'09 Silvy Vent Noise

I have an '09 Silverado and I have just noticed a strange noise in the AC vent to the right of the steering wheel. It sounds like there is something plastic rolling around in the vent whenever I am using AC, heat or just circulating air. Here is the curveball, if I close the vent a tiny bit (turn the dial a tad from the wavy lines to the X) the sound stops. What the H*** could be causing this? Thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same noise here as well. It really rattles when I am comming to a stop and apply the breaks. I have been meaning to go by the dealer just have not gotten around to it yet. Almost want to say it's the linkage between the control wheel and the door itself.

Make sure the vent direction selection switch is centered on the direction desired. Then move it from one direction to another and back to the top. See if that sets anything different. I had a similar noise and it appeared the the vent direction was not fully set causing my noise. Only happened once to me.

My 2010 does this also. Noticed for the 1st time a few wks ago when we took a road trip. I would close the vent a bit and re-open and it would go away for awhile then come back. I did this a few times while driving.

Add another one that has that, mine really makes the noise on the 2 fastest setting. I asked the service department while it was in for something else when I first got and they said they couldn't hear it, talk about thinking your loosing your mind.

Back of the baffle is to close to the housing in certain positions is what I remember about the problem. Seems you needed to place some foam behind it to get it to stop. Mine is the same.

I figured better to have this lil bit of noise, that can be quiet in the correct position, than some other noise develope after the dash is removed and reinstalled on a repair?

Go to your dealer

you want this document

PIT4485B

describes in detail where to add foam strips to eliminate the hvac whistling you are hearing...

Is that supposed to be a link, cause it ain't working. I've also tried goggling that bit o numbers and ended up with nada.

Archived