned left and right and she really doesnt like that, lot's of grinding there which I had never heard in the past.

My guess was hub bearings which would be good news I think as it doesn seem like they are tough to replace based on the research I have done on this forum but I didnt want to buy them until I had some input.

Oh, and this just started a few days ago.

Any ideas?

Must be a common problem on these. I traded my '05 off partly because of a grinding noise from the front end while in 4x4. Dealer said it was normal.... :D

I have to be honest, I am pretty disapointed. This doesnt seem like a problem trucks like this should be having especially when basically used as a car, no towing, off-road, etc.... Pretty much just household tool use.

I had a 95 Sonoma that I put 130k on and all I ever did was brakes and tires.

Must be a common problem on these. I traded my '05 off partly because of a grinding noise from the front end while in 4x4. Dealer said it was normal.... :D

I have to be honest, I am pretty disapointed. This doesnt seem like a problem trucks like this should be having especially when basically used as a car, no towing, off-road, etc.... Pretty much just household tool use.

I had a 95 Sonoma that I put 130k on and all I ever did was brakes and tires.

I have to agree, 63K miles seems pretty early for a hub bearing. But, I do think the others and you are correct in your diagnosis of a hub bearing. My 99 2500 went to about 135K miles for the left hub to fail. I replaced both left and right and now have over 210k miles.

Hey All!

I was hoping you could shed a little lite on what I am hearing.

It is a 2006 Silverado 1500 4x4 with about 63,000 miles. I am getting an inconsistent grinding noise that sounds like its coming from around the left front wheel. It only happens after I have driven for a while and at relatively low speeds and rpms (20-40mph and 800-1500 rpm). Sometimes happens when going straight but most often with a slight left turn. Typically does not happen when turning the wheel to the right or with hard turns.

I put her in 4wd and turned left and right and she really doesnt like that, lot's of grinding there which I had never heard in the past.

My guess was hub bearings which would be good news I think as it doesn seem like they are tough to replace based on the research I have done on this forum but I didnt want to buy them until I had some input.

Oh, and this just started a few days ago.

Any ideas?

I had a similar problem a few months ago:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...c=84066&hl=

It's very likely your hub bearings, as the others have pointed out.

Check your front brake calipers/pads while your at it.

BJ

It's very likely your hub bearings, as the others have pointed out.

Check your front brake calipers/pads while your at it.

BJ

I appreciate it. So in your situation the calipers were fine, just replaced hubs and pads?

• 6 months later...

Bump...

I noticed an intermittent grinding noise yesterday after about a 3 hour drive. I could only hear it at about 20-30mph, any faster or slower and it was gone. It increased rate with vehicle speed, but was significantly slower than each revolution of the wheel. It was also louder when slowing down and turning left, and disappeared when accelerating or turning right.

I heard the sound again this morning on my way to work, but only once, then was not able to reproduce it.

I think it's my front right wheel bearing. Next week I'm moving back up to Michigan, and am curious if wheel bearings suddenly go out or slowly fail over time. If I fix it before I move I have to pay someone, but once I get back to Michigan I can do it myself. I'd really like to do it myself, but that'll have to be a 1500 mile road trip later. Will the sound be loud enough for me to know that this really needs taken care of before there is some catastrophic failure?

My 99 2500 started making a low whiring/rumble when making a slight turn in one direction at something like 120,000 miles. It then became louder over a period of several months. Eventually, it started making the grinding noise when sharp turning thru a parking garage at 5-10 mph. I then jacked it up and found the wheel/hub bearings were very loose and I could wobble the wheel maybe a 1/2 inch. I'd say you have some time, but I wouldn't chance a highspeed trip. Likely, the hub will overheat during sustained highway driving at this point.

Archived