Best Overall Oil For 5.3l

Back from the dead...

A search for oil filter recommendations brought this thread up. At around five thousand and change I finally changed my oil since I wasn't feeling comfortable with it anymore. A lot of them had been highway miles so that did reduce the impact, but none the less it was time.

I used Castrol GTX High Mileage once again but this time with an AC Delco filter, instead of an STP. Walmart has the 5 quart jug for $17, compared to Autozone for about 27!

She was also washed and waxed right after the oil change, it was a great Sunday for her!

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im still kind of a young grasshopper, but I was always told stay away from AcDel and K&N filters. Heard alot of bad stories behind them collapsing or worse . I Grew up around shops and I guess old habits do die hard. Mobil 1 has always been the pick when money is tight and ROYAL Purple when u can afford it.  I know we can talk about this forever and prob never come to a agreement . But since I still use these products id like to see what everyone thinks and maybe i can away take some pointers and knowledge 

17 hours ago, Josh Bourque said:

Im still kind of a young grasshopper, but I was always told stay away from AcDel and K&N filters. Heard alot of bad stories behind them collapsing or worse . I Grew up around shops and I guess old habits do die hard. Mobil 1 has always been the pick when money is tight and ROYAL Purple when u can afford it.  I know we can talk about this forever and prob never come to a agreement . But since I still use these products id like to see what everyone thinks and maybe i can away take some pointers and knowledge 

The only time the K&N air filters have issues is because of the idiots who over oil them which then causes the MAF sensor to get fouled.  Additionally, if you are pushing 100+HP of extra power over stock, then yes, you might collapse that K&N filter, and many others, for that matter.  But overall, the K&N filter is a great one.  The oil filter isn't too bad either.  Made by the same folks who make a lot of the other premium filters out there.  AC/Delco filter ain't bad at all either, it seems to get decent reviews over at bobistheoilguy website.