Best Overall Oil For 5.3l

Oil threads are like asking who has the best girlfriend or wife...but here is my two cents:

I have a 90 GMC sub 350ci with 352,000 miles on same engine with no repairs...run Quaker state and delco filter every 3,000 mile on the dot...

I run mobil 1 oil and filter in my new Sierra, not sure why based on my sub...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a lot of you change oil way too early. with the new blends the 3k mile rule doesn't really apply anymore. you can easily go 5k on dino oil and 15k on synthetic. personally i go 4k and 10k respectively but to change synthetic at 3k miles is just wasting money.

...especially when even your truck owner's manual specifies a change interval of 5K miles!

no it dosen't, its 3k in the owners manuel

a lot of you change oil way too early. with the new blends the 3k mile rule doesn't really apply anymore. you can easily go 5k on dino oil and 15k on synthetic. personally i go 4k and 10k respectively but to change synthetic at 3k miles is just wasting money.

...especially when even your truck owner's manual specifies a change interval of 5K miles!

no it dosen't, its 3k in the owners manuel

it says to change within 3k miles IF the oil life system is reset accidentally not that it is the recommended interval.

I run the full oil life meter, but use Mobil 1 and a factory filter for my peace of mind. I average about 7-8k between changes with mostly highway driving.

Ditto, I don't have the memory for trying to keep track of mileage, light comes on, I change it.

I run Pennzoil Platinum with Napa Gold filter and change every 5k miles. I have never had any problems. No burning oil whatsoever. I don't have any problem using the pf-48 but if they ever changing that to the E-core, I would not use it.

I think that this should be the last oil conversation allowed.

But since I don't want to sit on the sidelines and be left out of the mayhem....MOBIL 1

i run canola oil with 2 scoops of grape kool aid with an ac delco filter.................................it all seriousness go to the store and buy a good brand of oil like castrol,valvoline,mobil one and get a good filter like ac delco, K&N, wix and be happy....asking what oils best is like asking what beer is best, to each their own...

OP.

If you change your oil every 3000 miles, you can run almost anything in it that has the correct viscosity. At 3000 mile change intervals, you have nothing at all to worry about because you are only using about 30% of your oil's life anyway.

Buy what's on sale.

i run canola oil with 2 scoops of grape kool aid with an ac delco filter.

GOD DANG IT...I knew grape was the way to go. That guy at NAPA told me strawberry was what I needed.

It appears I was had again.

Mobil 1 5w-30 + K&N HP-1017 filter.

Generally change the oil between 20-30% left on the OLM which averages about 7-8k miles.

Doesnt burn any oil what so ever.

But like others have said, just buy a brand name oil and quality filter and you will be fine.

GM's opinion on 3,000 mile oil changes.

Goodwrench Busts Auto Care Myths One Myth at a Time

Effort begins by educating consumers that 3,000-mile oil changes are a thing of the past

Grand Blanc, Mich. (November 6, 2008) — Goodwrench is sending a few automotive maintenance myths to the scrap heap in an effort to help consumers save money, time and wear and tear on the environment. The effort continues with the biggest myth in the business, the often-recommended 3,000-mile / three-month oil change.

GM is debunking this myth with its patented engine Oil Life System (OLS). Because GM’s OLS tells vehicle owners exactly when to change their oil based on individual driving habits, a motorist who drives an average of 15,000 miles per year, this could mean between two to three fewer oil changes annually.

“ The GM Oil Life System monitors combustion events, engine temperature and other parameters to gauge the oil's life,” said Matthew Snider, GM’s lead engineer for the GM Oil Life System . “Over the years, millions of test miles have been accumulated to calibrate the system for a variety of vehicles. Keeping pace with technology, the system continues to be upgraded periodically to account for advances in lubrication and engine design.”

Besides saving time and money, cutting out unnecessary oil changes also helps protect the environment. According to Margo Reid Brown, director of the California Environmental Protection Agency’s California Integrated Waste Management Board (CIWMB), just one gallon of oil that makes its way into our waterways can pollute a million gallons of water.

More than 97 percent of GM vehicles sold today in the U.S. and more than 31 million GM vehicles currently on American roads are equipped with the OLS. The system is based on an algorithm that tracks engine revolutions and temperature, and predicts oil life based on these parameters and driver use. If all drivers of GM vehicles currently equipped with the system in the U.S. use the system as intended, they would save more than 100 million gallons of motor oil consumed annually, compared to the 3,000 mile interval.

The American Petroleum Institute states that more than 1 billion gallons of motor oil are sold each year in the U.S. Of this, about 185 million gallons of used motor oil are disposed of improperly each year – dumped onto the ground, tossed into the trash or poured down the drain, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Earlier this year, the California Environmental Protection Agency’s California Integrated Waste Management Board (CIWMB) and General Motors joined forces to encourage drivers to follow their vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations on oil changes.

“Drivers across the country can do their part by debunking this myth and not wasting oil that still has life by changing it prematurely,” said the CIWMB’s Brown

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility.../ols_110608.jsp

"would save more than 100 million gallons of motor oil consumed annually"

Not hard to see why the 3,000 mile oil change lives on, the oil change industry is making a lot of money off of gullible consumers.

Edited by elcamino

3000 mile oil changes have always been nothing more than a marketing hoax. Go get your oil changed at any quickie lube joint today and they will still put a sticker on the windshield telling you to come back in three thousand miles.

All about the money and has nothing to do with oil life but there are probably a ton of people in here that are brainwashed into believing that they have to do 3000 mile oil changes to maintain their vehicle properly... and they ain't changing their mind!

Brainwashing is powerful.

3000 mile oil changes have always been nothing more than a marketing hoax. Go get your oil changed at any quickie lube joint today and they will still put a sticker on the windshield telling you to come back in three thousand miles.

All about the money and has nothing to do with oil life but there are probably a ton of people in here that are brainwashed into believing that they have to do 3000 mile oil changes to maintain their vehicle properly... and they ain't changing their mind!

Brainwashing is powerful.

:confused: