Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My 07 aluminum block uses .5-1 qt every 3k, I had no idea these trucks did it before I bought it. I just buy an extra quart and keep it in the back seat (Mobil Super High Mileage). I have seen no ill effects as of yet I have put almost 14k miles on it since April when I got it, now at 73k.

Thats normal for the 5.3 My 07 uses about 0.5qts every 3000 miles and I have 37k miles.

Ive put about 13k miles on since I bought it last year.

-matt

Edited by mattymax

Here I am again with an update;

1st repair was the PCV/valve cover replacement at 31k.

2nd repair was driver side lifters, decarbon the piston rings, and AFM relief valve shield at 52k.

3rd and most recent repair was new pistons and rings at 74k.

Once again I was assured by the service manager that GM will continue to fix or repair the excessive oil consumption problems outside the 100k warranty. When I get near or around the 90k mark, I will most likely be contacting GM myself to express my concerns. It saddens me to see the '08, '09, and '10's are now having this same problem. I truly would have liked to be one of the lucky ones that didn't get an oil burner.

Edited by mtiffinal
  • Like 1

I have a 2011 Silverado 1/2 ton with an aluminum block 5.3L AFM engine. Bought the truck new in January 2011. I've put approx. 24,300 miles on it and the last three oil changes I've noticed that its been between 1/2 qt. to 1 at. low. I use Mobil 1 5w30 with a 4,500mi to 5,000mi oil change interval. Have not seen any change in fuel mileage since purchase. Truck gets a steady 15.9 mpg all around. My '06 Silverado 1/2 ton 5.3L went over 150K miles and did not consume oil. The '06 also got about the same mpg as the '11. While the fuel mileage is not a concern, the oil consumption is. Dealer keeps telling me that 1qt every 2000K miles is acceptable. I've never had a new engine, or an engine that was not clearanced, use oil like this.

2009 Iron Block Flex Fuel option engine(never use E85 never will!)

Mostly highway driven.

Started using oil at approx 30K.Using about 1qt between oil change intervals 3-4K miles needs 1qt added before next oil change.

Using Wix oil filters and 5W-30 full synthetic Supertech from Walmart which is GM Approved.

No blue smoke noted on start ups.

Seems to be par for the course from what I read so far,Will monitor to see if it gets any worst.

Edited by VRSCA1

My wife's started burning oil a while ago but not enough for concern, until we went on a 1500 mile trip and it was already in the middle of the markes on the dip stick 1/2 way through our trip and i changed it 2 weeks before we left. i topped it off and before i knew it couples weeks afer we got back my wife says her oil light came on. After this last oil change with 65% oil life left it was a little over a quart low. Today i started the moneriting process at the dealership. The service guy told me he did 2 valve covers and PCV vavles on 2 other SUVs and it fixed thier problem and he could do it to mine, but according to alldata and the tsb its not for 07 and 08s.

2007 GMC Yukon 5.3 Flex fuel & AFM

This is the newest one

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 10-06-01-008B

Date: March 07, 2011

Subject: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder)

Models:

2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2009 GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Equipped with Aluminum Block V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (RPOs LC9, LH6, L76, LFA, L92)

with Greater than 45,000 km (28,000 mi)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year and new Correction information for the 2009 model year - left rocker arm cover replacement. Information has also been added after step 9. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-008A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000 mi). Verify that the induction system is assembled correctly and that there is no evidence that the engine has been ingesting dirty air due to a mis-assembled induction system. Also verify that the PCV system is functioning properly. If diagnostic procedures indicate that oil consumption is piston/piston ring related, verify that oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart. If these conditions are met and oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart, perform the service indicated in this bulletin.

Cause

This condition may be caused by oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption.

Correction

2009 Vehicles Only

Important

This left rocker arm cover is NOT to be used on 2007-2008 vehicles because of the calibration of the PCV orifice being different in 2007-2008.

A new left rocker arm cover has been released for 2009 engines. Technicians should replace the left rocker arm cover with GM P/N 12642655. This rocker arm cover has relocated PCV drain holes that prevents PCV pullover into the intake manifold. Refer to SI for Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Left Side.

2008-2007 Vehicles Only

To correct this condition, perform the piston cleaning procedure as described in this document, and install a shield over the AFM pressure relief valve per the procedure outlined in this document. Monitor oil consumption after this repair to ensure oil consumption has improved to acceptable levels. If this repair does not correct the condition, it may be necessary to replace the piston assemblies (piston and rings) with new parts.

Important

It is critical in this cleaning process that the engine/fuel injector cleaner remain in the cylinders for a minimum of 2.5 hours to fully clean the components. The cleaner solution must be removed before a maximum of three hours.

1. Verify the oil consumption concern following Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011F. If oil consumption is found, continue on with this bulletin.

2. Remove the spark plugs and ensure that none of the pistons are at top dead center (TDC).

3. Clean the pistons by putting 118-147 ml (4-5 oz) of Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, GM P/N 88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804), in each cylinder. Allow the material to soak for at least 2.5-3.0 hours, but no more than three hours and then remove the cleaner. A suggested method of removing the cleaner is cranking engine over. Make sure to unplug the ignition coils and fuel injector before cranking the engine over. Also make sure that the painted surfaces are covered so no damage is done.

4. Remove the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Replacement in SI.

6. Install the new shield (1), GM P/N 12639759, and tighten the AFM valve to the oil pan to 28 Nm (20 lb ft).

Important

Ensure that the engine cleaner is thoroughly removed before reinstalling the spark plugs. Failure to do so may result in a hydro-lock condition.

7. Reinstall the spark plugs. Replace the spark plugs if necessary due to full of carbon. Refer to the parts catalog.

8. Reinstall the oil pan. Refer to the Oil Pan Installation procedure in SI. Replace the oil pan gasket if necessary. Refer to the parts catalog. Replace the engine oil if necessary.

9. Re-evaluate the oil consumption. Document on the repair order. If the oil consumption is still greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 km (2000 mi), replacement of the pistons and rings will be required.

I have been driving under an oil consumption test since GM did my last oil change. Today the "Add Oil" msg came up after 4000kms. Took it in, and on the spot, the service guy was like "yup, no good, Can you leave it here for 4 hrs?" and explained the bulletin about the valve covers and the AFM deflector, etc. etc. Anyway, it also involves cleaning the cylinders and rings? No charge. So I guess we'll see what happens.

Does someone have a copy of this Bulletin? So I can read in detail what they are doing before I go pick it up in a few hours?? Thanks...

Oh and I should mention... its the 5.3L w/AFM, and 95,000kms on the clock. AND as an added plus, I'll plug the dealership (Murray GM in Abbotsford, BC) since they have been very helpful in dealing with all of this with no grief. Gave me a coffee and a muffin while I waited, and then drove me home and will pick me up.

UPDATE from this last post.

Now at 99,656 kms. Since the first step in the warranty repair (the drivers side valve cover replacement at 95,424km) it's going in tomorrow, they're going to drop the oil pan and fix/install something to "fix" this. So here's where we're at:

80,100km Oil change, level now at full.

83,666km Add oil warning

86,470km Oil change

89,192km Add oil warning

91,655km Taken to GM for oil change, and reported problem. Start Oil Consumption Test.

95,424km Add oil warning. GM replaces drivers side rocker cover TSB #10-06-01-008C.

99,656km Add oil warning. GM performs service with 'oil pan deflector' (will have more details once I get the TSB tomorrow when they actually DO the service)

And the saga continues.....

This is the newest one

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 10-06-01-008B

Date: March 07, 2011

Subject: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder)

Models:

2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2009 GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Equipped with Aluminum Block V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (RPOs LC9, LH6, L76, LFA, L92)

with Greater than 45,000 km (28,000 mi)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year and new Correction information for the 2009 model year - left rocker arm cover replacement. Information has also been added after step 9. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-008A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000 mi). Verify that the induction system is assembled correctly and that there is no evidence that the engine has been ingesting dirty air due to a mis-assembled induction system. Also verify that the PCV system is functioning properly. If diagnostic procedures indicate that oil consumption is piston/piston ring related, verify that oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart. If these conditions are met and oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart, perform the service indicated in this bulletin.

Cause

This condition may be caused by oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption.

Correction

2009 Vehicles Only

Important

This left rocker arm cover is NOT to be used on 2007-2008 vehicles because of the calibration of the PCV orifice being different in 2007-2008.

A new left rocker arm cover has been released for 2009 engines. Technicians should replace the left rocker arm cover with GM P/N 12642655. This rocker arm cover has relocated PCV drain holes that prevents PCV pullover into the intake manifold. Refer to SI for Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Left Side.

