Hows That Winter Gas

Does anyone notice a difference with winter gas, i mean i understand since i warm up my truck and since its cold im going to get worse mileage, but i was averaging about 13 mpg bombin around and now i get under 10, i used to go 350 miles on a tank and now i go barely 280, i dont get it and it sucks i have to pay so much for subpar gas, anybody else notice this?

You'll get less mpg with winter gas, warm-up time obviously will affect how far you can get now on a full tank than compared to the summer time.

Yep, The last two mornings I've probably used twice as much gas warming the truck up than it took to get to work. :)

As far as I know, sense E10 has become widespread, there is no difference in the gasoline blends from winter to summer. To be honest, I'm not so sure that there ever was more than just talk about it (ie. sales pitch).

Your vehicle is getting worse gas mileage in the winter because the engine is on cold enrichment longer due to the colder ambient temperatures.

As far as I know, sense E10 has become widespread, there is no difference in the gasoline blends from winter to summer

There are different blends.

In the summer, when temperatures can exceed 100 degrees F in many locations, it is important that the RVP of gasoline is well below 14.7. Otherwise, it can pressure up your gas tanks and gas cans, and it can boil in open containers. Gas that is boiled off ends up in the atmosphere, and contributes to air pollution. Therefore, the EPA has declared that summer gasoline blends may not exceed 7.8 psi in some locations, and 9.0 psi in others.

A typical summer gasoline blend might consist of 40% FCC gas, 25% straight run gas, 15% alkylate, 18% reformate, and 2% butane. The RVP of the gasoline blend depends on how much of each component is in the blend, and what the RVP is of each component. Butane is a relatively inexpensive ingredient in gasoline, but it has the highest vapor pressure at around 52 psi.

In a gasoline blend, each component contributes a fraction to the overall RVP. In the case of butane, if there is 10% butane in the blend, it will contribute around 5.2 psi (10% of 52 psi) to the overall blend. (In reality, it is slightly more complicated than this, because some components interact with each other which can affect the expected RVP). This means that in the summer, the butane fraction must be very low in the gasoline, or the overall RVP of the blend will be too high. That is the primary difference between winter and summer gasoline blends.

Why Prices Fall in the Fall

Winter gasoline blends are phased in as the weather gets cooler. September 15th is the date of the first increase in RVP, and in some areas the allowed RVP eventually increases to 15 psi. This has two implications for gasoline prices every fall. First, as noted, butane is a cheaper blending component than most of the other ingredients. That makes fall and winter gasoline cheaper to produce. But butane is also abundant, so that means that gasoline supplies effectively increase as the RVP requirement increases. Not only that, but this all takes place after summer driving season, when demand typically falls off.

These factors normally combine each year to reduce gasoline prices in the fall (even in non-election years). The RVP is stepped back down to summer levels starting in the spring, and this usually causes prices to increase. But lest you think of buying cheap winter gasoline and storing it until spring or summer, remember that it will pressure up as the weather heats up, and the contained butane will start to vaporize out of the mix.

And that's why gasoline prices generally fall back in the fall, and spring forward in the spring.

Anothr article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14806032/ns/bu...on_the_economy/

I have noticed about a 1 mpg drop in using E85 in both my Tahoe and Truck since the last week in December.

I believe it's the fact that your warming up your vehicle thats dropping the mileage. Not necessarily the fuel thats cause it. I've noticed it too but I warm it up about 10 minutes or more everyday before leaving and it adds up. :)

I dont warm mine up

I wasn't implying you since you were talking about E85. I was referring to the "warm up" factor burning more gas while traveling Zero miles which in return makes your perception of a mileage reduction. :)

As far as I know, sense E10 has become widespread, there is no difference in the gasoline blends from winter to summer

There are different blends.

In the summer, when temperatures can exceed 100 degrees F in many locations, it is important that the RVP of gasoline is well below 14.7. Otherwise, it can pressure up your gas tanks and gas cans, and it can boil in open containers. Gas that is boiled off ends up in the atmosphere, and contributes to air pollution. Therefore, the EPA has declared that summer gasoline blends may not exceed 7.8 psi in some locations, and 9.0 psi in others.

A typical summer gasoline blend might consist of 40% FCC gas, 25% straight run gas, 15% alkylate, 18% reformate, and 2% butane. The RVP of the gasoline blend depends on how much of each component is in the blend, and what the RVP is of each component. Butane is a relatively inexpensive ingredient in gasoline, but it has the highest vapor pressure at around 52 psi.

In a gasoline blend, each component contributes a fraction to the overall RVP. In the case of butane, if there is 10% butane in the blend, it will contribute around 5.2 psi (10% of 52 psi) to the overall blend. (In reality, it is slightly more complicated than this, because some components interact with each other which can affect the expected RVP). This means that in the summer, the butane fraction must be very low in the gasoline, or the overall RVP of the blend will be too high. That is the primary difference between winter and summer gasoline blends.

Why Prices Fall in the Fall

Winter gasoline blends are phased in as the weather gets cooler. September 15th is the date of the first increase in RVP, and in some areas the allowed RVP eventually increases to 15 psi. This has two implications for gasoline prices every fall. First, as noted, butane is a cheaper blending component than most of the other ingredients. That makes fall and winter gasoline cheaper to produce. But butane is also abundant, so that means that gasoline supplies effectively increase as the RVP requirement increases. Not only that, but this all takes place after summer driving season, when demand typically falls off.

These factors normally combine each year to reduce gasoline prices in the fall (even in non-election years). The RVP is stepped back down to summer levels starting in the spring, and this usually causes prices to increase. But lest you think of buying cheap winter gasoline and storing it until spring or summer, remember that it will pressure up as the weather heats up, and the contained butane will start to vaporize out of the mix.

And that's why gasoline prices generally fall back in the fall, and spring forward in the spring.

Anothr article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14806032/ns/bu...on_the_economy/

I have noticed about a 1 mpg drop in using E85 in both my Tahoe and Truck since the last week in December.

+1 on the info on different blends info. Blends can differ by geography. Gas that is sold 50 miles from me can't be sold in my area because of different blending. Thanks EPA.

I'm able to purchase ethanol free fuel in my area with no problems

Archived