New Member Just Bought a Vtrux

Hi all,

Found myself ending up here during my many searches, so I figured I might as well join the forum. In any case, I just bought myself a 2014 Via Motors Vtrux. I figured with as unpredictable as things are these days, why not buy a truck no one has heard of or services [emoji28]?

This one is a 2014 CC 4x4. All pickups have the 4.3L and were 4wd. Mine has 17k miles on it and I paid about $23k delivered from Virginia to MN. I'm just learning my way around this thing and am already finding it's not configured properly for optimal ev range with its giant tires and ridiculous bumper.

Slim

8d06c5654c6d41ba780f8bfbcb2ebf68.jpgfce43853916303475e7a1b9fd6e4565a.jpge3dc5b2d8e65035a9baae284d1aa28e2.jpg2239d789524106391a9067f96f384306.jpga2d1bb42c50b257b1127bb3c7d7e5977.jpgee03549f3a4530b9e76c79e0ddb06104.jpg6cd1c13e12f296b946298691676fabd4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

You bought a vehicle sight unseen?

i just bought a 2018 Silverado sight unseen in person. Like 53 pics of the truck before i pulled the trigger. CARFAX, build sheet, service records etc to review as well. Turned out okay and shipped to me as well. 5500 miles on it and CPO.

11 minutes ago, lryfer said:

i just bought a 2018 Silverado sight unseen in person. Like 53 pics of the truck before i pulled the trigger. CARFAX, build sheet, service records etc to review as well. Turned out okay and shipped to me as well. 5500 miles on it and CPO.

No way.

You're more of a trusting guy than me.

:)

• Like 1

Welcome to this forum.  I am interested in hearing more about your vehicle.  I agree that a lift , heavier tires and bumpers will definitely hurt the range of your vehicle.  The cost of electricity will be to your advantage but your all electric range must be pretty low.   I know that the 4.3 is used to generate power for the electric motor which will bring your range up to a traditionally powered truck.  It may be worth your while to sell/trade your bumper and wheels and shed some of  the excess weight!

7 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

No way.

You're more of a trusting guy than me.

:)

I once drove several miles to deal on a  classic car based on several pictures.  It was freshly painted in a beautiful light blue.  I was a little shocked by the roller, brush and splatter marks not captured by pictures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.viamotors.com/electric-vehicles.html

It is a plug in hybrid with a 35-40 mile range on electricity. Not bad, good range for most around town or to and from work on electricity alone. I am a fan of hybrid tech, especially plug in with some descent range on electricity. The fiances next car will most likely be the plug in hybrid Rav4. Errands and to and from work on electricity and then we can still take it on long road trips on gas.

Tyler

Tyler is correct. It's an extended range electric vehicle. 35 miles of all electric range, then the gas engine turns on to run the generator which charges the batteries. The transmission gets removed during the conversion. In its place is the generator and electric drive unit. The original gas tank is removed to make room food the 24kw battery pack. These are the same batteries as the Chevy Volt (albeit more of them). Then where the spare tire used to be, an in & out charger is there. A 16 gallon tank is then put in for the gasoline.

I did buy this sight unseen. Seeing this in person would not reduce any risk because I wouldn't have any reference as to what's working and what isn't. The carfax was clean and the dealership was highly rated online. I bought my '54 Ford coupe sight unseen a few years ago, flew out to CA, then drove it home. I've had that car 9 years now. With this truck, I did a video call to go over the vehicle and was shown the minor blemishes it had. I would've flown out to see the truck in person then drive it home as well, but with COVID-19, my work would've mandated I self quarantine for 14 days when I got back, so that was my biggest deciding factor in purchasing sight unseen.

The Nitto tires are 295/55/20 and they're on Black Rhino wheels. I'm getting about 25 miles of all electric range currently and I'm pretty convinced these are a major contributing factor to this. The front bumper is a Smittybilt M1. I really dig how the truck looks, but feel I'll have to change the look in order to maximize efficiency. I can charge the truck for free at work and I'm buying a level 2 charger for my house. Fortunately, these charges use the same plug as my welder and plasma cutter.

Slim

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would bet that a step down to 275/55/20 or even 255/75/17 would see a solid increase in range. Anything else you can do to lower weight would help. Lowering the truck for better aero would also help I'd bet.

Is it fast?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, kstruckcountry said:

I would bet that a step down to 275/55/20 or even 255/75/17 would see a solid increase in range. Anything else you can do to lower weight would help. Lowering the truck for better aero would also help I'd bet.

Is it fast?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think I'll end up in a 20" wheel still because I Like how it looks, but monitor how much the wheel weighs. Same thing with the tire. It's a level of data I'd never thought I'd consider for a vehicle. Right now each wheel/tire weighs well over 100lbs. I'm hoping to stay under 65lbs.

As far as fast....hardly. The website claims 400hp with 306lb/tq, but it doesn't feel anywhere near that. Via Motors claim a 0-60 mph in 9.7 sec which is an eternity these days. This thing doesn't accelerate like a Tesla. Power delivery off the line is incredibly smooth however and driving the truck is a pretty relaxing experience.You just have to throw out out all the regular driving sensations you're used to. When the engine kicks in to supplement power, it will rev up to produce that power. This increase in rpms does not match how you're accelerating and at first it feels like the truck is broke. Also, it won't do burnouts (obviously, I tried this first). When you depress the gas and the brake at the same time, it will disengage the motor to begin regenerative braking.  I hope to produce a YouTube video highlighting some of the weird things on this in the future.

Regards, 

Slim

• Like 1

Slim 

Sounds like a niche crowd for that truck. Probably why we never heard of it. Someone that lives 10-15 miles from work. Or does very little driving.

If you like it and are happy with it that's all that matters anyways and I applaud you for saving the earth.

Myself, on the other hand, will continue to destroy it getting way less mileage than most so it evens out. 

BTW . Nice mask.?

Where in Minnesota are you?

Edited by dieselfan1