Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

no 100% sure what block i have. 90,000 on the clock 5.3 flex fuel. i use whatever fully synthetic oil autozone is running a special on that week. change it about every 5 to 6 thousand miles. usually she's about a quart low at the 5k mark. its been like that since the first time i changed the oil. i bought the truck new and about 90% of the miles are interstate commute to work miles so it has not been abused.

Well its almost time for another oil change. Will be hittin 75k soon. I still can't get a good answer out of anyone as to whats happening to the oil? Since I bought the truck used, I have put 9 qts. of extra oil in 25k. Seems the truck is lagging a little in power now. Does the dealer have a way to check for diminished exhaust flow? I have always been told clogged cats will burn the valves.

I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with 91k and never really noticed that burned that much oil. But this one week I put 1200 miles on it all highway and low oil light\message came up. Since then I had the oil change and started an oil comp. test. 3000 1qt is gone. So if I disable AFM will my issue go away or is the damage already done? Love the truck just not this oil deal. I talk to my dealer and they said they are only see this in higher mileage 07 that are highway driven. Thoughts?

I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with 91k and never really noticed that burned that much oil. But this one week I put 1200 miles on it all highway and low oil light\message came up. Since then I had the oil change and started an oil comp. test. 3000 1qt is gone. So if I disable AFM will my issue go away or is the damage already done? Love the truck just not this oil deal. I talk to my dealer and they said they are only see this in higher mileage 07 that are highway driven. Thoughts?

So is the AFM the root cause of all of the oil burning/loss woes???

I had 2 previous 5.3 both NON-AFM engines, what the heck changed??????

After a long talk they have agreed to replace the engine. My last truck was an 02 silver ado with 250k that maybe burnt a half quart at 5000 miles acceptable.they also didn't want to admit the reason booth catalytic converters and 02 sensors were from the oil burning needless to say there getting replaced too. Thanks

Wow... kinda hope I dont end up there... or if I do, its in the next 6 months before my powertrain warr runs out :nonod:

After a long talk they have agreed to replace the engine. My last truck was an 02 silver ado with 250k that maybe burnt a half quart at 5000 miles acceptable.they also didn't want to admit the reason booth catalytic converters and 02 sensors were from the oil burning needless to say there getting replaced too. Thanks
Wow... kinda hope I dont end up there... or if I do, its in the next 6 months before my powertrain warr runs out :nonod:

I had an 2003 with 225,000 miles and never had any engine problems, my 2009 is 1/2 the truck in build quaility.

I am going to find a clean late model 2000-2006 model and ditch the 2009.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad i found t his forum.....So i crank up the truck a few days ago and i see a huge puff of white smoke...never seen b4, then while driving i hear the clatter sound. Get home and sure enough, very little oil on dipstick! No warning what so ever on the display, and the dic showed 35% in the oil change deal. So i added 3 qts.

Have 102,000 miles, 2008 5.3L AFM, driving about 70 miles Daily.

Does anyone know what the oil pressure should be reading???

I myself have wondered what the oil pressure should be reading as mine jumps around. I seem to have to put anywhere from .5-1. qt. of oil in my 07 at about 30% left on the DIC.

Glad i found t his forum.....So i crank up the truck a few days ago and i see a huge puff of white smoke...never seen b4, then while driving i hear the clatter sound. Get home and sure enough, very little oil on dipstick! No warning what so ever on the display, and the dic showed 35% in the oil change deal. So i added 3 qts.

Have 102,000 miles, 2008 5.3L AFM, driving about 70 miles Daily.

Mine is around 40 at idle, 50 at steady speed, and 60 while accelerating.

Great Forum Guys,

So I have a 2008 Chevy Suburban Z71 with the 5.3 in it..~ 49,500 Miles on it..

Owned since new.. Syntethic oil at every change ~ 5000 miles as recommended..

Just before going on a weekend Ski trip I checked my oil level and I was 1.5 qts low..

So I topped it off and went on our Ski trip ~ 600 Miles later I checked the oil level and I was .5 qts low...

At that rate I am at the 2 qts or better every 2400 miles..That is un believable to me..

I have also noticed during cold starts especially when sitting for a few days that I hear what

sounds like lifter tick and or piston slap during warm up.. 2 min or more..

Oddly enough my neighbors 2008 Yukon XL is in the shop getting piston & rings replaced she has 60k on hers.

I have a couple of questions for our dear forum members..

1) Why is there not a complete recall on this Issue based on the number of cases?

2) Has anyone checked into Class Action regarding this issue?

3) How About E.P.A study / Polution probability..?

4) What is this doing to my Catalytic Converters / O2 sensors?

My 99 Suburban @ 120K did not use a drop of oil and neither did my 93 Sierra...@ 125K

I am a loyal GM customer and Multi-GM car owner.. This is unacceptable.. No one has the time to stop at the dealer every 500 miles for months on end!

I am not a fan of Engine Surgery at 50,000 miles.. Unless my warranty is reset to 0 miles..

For those in the Metro Detroit area who have had this resolved, can someone respond with a dealer suggestion?

Thanks!

Cpt Ahab ;)

• Like 1

Just finished my first "official" oil consumption test through the local dealer. They reported that my truck consumed 1.5 qts of oil over the test interval as opposed to the .5-1 qt I've measured. (In all honesty I did drive more during February than I have over the last 12 months, but it was mostly highway mileage back and forth to western Ohio.) To make a long story short the Service Manager recognized the "validity" of my concern over the oil consumption, but said his hands were tied as the amount of oil used was "acceptable" to GM.

1) Why is there not a complete recall on this Issue based on the number of cases?

2) Has anyone checked into Class Action regarding this issue?

3) How About E.P.A study / Polution probability..?

4) What is this doing to my Catalytic Converters / O2 sensors?

1) It is evident that GM doesn't intend to recall vountarily. All of us could file a compaint to the NHTSA but I think it has to be a safety issue. I searched there and found only 1 complaint about the consumption issue. All that are using oil here should file a compaint, it might do something.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/

2) Has been suggested in posts here but nothing has come of it.

3) This one may be the best option, since all this oil has to be causing pollution.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/recall.htm

4) I've asked the same question here, and at the dealer. No answer yet.

2008 extended cab with 5.3. 71000 miles. Bought it new in May of '08. Haven't noticed that it's burning any oil and I do all my own maintenance. If it's using any oil it is very little.

My son is still driving a 1999 extended cab with 4.8 that I bought back in Oct. 1998. It has ~250000 miles on it. It's not using much, if any, oil either.

I use Pennzoil full synthetic.

Edited by David_L6

Hey guys I have a Sierra 4.8 only has 13000 miles on it obviously not afm, any how Its not using up any oil, but I was reading through everything and I noticed a lot of you are noticing oil consumption after like 5000 miles or about .5 of a quart around 3000 miles which should still put you in between the cross hatch (still safe) why wouldnt you guys just change your oil every 3000 miles and forget about the Olm.