Engine Oil Capacity – With Oil Filter Has Changed

Cadillac_script_2015.jpgChevrolet_Bowtie_comm.jpgGMC_10-09_comm.jpgDate: 5/11/2015 Ref. number: Service / Service Operations / G_0000216402 Subject: Engine Oil Capacity – With Oil Filter Has Changed

Engine Oil Capacity – With Oil Filter Has Changed

GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

DATE

05/11/2015

SUBJECT

The Engine Oil Capacity – with Oil Filter Has Changed

MODELS

2014 – 2015 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado, GMC Yukon, Sierra, Denali Equipped with GEN V V8 Engines - 5.3L RPO L83, 5.3L RPO L8B or 6.2L RPO L86

TO

Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC Dealers

ATTN

Parts and Service Director, Parts Manager, Parts Counter Personnel, Service Advisor, Service Manager, Service Technician, and Fleet and Commercial Managers

The Engine Oil Capacity – with Oil Filter for all GEN V, V8 5.3L and 6.2L engines has been reduced from 8.5 quarts to 8.0 quarts.

This change has been implemented in SI and will be reflected in future Owner Manuals.

Thank you for your cooperation.

END OF MESSAGE

GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

That's weird. AFAIK, the engine oil capacity was already specified at 8.0 qts.

In my manual it says 8.5 and sometime last year I believe it was a bulletin or something came out saying it was down to 8 because 8.5 would show on the dipstick that it was too much. I almost want to say that the dipstick is just marked wrong and it's cheaper to just put 8 in instead of making all new dipsticks. Being 8 qts a 1/2 quart won't matter so no big deal.

My guess is the interior volume of the engine was calculated on paper to measure 8.5 quarts of oil technically but the sweet spot is actually just 8 quarts.

I don't agree with the mislabeled dipstick theory. Dipsticks are cheap to replace and if it was just a mis-labeled dipstick, GM would implement a production change on the dipsticks for the trucks made after the discrepancy was found and simply replace the dipsticks in the trucks that had the wrong ones. The main thing at the the end of the day is to have the correct amount of oil in the engine and a revision in the oil quantity seems more likely to mean that 8.5 quarts is too much oil for these engines.

For what it's worth, when I had my BG service done at my side mechanic, he had to change the oil after the service and the truck took just under 8 quarts of oil to read correctly on the dipstick.

gmLogoFlat.gif Service Information

Document ID: 3998244
#PIP5231A: Concern of engine oil dipstick indicating an overfill - (Oct 9, 2014)
Subject: Concern of engine oil dipstick indicating an overfill

999999995.gif Models: 2015 Cadillac Escalade 2014-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Suburban, Tahoe 2014-2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Yukon with engines 5.3L, 6.2L RPO's L83, L86

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIP5231.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

The Engine oil dipstick indicates an overfill when performing a PDI or after an oil and filter change.

Recommendation/Instructions

Typically you will find the dipstick indicates an overfill of 1/2qt of Engine oil.

There is no need to drain the oil at this time, as this concern will not damage the engine nor affect operation.

When it is time for the oil change, fill with the recommended amount of engine oil as specified in SI

SI has been updated with the engine oil (with filter) fill specification of 8 quarts or 7.57 Liters for 5.3L, 6.2L RPO's L83, L86 engines in the models lists above.

Note: The correct “full” mark is the upper dimple and the “add” mark is the lowest bottom dimple on the Engine oil dipstick

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

999999994.gif

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2015 General Motors. All rights reserved.

gmLogoFlat.gif Service Information

Document ID: 3998244
#PIP5231A: Concern of engine oil dipstick indicating an overfill - (Oct 9, 2014)
Subject: Concern of engine oil dipstick indicating an overfill

999999995.gif Models: 2015 Cadillac Escalade 2014-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Suburban, Tahoe 2014-2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Yukon with engines 5.3L, 6.2L RPO's L83, L86

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIP5231.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

The Engine oil dipstick indicates an overfill when performing a PDI or after an oil and filter change.

Recommendation/Instructions

Typically you will find the dipstick indicates an overfill of 1/2qt of Engine oil.

There is no need to drain the oil at this time, as this concern will not damage the engine nor affect operation.

When it is time for the oil change, fill with the recommended amount of engine oil as specified in SI

SI has been updated with the engine oil (with filter) fill specification of 8 quarts or 7.57 Liters for 5.3L, 6.2L RPO's L83, L86 engines in the models lists above.

Note: The correct “full” mark is the upper dimple and the “add” mark is the lowest bottom dimple on the Engine oil dipstick

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

999999994.gif

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2015 General Motors. All rights reserved.

I take this to mean that even with 8 quarts, the dipstick will still read over full.

I take this to mean that even with 8 quarts, the dipstick will still read over full.

Shouldn't....the issue is if you put in 8.5 quarts it will read over full,but with 8 it should not.

Shouldn't....the issue is if you put in 8.5 quarts it will read over full,but with 8 it should not.

I have just under 8 in mine and it reads over full. It's just not AS over full as it used to be. Also if you read that bulletin, they're saying that it's normal to read overfull and to still go ahead and put the recommended amount of 8 quarts, not reduce it to 8 quarts from 8.5 in order to get a correct reading. I dunno maybe I'm misunderstanding it. It's not written very well haha

On the previous generation GMT-900 models, the owner manual said the oil capacity was 6.0 quarts and to check the oil when it was warm. If you checked it cold, it would show 1/4 to 1/2 quart overfull. But if you checked it warm, it would show right on full because some of the oil was still up in the engine. Maybe this is the same situation here. Wonder why they went from 6 quarts to 8 quarts capacity from 2013 to 2014? So the AFM motors could be low and still have some oil in them??

On the previous generation GMT-900 models, the owner manual said the oil capacity was 6.0 quarts and to check the oil when it was warm. If you checked it cold, it would show 1/4 to 1/2 quart overfull. But if you checked it warm, it would show right on full because some of the oil was still up in the engine. Maybe this is the same situation here. Wonder why they went from 6 quarts to 8 quarts capacity from 2013 to 2014? So the AFM motors could be low and still have some oil in them??

Cooling

These are completely new engines from 13 to 14 MY.

Cooling and longer change interval.

As already mentioned, they're 2 different engines. The 4.3, 5.3 and 6.2 in the K2s are all newly designed engine. And more QTs means less often the oil is being run through the engine so it last even longer.

Archived