Suspension vs Body lift

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me the pros and cons to suspension lift vs body lifts.  I know suspension lifts are better, but it also costs a lot more.

For my 2000 Jimmy, this is the quote I received (please keep in mind these prices are in CANADIAN dollars):

<attached quote>

Trailmaster Suspension is the only manufacturer that makes a lift kit for your truck.

1)Trailmaster 5" suspension lift system complete with shocks : $1,949.38

If your truck has the 4.3l V6 exhaust modifications will be required and will be extra charge.

This is a very detailed and complete kit and will require about 14 hours to install. Our shop rate is $65 per hour so the install will cost approximately $910.00 to complete.

<end quote>

At that price, it is out of my budget.  That makes me think strongly about a body lift, possibly just 1 inch.  That is why I want to find out the true pros and cons to the two types of lifts.  Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 2002 Z71 and plan on installing a 3" body lift. The main reason is maintaining the integrity of the warranty. Performance accessories has a nice kit that includes the bumper adjustments as well. The second reason is the cost, much cheaper for the body lift. Probably around $600 installed. Your decision also depends on how you intend on using your SUV. If you plan on intense off-roading, then save up for the suspension. Hope this helps a little. :yingyang:

That sounds like a very fair price on the suspension lift.

If you go body, are you going to do it yourself?

Its not worth the time for just 1", go 3".

As far as warranty, the dealer can only deny service if the part in question is determined to be CAUSED by the lift.

I know many people that have gotten service under warranty with lifts.

Personally, i had to go thru Chevrolet Cust Srvc to get it, but i got it :thumbs:

With a body lift you won't gain any ground clearance, unless you add bigger tires, which you can do (to a point) without a body lift.  As said before, body lifts are fairly cheap, especialy if you are doing the install yourself.

Suspension lifts would ultimately be the best choice, but like you said, cost a lot of money.  You have more choices on bigger tires with a suspension lift also.  A lot of people say that their truck rides a lot better after a suspension lift because usually shocks are changed and and other suspension components.  I would imagine with a body lift, the ride would be the same, or at least close to the same.  Maybe even slightly stiffer because of the spacers, but I doubt it would be very noticable.  

For me, I'm going with a body lift because of cost.  I'm putting a little larger tire on mine, any probably won't NEED the B/L, but want to gain a little overall height.  Although I'd love to have a suspension lift, I just can't pay that much.  If I ever win a lottery or something, I'll get one.  :thumbs:

Bodylift:

Pro's:

-Cheap Price

-Easy Install

-You can clear bigger tires

-Doesn't change your suspension characteristics

Con's:

-Show's more frame

-Doesn't look as clean (but can w/ some work)

-Limited to about 2 or 3" of height

Suspension Lift:

Pro's:

-You can gain more height

-More suspension articulation

-You can run even bigger tires

Con's:

-Much Higher price tag

-More complicated install

For my truck I ended up going w/ the body lift for a few reasons:

-Cost, big issue, the body lift and tires were less than just a suspension lift

-Ease of install, I could do a body lift w/ the help of some friends.  A suspension lift would be more difficult

-I just wanted to clear some 33's on the truck so I only needed 3" of height

-I don't off-raod enough to justify the cost

-Finally, a suspension lift would've made the truck too tall to fit in the garage.

Well,you won't gain actual ground clearance just from a lift no matter which way you go.You maximum clearance is judged by the lowest point of the truck which is usually the differential housing so the only way to truly gain is with tires.

What you want really just depends on what you use your truck for.If you off road a lot the suspension will give better performance but if you're on the street and just want larger tires,the body lift is fine.

To answer the question of what i intend to do....basically I don't plan on any heavy rock crawling.  I want to do some light offroading to moderate offroading.  That includes crossing small creeks, going over cobbles, dirt roads, etc....where clearance is sometimes an issue.  After going out in stock config, I managed to come back with only a bent sidestep (which I should've taken off prior) and scratches beneath the truck.

So, picture offroading slightly more advanced than a stock vehicle can handle, and that is where I want my SUV to be.  Maybe that's why I think that the suspension lift for my truck right now is a bit too expensive.

I only plan on using the Jimmy to gain more offroading experience, then my plan is to move to something more capable (that might mean doing the expensive mods on the Jimmy or trading in for another truck).

I did initially think about a 3" body lift, but this is some advice I heard and I'm slightly concerned about

<paste quote>

BTW - body lifts add stress to the mounting bolts. The heavier the frame and body mounts the taller you can go safely.

Jeeps, being light duty, are best with only a 1" body lift.

2" is marginal, anything taller is too much.

Some heavy duty trucks are OK with 3 " body lifts.

<end paste quote>

Since the Jimmy is not really "heavy duty" I am still trying to find out more about the two types of lifts before deciding.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer suspension lifts, although they are definately more expensive and complicated.  On my truck I had both, it got a little more roll to it when I added the body.  The suspension is more stable, but you will sacrifice some ride quality, but gain in overall height and ground clearance.  For warranty voiding, its really a dealer call, some dealerships have started selling lifted trucks and still offer a full GM warranty.  I didnt have any problems.  Basically

Body Lift Pros:

Inexpensive

Easily Installed

Effective lift for larger tires

Cons:

Shows frame and engine and gap between bed and frame

May increase body roll

Suspension Pros:

More stable offroading

Higher ground clearance

Can go alot higher

Cons: