Oem Windshield Worth The Cost?

Stex

On the fence…..09 Sierra with a rock chip on windshield in a bad spot (line of sight) and repair did not help. Like to keep my rides like new so, would you pay extra for OEM windshield over and L-glass replacement. $200 for L-glass from a guy the dealers use or about $350-400 for OEM…you get the GM on the windshield…installer said quality about the same…fit may be better on OEM? Did a non-OEM on wife’s Acura and it had distortions etc…replaced with OEM… Anybody know about the glass business and quality difference? Thanks

I am not sure I would fork out the extra money for the OEM. Check the aftermarket glass for distortions before they put it in, tell you wife you paid for the OEM and pretso, $200 worth of mad money.

I am actually surpirsed that they fixed your chip in the line of sight. Up here they won't even go near it.

On the fence…..09 Sierra with a rock chip on windshield in a bad spot (line of sight) and repair did not help. Like to keep my rides like new so, would you pay extra for OEM windshield over and L-glass replacement. $200 for L-glass from a guy the dealers use or about $350-400 for OEM…you get the GM on the windshield…installer said quality about the same…fit may be better on OEM? Did a non-OEM on wife's Acura and it had distortions etc…replaced with OEM… Anybody know about the glass business and quality difference? Thanks

Is your insurance paying? If so, then why would you not get the OEM?

On the fence…..09 Sierra with a rock chip on windshield in a bad spot (line of sight) and repair did not help. Like to keep my rides like new so, would you pay extra for OEM windshield over and L-glass replacement. $200 for L-glass from a guy the dealers use or about $350-400 for OEM…you get the GM on the windshield…installer said quality about the same…fit may be better on OEM? Did a non-OEM on wife's Acura and it had distortions etc…replaced with OEM… Anybody know about the glass business and quality difference? Thanks

Is your insurance paying? If so, then why would you not get the OEM?

Cause insurance says "will repair with same function/fit/form as OEM but does not have to be OEM." as noted above, if there are no issues with the part, insurance will pay out only for what works.

Insurance will not pay as my comp deductable is $500....line of sight of passenger so maybe that is why they fixed...Just not sure of quality difference between L-glass and OEM...I guess I will go on glass guy and friends at dealer to see what they think...there is a third grade called G-glass and the glass guy did not recommend said lower grade than L-glass?? Thanks for the feedback

Insurance will not pay as my comp deductable is $500....line of sight of passenger so maybe that is why they fixed...Just not sure of quality difference between L-glass and OEM...I guess I will go on glass guy and friends at dealer to see what they think...there is a third grade called G-glass and the glass guy did not recommend said lower grade than L-glass?? Thanks for the feedback

I've did the cheaper glass on my last truck. Looked fine. Both will attract stones, so from the durability point, they seem to chip the same.

My new truck got a nasty stone just below the driver viewing area, and they managed to fill it. That windshield only has 10,000 miles on it, so like I said, both attract stones.

Personally, I'd go the cheaper route, and same the difference for beer. :thumbs:

Archived