Can I Clay Bar Over Decals?

Going to be using a clay bar for the first time (have done lots of reading on here) but still have one question. Can i clay bar right over my Z-71 decals on my truck? I am thinking the answer is yes, but still the decals are over the clear coat...so should i avoid going over them?

Thanks Ryan!

Going to be using a clay bar for the first time (have done lots of reading on here) but still have one question. Can i clay bar right over my Z-71 decals on my truck? I am thinking the answer is yes, but still the decals are over the clear coat...so should i avoid going over them?

Thanks Ryan!

Stay away from the decals. Just do the paint as close as you can without actually going over them and then wax as you normally would. You'll be happy.

Total bar newb, how do you use them??Gonna pick up a Turtle Wax ice kit real soon.

Nothing to it as long as you keep the bar very well lubricated with the spray while you are rubbing the finish. The bar does the work. Rinse, Dry, and wax. It's a simple and very rewarding process.

I have heard that the Ice Liquid Clay doesn't work too well, I've heard you need to use a clay bar after using it. Just stick with a real clay bar. Megs, Mothers, etc. The starter kits come with clay, lube, and microfiber cloth, possibly other things.

As Zembones said, just keep it lubricated. Also do small sections at a time, 12-18 inches square. If you drop the bar on the ground, throw it away. Don't push down really hard, just a light touch is all you need. You will feel the bar grab the crap off the paint, and after a couple of passes you'll feel no more grabbing.

I would say it gets a good 90% of the crap off the paint, just did mine and my fathers maximum this weekend, man was i beat after claying and waxing two cars but the results are nice. Also made the mistake of putting my morning coffee on my hood and it promptly slid right off of it. :(:D

And do not use that liquid cheapo stuff, i still believe imo that a actual clay bar from megs or mothers and one of their good carnuba waxes is still the best process to use. That ntx crap never last like a good carnuba does imho.

• 5 weeks later...

Always remember that clay is still an abrasive to some degree. Very minute..but still an abrasive. Stay away from decals....nothing can be gained from going over them and it's easy enough to stay away from them as well. You can go online to a detailer's site and get a good chunk of clay with different levels of grit for a lot less money than getting McQuires clay kit and for a heck of a lot less!

Always remember that clay is still an abrasive to some degree. Very minute..but still an abrasive. Stay away from decals....nothing can be gained from going over them and it's easy enough to stay away from them as well. You can go online to a detailer's site and get a good chunk of clay with different levels of grit for a lot less money than getting McQuires clay kit and for a heck of a lot less!

Meguiar's sells larger bars in their professional line. But for starters, you'll want the stuff the consumer kit comes with. You can later move to some Last Touch spray detailer for less money than you can get the Quick Detailer for.

FYI clay bars are mainly for over spray and common pests like tree sap. If your vehicle is just "dirty" your wasting your time using a clay bar. All your going to get is minimal change and a sore arm.

Your best bet is a polishing compound and wheel. After that 2 coats of wax.

Derek

FYI clay bars are mainly for over spray and common pests like tree sap. If your vehicle is just "dirty" your wasting your time using a clay bar. All your going to get is minimal change and a sore arm.

Your best bet is a polishing compound and wheel. After that 2 coats of wax.

Derek

Or any other bonded contaminant. I disagree with wasting time. Wash the truck, run your fingertips over the surface of the paint, clay that area and dry it off, make sure your fingers are dry and run them over the same area. You will feel a difference.

I can already feel my paint getting less smooth several months after I clayed it.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2409 Meguiar's 5 step process, there's a section on the clay bar.

You don't need to clay for every car wash, once or twice a year is what most people do.

Being fundamentally lazy, I don't think I'd clay more than 2-3 times a yr. Meguires sells large bars and some different grades of it for professional use. There are also power tools and attachments for professional use that hold the clay. I've given some thought to getting the power tool equipment (remember, I'm lazy).

It costs about $150 to clay a truck around my parts, maybe more since I bought a Snugtop shell. With two trucks and a car, I think I could pay for the power equipment quickly.

Archived