2008-2007 Vehicles Only

To correct this condition, perform the piston cleaning procedure as described in this document, and install a shield over the AFM pressure relief valve per the procedure outlined in this document. Monitor oil consumption after this repair to ensure oil consumption has improved to acceptable levels. If this repair does not correct the condition, it may be necessary to replace the piston assemblies (piston and rings) with new parts.

Important

It is critical in this cleaning process that the engine/fuel injector cleaner remain in the cylinders for a minimum of 2.5 hours to fully clean the components. The cleaner solution must be removed before a maximum of three hours.

1. Verify the oil consumption concern following Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011F. If oil consumption is found, continue on with this bulletin.

2. Remove the spark plugs and ensure that none of the pistons are at top dead center (TDC).

3. Clean the pistons by putting 118-147 ml (4-5 oz) of Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, GM P/N 88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804), in each cylinder. Allow the material to soak for at least 2.5-3.0 hours, but no more than three hours and then remove the cleaner. A suggested method of removing the cleaner is cranking engine over. Make sure to unplug the ignition coils and fuel injector before cranking the engine over. Also make sure that the painted surfaces are covered so no damage is done.

4. Remove the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Replacement in SI.

6. Install the new shield (1), GM P/N 12639759, and tighten the AFM valve to the oil pan to 28 Nm (20 lb ft).

Important

Ensure that the engine cleaner is thoroughly removed before reinstalling the spark plugs. Failure to do so may result in a hydro-lock condition.

7. Reinstall the spark plugs. Replace the spark plugs if necessary due to full of carbon. Refer to the parts catalog.

8. Reinstall the oil pan. Refer to the Oil Pan Installation procedure in SI. Replace the oil pan gasket if necessary. Refer to the parts catalog. Replace the engine oil if necessary.

9. Re-evaluate the oil consumption. Document on the repair order. If the oil consumption is still greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 km (2000 mi), replacement of the pistons and rings will be required.

My latest service says TSB#10-06-01-008C (does anyone HAVE this TSB???)

Edited by mc7719

It adds some 2010 models and describes changing of the valve cover and PCV valve. PCV pullover or an overactive lifter can cause oil to be pulled through the PCV system even at low vehicle millage. A correctly functioning PCV system will only leave a film of oil in the intake manifold, inspect the intake to see if there is oil puddling at the bottom of the intake manifold. If there is then it will be necessary to replace the left valve cover.

I have been driving under an oil consumption test since GM did my last oil change. Today the "Add Oil" msg came up after 4000kms. Took it in, and on the spot, the service guy was like "yup, no good, Can you leave it here for 4 hrs?" and explained the bulletin about the valve covers and the AFM deflector, etc. etc. Anyway, it also involves cleaning the cylinders and rings? No charge. So I guess we'll see what happens.

Does someone have a copy of this Bulletin? So I can read in detail what they are doing before I go pick it up in a few hours?? Thanks...

Oh and I should mention... its the 5.3L w/AFM, and 95,000kms on the clock. AND as an added plus, I'll plug the dealership (Murray GM in Abbotsford, BC) since they have been very helpful in dealing with all of this with no grief. Gave me a coffee and a muffin while I waited, and then drove me home and will pick me up.

UPDATE from this last post.

Now at 99,656 kms. Since the first step in the warranty repair (the drivers side valve cover replacement at 95,424km) it's going in tomorrow, they're going to drop the oil pan and fix/install something to "fix" this. So here's where we're at:

80,100km Oil change, level now at full.

83,666km Add oil warning

86,470km Oil change

89,192km Add oil warning

91,655km Taken to GM for oil change, and reported problem. Start Oil Consumption Test.

95,424km Add oil warning. GM replaces drivers side rocker cover TSB #10-06-01-008C.

99,656km Add oil warning. GM performs service with 'oil pan deflector' (will have more details once I get the TSB tomorrow when they actually DO the service)

And the saga continues.....

Picked up the truck.... there's a BRAND NEW TSB on this. (Yes, again.) 10-06-01-008D which was issued on January 17, 2012.

Anyway, this time they dropped the front diff, dropped the oil pan, and installed a "bell housing" thing on top of a tube that sprays oil within the oil pan. Kinda like an umbrella.. the tube points up, and this steel 'umbrella' goes on top, and keeps the oil from spraying up, redirecting it down. He showed me the pictures that were on the TSB, it makes alot more sense than I can describe it. Anyway, they also cleaned all the pistons and rings.

