Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

add another one...checked my level today after 1500 miles & found it down a littler over 1/2 a quart...took 20 oz to top it off so it's about 1/3 a quart every 1k miles....truck only has 7500 miles on it..been using Mobil1 since it's first change at 1200 miles....my 07 2500 with the 6.0 never burned a drop, neither did our 07 Tahoe with the 5.3 AFM either...

R U kidding?, an 11 using oil? When mine was in the SA said that they have seen some 10's using oil too.

I have a 2009 Silverado with the 5.3. I only have 22000 on it and do NOT have a problem with oil consumption (YET). How BIG is this problem? You guys got me thinking I should sell this truck BEFORE I get the problem.

Yet when I look in Yahoo or Google for 2009 GM 5.3 oil consumption, or other words to that effect, I get very little information, if any.

I just would like to know what per-centage of 5.3s with AFM have this problem. Should I sell my truck and get a new Ford 150?

Only my opinion, but don't sell. You may be one of the lucky ones. But then again, as the truck ages, you will reduce your equity. Also as time goes on, and more people learn of the fault with the 5.3, it will be harder to sell. The word is getting out, either by mouth, forums, or search engines, and the latter is usually used after a customer has already purchased, then tries to find out what the heck is going on.

• 2 weeks later...

2011 5.3 LT Crew Cab 4x4 with only 9100 miles on it, have owned it less than a year. Engine light came on yesterday and contacted OnStar and they said it was something to do with an oil sensor and recommended checking my oil level but that everything looked fine and light should be off by the next day. Checked my oil and it was over 3 quarts low. My oil life indicator was showing that I was still at about 35% oil life. Brought it to the dealer today and they are replacing the valve cover with an updated one, not sure what the update is. They recommend an oil change based on my last one was about 5,000 miles ago so I'm bringing it back on Tuesday to have the valve cover replaced followed by an oil change and then they want me to start the consumption testing. I'm kicking myself for trading in my 2006 Sierra with a 5.3 and around 53k miles on it, never burned a drop of oil and never had any major problems.

Oh, and non-oil related I had it in the shop a few weeks back. I found that two bolts on the back door hinge were loose, one was about 1/2" out. I tightened it but made them go through every bolt to make sure that they were torqued down. I've never had the door off and the truck was new when I bought it. No clue as to how it got loose as I thought that they were built primarily by robots. I'm dreading what breaks next.

• 2 weeks later...

2008 Silverado 5.3L -

Lifter Broke around 70K - Resulted in New Lifter, New Cam Shaft and Deflector Shield in Oil Pan

80K - New Valve Cover and PCB, Cleaning Solution in Cylinders

86K - New Pistions, Rings, and I don't know what else....It is still in shop (Over 3 Weeks)

It has been consistent - 2 1/2 to 3 qt every 2500 miles

This last time they found lots of oil in the intake manifold.

Seems like they always over fill it on dip stick....this time I am going to make them explain the oil level on the dip stick.

Dealer has been great (slow but great). They give a loaner truck everytime....but after this much time in shop I am not sure I will remember what my truck even looks like!

UPDATE: New piston and rings at 86K......Now at 94K and has used 4 qts......Wondering if I should take it back to see if they will do anything else??

I don't know if anyone on here has discussed the cause of the problem but here is my guess.

1. My truck seems to only lose significant oil with a lot of 4 Cyl Mode driving....Pulled a trailer 300 miles down the interest and no oil lost.

2. Dealer noted that the Intake Manifold was full of oil.

3. Replacing pistons and rings seem to slow the oil lost.

In 4 cyl mode assuming no fuel or firing in 4 cylinders....the pistons are cooler...less thermal expansion of the piston and rings....allowing the oil past the rings.

Not really knowing how the AFM works...Here is my question: How often does the system select which 4 cylinders are the non-firing cylinders? How often does this change? I would hope very often...like every cycle.

I have an appointment at the dealer in two days for an oil change and start the consumption test. My 07 just hit 60,000 miles. I don't drive the truck much but drove about 110 miles recently and the low oil message came on, checked it and found it to be 1.5 quarts low. I have only got 2500 miles on this oil change, thats crazy, and to top it off most of my driving is local so it's a rare event if it kicks into 4 cylinder mode, with that said if most of the oil consumption is when it's in 4 cylinder mode makes me wonder how much I'd burned up if I didn't drive locally.

