Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Ryan is there a thread like this for the 800s? My truck has been losing oil since about 70k miles. I think I found one possible leak but that was only recently so still looking around for any other possible leaks as my "comsumption" has dramitically increased as of my last oil change.

I wish I found this site sooner!

2009 Chevy Crew cab 5.3L Mobil 1 52,300 (started using oil 22-26mi)

First let me just say from the 1st day of my life I have been a CHEVY GUY. My grandfather retired from Cadillac and GM products were the only vehicles allowed in my family’s driveway.

I have been struggling with my dealership for months on my Tuck using oil. I took it in a few months back so I could explain to the service writer that using a quart of oil every 3000 miles is unacceptable and for him just to explain to me how a combustion engine works. Now I do feel the need to point out I KNOW HOW AN ENGINE WORKS! I haven’t been back to that dealership since. I took it to the next town over (20 MIN AWAY) were they at least so far have been helpful. They explained to me that GM standard is 1 quart every 2000 miles. I don’t agree but at least they didn’t treat me like a turd on the floor. Last week after keeping a close eye on my oil level it went well below the GM standard (1qt in 1000). I called and made an appointment for them to “check my oil”. I toped it off on Thursday (took a picture of the dip stick) drove it to Michigan and back (Erie Pa) checked the oil level when I got back….. 1 qt. in under 800 miles… needless to say I am not at all pleased. I called my current dealership and explained how much oil it is eating called GM, reopened my ticket (71-1055799308) and found this is not an isolated issue (thankx guys).

My Blackstone oil analysis

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=172922&Number=2578133#Post2578133

• 2 weeks later...

2009 GMC Sierra Crew SLE 2WD. 5.3L Iron Block AFM 180,000 km (112,000 mi). Just had to put in 1L after 9800km (6100mi) 48% of oil use before change by the DIC.

I guess that should be normal for time on engine. Towing around 60,000km (37,000 mi) of that total.

I have a seep at the main bearing as well.

I guess ill come off the Mobile 1 and head to high mileage oils and see if it improves.

My timeline:

80,100km Oil change, level now at full.

83,666km Add oil warning

86,470km Oil change

89,192km Add oil warning

91,655km Taken to GM for oil change, and reported problem. Start Oil Consumption Test.

95,424km Add oil warning. GM replaces drivers side rocker cover TSB #10-06-01-008C.

99,656km Add oil warning. GM performs service with 'oil pan deflector'

103,976km Add oil warning. GM replaced pistons, rings, spark plugs.

Over 3,000kms so far and not a drop burned. In fact my service guy called to see how it was going so far! Knock on wood, I think this might be it!

• Like 1

Same here...I had a 2010 sierra SLT CC 4x4 5.3 AFM. Mobile 1 since 1,000 miles. At 16,000 I noticed a slight knocking/ ticking at start which triggered me to check my oil to find it low. I then added a whole quart to bring oil level back to normal. 2 weeks, 650 miles later I was then 3/4 of a quart low. I say that because it took 3/4 of a quart to bring back to normal level. I then got on here and several other threads and read hours and hours for 3 weeks on the 5.3 AFM burning/ using oil. I then could only imagine the night meres to come and I'm only at 16,000 miles. I then got the whole idea GM DOES NOT HAVE A FIX FOR THIS. IMO. They are so deep with the AFM in there vehicles now for several years. In efforts to meet government specs to make more fuel efficient vehicles which results in lower emissions tax for car manufactures...IMO. GM way was AFM. Ford is eco boost. All are going the same route with hybrid etc. Thing is GM, again is so deep now it's like there's no going back..another words there not getting rid of AFM motors anytime soon. In the long run, I think it will build a bad reputation for them but you'll still have your Chevy and GMC lovers..I am! GM throws band aid fix's with new lifters, rings, seals etc but the problem still there. In some cases I've read where it actually does okay for 2,000 miles or so but then goes right back to drinking oil. Most cases it never fix's the problem. So my recommendation DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH AFM...IMO. If so, I would get a tune to turn AFM off like most have. I only wish I would've found this out before I bought just like everybody else. However, I decided not to go to the dealership and deal with all the BS, stress, anxiety that others have. After reading all the horror story's of dealing with it and still to this day GM doesn't have a real solid fix..IMO. I've read enough and found all the info I needed to know. I then searched around and found they make the 1500 with a 6.2 non AFM. Hard to find a GMC 1500 6.2 in the south east. Only found 2 between NC, SC, and FL and they were both at the same dealer in SC. One 2012 and a left over 2011. Got the 2011 SLT fully loaded 4x4 sunroof and all with 6.2. Got around $7,500 off sticker price so it was a better deal and traded that oil sucking 5.3 in. I've now had the 6.2 for 4 months just hit 3,500 miles. This thing is a beast and I love it. Again all of the above is just my opinion and experience. Each to there own. SSL...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

well 5k miles since the work at the dealer and i did the oil change. i checked the level before starting and it was just a hair below the bottom of the hash area (not surprised since the filter backed off and dripped some oil out about 1500 miles ago). i am happy with the way the truck is now.

• Like 1

3/4 qt in 4K, I think your on the right track. Mine is probably more tha that, hard to tell because I change the oil based on time instead of miles. I live 4 miles from our business and really don't do any long distance driving and I live in town so my engine is going to use more oil from the harsher conditions anyway. Unless mine really starts to go through oil, I'm just going to let it be...it runs so sweet and smooth now.

Update,

Mine is in right now for new pistons and rings. The tech is doing the job with the block still in the truck. I'll report when I get her back. 54K on the ODO.

Kxlexus, if you have the time would you mind posting the parts they replaced like gaskets, rings, pistons, etc, and I'll do the same when I get my Sierra back. We'll compare notes and see if the dealers do the job the same. Thanks.

Went back to my dealer to start another consumption test and was turned down. 5 yrs have passed and I'm out of warranty. Was told by GM if I did a test before the warranty was up, they would still cover it. Guess not. Have lost the service number they gave me. I work with the public, and a lot have asked, how I like my truck. I have seen most of them driving new Fords. This engine will come back and bite GM in the rear. Think the next Pres will bail them out again? I don't.

Went back to my dealer to start another consumption test and was turned down. 5 yrs have passed and I'm out of warranty. Was told by GM if I did a test before the warranty was up, they would still cover it. Guess not. Have lost the service number they gave me. I work with the public, and a lot have asked, how I like my truck. I have seen most of them driving new Fords. This engine will come back and bite GM in the rear. Think the next Pres will bail them out again? I don't.

If you would like, provide the last 8-digits of your VIN (PM if you prefer), and I can look into your case to see if any additional information is available.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis (assisting Tricia)

GM Customer Service