Best Overall Oil For 5.3l

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no BEST oil. any of the name brand oils will suffice... changing it at the proper interval is much more important and it sounds like you have that covered. (put on the correct weight too...5w-30)

same goes for filters... some swear by AC Delco, wix, mobile1,etc. Dont dwell over it... one will not perform better than the other.

/common sense

:prepare for flying opinions on what is "best"

Edited by Matt_

IDK which one is best, but I use Mobil 1 5w30 oil and Mobil 1 Filter. Ive also used Valvoline, and Castrol and they were good oils too, seemed to keep the engine clean. I noticed both of these oils ate the crud off of the dipstick in my Camaro and the gf's Grand Prix which shows me they clean pretty good. IDK about the Mobil 1 though because Ive only used it in the truck which is new, but it seems good too.

thanks Matt thats what I figured I was just wanting some opinions. I just changed it and ran an AC filter with Valvoline oil.

no problem man.

people do go crazy with this oil stuff though... its amusing, but sometimes sad at the same time.

Valvoline + AC filter sounds like a stout combination to me =)

You said no synthetics but I use AMSOIL. Its expensive but i've seen a torn down motor that has run it for 250k and the internals look brand new. Its probably not recommended if you change your oil every 3000 anyway. It would be overkill.

I use Schaeffer 9000 full syn with a K&N filter and change at 4000 intervals. I know the K&N is crazy expensive and probably overkill but I love the nut on the bottom of the can. Wont help you much with the syn oil but Schaeffer anything is absolutely great.

i like castrol myself it has always made the motor run smoother and make less noise. if you want a dino oil run Castrol GTX or if you are willing to make the switch to synthetic use either Castrol stntec or edge. with the price of dino oil now on the rise and the deals that can be had on synthetic oils at walmart it is silly not to make the switch for about 1/3 more money you have oil that can easily last 2-3 time longer in mileage. monetarily it makes sense to switch to synthetic.

a lot of you change oil way too early. with the new blends the 3k mile rule doesn't really apply anymore. you can easily go 5k on dino oil and 15k on synthetic. personally i go 4k and 10k respectively but to change synthetic at 3k miles is just wasting money.

Edited by jerseydrew

a lot of you change oil way too early. with the new blends the 3k mile rule doesn't really apply anymore. you can easily go 5k on dino oil and 15k on synthetic. personally i go 4k and 10k respectively but to change synthetic at 3k miles is just wasting money.

...especially when even your truck owner's manual specifies a change interval of 5K miles!

Edited by Pittsburgh PK

thanks Matt thats what I figured I was just wanting some opinions. I just changed it and ran an AC filter with Valvoline oil.

no problem man.

people do go crazy with this oil stuff though... its amusing, but sometimes sad at the same time.

That's what went in Our Truck, Valvoline Premium 5W-30, and the PF48 AC Filter. The Dealer won't notice the Difference!

no problem man.

:lol: