Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My Truck is burning 2L of oil every 5000kms up here in Canada and I've been told by 2 dealerships that anything less than 1L/1000kms will not be addressed by GM and will be considered "normal".

Do they realize that if that little nugget of info were to get out into the mainstream their sales would go down by 50%?

"Buy our vehicles, topping up your oil twice between 5000km interval oil changes is "normal"." Geez, such a disappointment.

Anyone else getting the same runaround?

My Truck is burning 2L of oil every 5000kms up here in Canada and I've been told by 2 dealerships that anything less than 1L/1000kms will not be addressed by GM and will be considered "normal".

Do they realize that if that little nugget of info were to get out into the mainstream their sales would go down by 50%?

"Buy our vehicles, topping up your oil twice between 5000km interval oil changes is "normal"." Geez, such a disappointment.

I would say..Find another dealer...They are all different in how they handle warranty issues....My dealer has been fantastic and has addressed my problems without any grief.

Mine has been burning oil at about the same rate as yours. It started at about 100,000km and I'm just over 200,000. I've mentioned it to the dealer here numerous times and they monitered it but never took action to do anything about it. Now the dealer is closed and I started to go to another dealer and I got told some oil consumption is normal but they wouldn't disclose at what rate. I've tried different oils giving each 2 or 3 oil changes but nothing changes. Always keep an extra litre available in the truck for when the light turns on.

vanspek

As note I have just shy of 1000 miles on the new lower end now and have not used a drop of oil..I think the new pistons and rings along with the oil deflector has done the trick. :thumbs:

I have a 2003 Suburban Z71 5.3L. Used oil at what I thought was a rapid pace-- 1QT every 1,500 miles since 12K miles. I always did oil changes per recommendations with good, quality oil. (I have a '86 F150 302 farm truck that uses none, still to this day.) Brought it back to 2 dealers and they say "normal". Ok, whatever. Then, at 77k miles, both heads cracked and before I knew what was going on I think the antifreeze scored up the cylinder walls. Dealer got involved, said Aztec heads are prone to cracking (TSB issued) and it will cost $3000. Ended up fighting with GM and they covered under semi-warranty and I paid $1800. Dealer replaced heads, but smokes once in a while now. Still using high amounts of oil, 2QT every 1,500 miles, but now have 160,000 miles on it. No real power left for pulling horse trailer, so a replacement engine may be on it's way. Bottom line, my engine always used oil.

Edited by wfd2

NEW 2011 Avalanche...purchased September 3, 2011.

Changed the oil today to Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic and got 5 quarts out of it...after only 2550 miles. Will wait until the next oil change to see if this is an anomaly or a pattern. If a pattern, and will be an oil burner forever, I do wish they would have at least put the Duramax logon on the side and made my 5.3 sound like a diesel!!!

So let me get this straight...6-speed tranny I have has been a real disappointment and now I discover the truck burns or at least utilizes a quart of oil every 3000 miles. As a lifelong Chevy owner I'm starting to ask what the heck I bought a Chevy for...

• 2 weeks later...

never researched the issue much, but it's been happening to me for awhile now.... decided to google the issue and this topic came up. haven't been an avid forum member just little time in life..

anyway... i have a 2008 AFM 5.3" 4WD Silverado...

i did an oil change at 3,000 miles when new and changed to mobile 1 and have used it ever since at 7500 intervals

every once in awhile, maybe once a week starting around 20k miles, it would puff a cloud of smoke at start-up, hmm. never paid attention much to it, alot going on in life

at 30,000 miles one morning, i start the car to go to work and holy $hit!! tapping knocking noises very loud scared me thought my truck was junk. 5-7 seconds later it went away. drove the truck to work, checked the oil, wasn't even showing on the stick! so i drained out the oil and did an oil change, i was about due anyway. topped it off, new filter.... rode around for a day checked level all OK no noises... still occassional puff of smoke at start-ups... a cloud rather.

now every 3-4 thousand miles i get the tap and check the oil and its empty... happened at 33,xxx.... happened at 36,500... and happened again 2 days ago i'm at 40,500 miles currently got a real good puff of smoke the other morning my neighbor even looked at me funny as the cloud of blue stinky smoke drifted across the street.. i added 2.5 quarts of oil to bring the level to the proper point on the stick... the oil consumption issue really took off strong on my truck somewhere in the late 20k range until now at 40k. never a sign of it for the first 2 years 25k miles.

my mods are as listed in my sig. air intake and exhaust. i do all service myself it's never been back to a dealer since i bought it (i'm a marine mechanic and powersports enthusiast) the contractor that neglects his house, i'm the mechanic that neglects this issue with my truck :thumbs:

Happend for the first time today@ 28K Miles ,,, Last oil change was at 25K-Miles .. I do park on an incline thought ,, something to watch out for now .. :thumbs:

interesting you say that. mine first did it around 28-30k.... if i park inclined nose down that's only time i get lifters slapping away in the morning if i'm low on oil.

if i park inclined nose up, then i'm more apt to get a smokey start-up. a trend i've noticed if of any relevance...

my smokey start-ups, CLOUDY smokey start-up like it's the 1970s.... it's not just a little bit of smoke.... would that mean more likely valve seals for oil to get in the top end when sitting cold...

never researched the issue much, but it's been happening to me for awhile now.... decided to google the issue and this topic came up. haven't been an avid forum member just little time in life..

anyway... i have a 2008 AFM 5.3" 4WD Silverado...

i did an oil change at 3,000 miles when new and changed to mobile 1 and have used it ever since at 7500 intervals

every once in awhile, maybe once a week starting around 20k miles, it would puff a cloud of smoke at start-up, hmm. never paid attention much to it, alot going on in life

at 30,000 miles one morning, i start the car to go to work and holy $hit!! tapping knocking noises very loud scared me thought my truck was junk. 5-7 seconds later it went away. drove the truck to work, checked the oil, wasn't even showing on the stick! so i drained out the oil and did an oil change, i was about due anyway. topped it off, new filter.... rode around for a day checked level all OK no noises... still occassional puff of smoke at start-ups... a cloud rather.

now every 3-4 thousand miles i get the tap and check the oil and its empty... happened at 33,xxx.... happened at 36,500... and happened again 2 days ago i'm at 40,500 miles currently got a real good puff of smoke the other morning my neighbor even looked at me funny as the cloud of blue stinky smoke drifted across the street.. i added 2.5 quarts of oil to bring the level to the proper point on the stick... the oil consumption issue really took off strong on my truck somewhere in the late 20k range until now at 40k. never a sign of it for the first 2 years 25k miles.

my mods are as listed in my sig. air intake and exhaust. i do all service myself it's never been back to a dealer since i bought it (i'm a marine mechanic and powersports enthusiast) the contractor that neglects his house, i'm the mechanic that neglects this issue with my truck :thumbs:

Time to take it to the dealer and start an oil consumption test..The dealer just installed new pistons and rings in my truck. Don't wait for your warranty to expire...

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a long trip. From Delaware to Charlotte, NC. 533 miles one way towing 6,000 lbs. When I checked the oil level yesterday morning, level was at the 2nd dot.

When I checked the oil this morning before leaving, I needed to add a qt of oil.

I will check the level tomorrow morning. But I'm stopping in at the dealer again. Still using oil after their "valve cover" fix.

Just got back from a long trip. From Delaware to Charlotte, NC. 533 miles one way towing 6,000 lbs. When I checked the oil level yesterday morning, level was at the 2nd dot.

When I checked the oil this morning before leaving, I needed to add a qt of oil.

I will check the level tomorrow morning. But I'm stopping in at the dealer again. Still using oil after their "valve cover" fix.

Sounds like its time for new pistons and rings as the damage has already been done.

Well, after my trip to Charlotte, I had to do another road trip up to New Jersey 2 days later. Around a 200 mile round trip. So between going to Charlotte and New Jersey, I put around 1500 miles on the truck.

Total oil usage was almost 2 1/2 qts.

Just stopped at the dealer a few minutes ago to report my findings. The service advisor took all my information and spoke to the Svc. Manager. 2nd week of Dec, they are going to put new rings in the bottom end.

At least they are going to try something different than the, "Lets try this first method" manufacturers usually do.