So here we go lets see if THIS works.

The service at this dealer has been second to none. No hassles, super friendly.

Edited by mc7719

^^^^^^^ Look at the repairs I stated above, you are getting the ones I had done. The umbrella is NOT a new thing, it was in the TSB used for my second repair. I cannot recall the number off hand, but this is what I referred to as the AFM shield.

My '09 has around 31k miles on it and was burning a quart in around 1600 miles. First time I brought it in, they replaced the driver side valve cover. No change in oil comsumption. Next time they dropped the pan, installed the deflector, and de-carbonized the driver side pistons and rings. Still no change. The last time I brought it in, I was expecting that they would replace pistons and rings, but apparently GM wanted them to try one more drivers valve cover. I'm watching now to see if there will be any change. My dealer has been great to work with, but I gotta say its getting a little old bringing the truck in for this problem...

I just went through this entire thread and added up folks with GMT900 (07+) 5.3 motors, and tallied whether they were using oil or not, and how many posts they've made. I then calculated the "# of Users" vs "# of Posts", and how many in each group are "Using Oil", and "what percent of the sub-group reported using oil". The results:

Summary Table

Only 63 people have taken the time to record their information in the thread. There have been 228 people report that they "use oil" to some degree, and 267 that have reported "none". Of those, 76% have reported that they have a 5.3 motor. If the thread posts are any indication, most 5.3 responders have a 5.3 with AFM. I'm not sure if that's true, but assuming that 80% of those with a 5.3 has AFM, then only 63 / (0.8 * 495) = 15% of folks with an AFM motor who voted have bothered to write anything about it.

One thing is clear: many of the folks posting in this thread have been new forum members, and quite a few appear to have joined solely to post info about oil consumption, or to discuss that specific topic. In fact, a few have less than 5 posts, all of which were in this thread.

Edited by music
  • Like 1

Hey I've been checking on this post for a while now and thought I should share my oil issues. I own a 2007 gmc Sierra that I bought used that consumed oil the day I got it. I've been through the PVC valve,valve cover fix, deflector shield,lifters all of witch had no fix. So last month they decided that the problem was the rings so they changed the pistons and rings. I had hope when the service manager told me the oil rings were collapsed from excessive carbon build up. The bad rings were in the cylinders that shut down during afm. Well long story short 3000 miles later low oil light comes on wtf. When I bring it in they said it was only down 1.5 quarts so I ask how they came to that conclusion. Their answer was they refill the truck with oil until its full.I asked them what they considered full,they said the top of the marks on the dipstick. If anyone has been through this and checked their oil after a dealer service you will notice that when they change your it's normally a half inch obove the marks.basically they put 6 quarts and don't bother checking the actuall level. The dealer really didn't know what to say because now the actuall loss was 2.5. After a long talk they have agreed to replace the engine. My last truck was an 02 silver ado with 250k that maybe burnt a half quart at 5000 miles acceptable.they also didn't want to admit the reason booth catalytic converters and 02 sensors were from the oil burning needless to say there getting replaced too. Thanks

• Like 1

Hey I've been checking on this post for a while now and thought I should share my oil issues. I own a 2007 gmc Sierra that I bought used that consumed oil the day I got it. I've been through the PVC valve,valve cover fix, deflector shield,lifters all of witch had no fix. So last month they decided that the problem was the rings so they changed the pistons and rings. I had hope when the service manager told me the oil rings were collapsed from excessive carbon build up. The bad rings were in the cylinders that shut down during afm. Well long story short 3000 miles later low oil light comes on wtf. When I bring it in they said it was only down 1.5 quarts so I ask how they came to that conclusion. Their answer was they refill the truck with oil until its full.I asked them what they considered full,they said the top of the marks on the dipstick. If anyone has been through this and checked their oil after a dealer service you will notice that when they change your it's normally a half inch obove the marks.basically they put 6 quarts and don't bother checking the actuall level. The dealer really didn't know what to say because now the actuall loss was 2.5. After a long talk they have agreed to replace the engine. My last truck was an 02 silver ado with 250k that maybe burnt a half quart at 5000 miles acceptable.they also didn't want to admit the reason booth catalytic converters and 02 sensors were from the oil burning needless to say there getting replaced too. Thanks

It sounds like these will be the next steps for me.