I bought the truck as a certified used vehicle with bumper to bumper for the 1st 12 months and have about 3-4 months left so I'm not taking any chances figured I'd better get it into the dealer ASAP. The service manager who has always treated me well said that GM standards state that using 1 quart for every 2000 miles is within their exceptable range. I don't really feel burning a quart of oil in only 2000 miles is exceptable. I just hope my truck consumes enough oil that I can have it fixed before the warranty runs out!!

2008 Silverado 5.3L -

Lifter Broke around 70K - Resulted in New Lifter, New Cam Shaft and Deflector Shield in Oil Pan

80K - New Valve Cover and PCB, Cleaning Solution in Cylinders

86K - New Pistions, Rings, and I don't know what else....It is still in shop (Over 3 Weeks)

It has been consistent - 2 1/2 to 3 qt every 2500 miles

This last time they found lots of oil in the intake manifold.

Seems like they always over fill it on dip stick....this time I am going to make them explain the oil level on the dip stick.

Dealer has been great (slow but great). They give a loaner truck everytime....but after this much time in shop I am not sure I will remember what my truck even looks like!

UPDATE: New piston and rings at 86K......Now at 94K and has used 4 qts......Wondering if I should take it back to see if they will do anything else??

Yes, take it back! Even if you're out of the 5 year part of the 5/100K warranty, they still need to make the repair right - it's only been 8K miles since they turned a wrench on it.

FWIW, the first fix they tried on my LC9 was to replace the heads/valves, because they found "excessive oil on the intake valves". The repair sheet cited "excessive valve guide wear". However, that didn't fix the problem at that time. They then replaced the pistons & rings 2K miles later, and that has resulted in zero oil usage for the last 9K miles. It could be that, though your new pistons & rings are preventing any blow-by of the oil, you may have worn valves/guides like mine did, and that's where you're losing your oil.

Regardless of what's causing it, though, your engine shouldn't be using oil, & they're on the hook to keep working at it 'til it's fixed.

FC

Edited by Folically Challengjed

• Took mine in the other day to start the oil consumption test, I checked the oil the next morning after it had plenty of time to set and it's 3/8"-1/2" above the hash marks on the dipstick!! Seems like to me it was overfilled just enough so when whatever oil I burn is gone i'll still be within "GM Specs". I just wonder if I should drain some out to get it back down to the proper full mark or should I let the dealer do that, hate to make another trip to the dealer just for that.

• Took mine in the other day to start the oil consumption test, I checked the oil the next morning after it had plenty of time to set and it's 3/8"-1/2" above the hash marks on the dipstick!! Seems like to me it was overfilled just enough so when whatever oil I burn is gone i'll still be within "GM Specs". I just wonder if I should drain some out to get it back down to the proper full mark or should I let the dealer do that, hate to make another trip to the dealer just for that.

I have found that, with the proper fill, if I check oil level 15 minutes after hot shutdown, the level will show right at the full mark on the dipstick. However, if I check it prior to startup after an overnight or longer sit, the level will show exactly as you described.

Take it back in and make them do it right or you won't get an accurate measure. They checked my consumption the first time by the top of the hash marks.

Going in tomorrow for my first 1k check. Second test. 918k and she's settin barely on the stick. Had to tell them not to overfill. Then after I got home noticed they got the mileage wrong. After a phone call they wanted me to drive 70 mile round trip back to correct it. Yeah right. This is gettin old fast.

I have found that, with the proper fill, if I check oil level 15 minutes after hot shutdown, the level will show right at the full mark on the dipstick. However, if I check it prior to startup after an overnight or longer sit, the level will show exactly as you described.

The wife drove the truck today about 25 miles round trip. I went out and checked the oil level about 20 minutes after she shut it off and the oil level was still showing overfull. I think I'll drain it down to dead on the top of the hash marks like it should be so I don't have to make another trip to the dealer thats a pain. I guess it's not the end of the world but I've put about 200 miles on it since I had it serviced, wish I had made sure it was dead on before I drove it all.

The wife drove the truck today about 25 miles round trip. I went out and checked the oil level about 20 minutes after she shut it off and the oil level was still showing overfull. I think I'll drain it down to dead on the top of the hash marks like it should be so I don't have to make another trip to the dealer thats a pain. I guess it's not the end of the world but I've put about 200 miles on it since I had it serviced, wish I had made sure it was dead on before I drove it all.

Don't they mark the drain plug to see if its been tampered with?