Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My Truck is burning 2L of oil every 5000kms up here in Canada and I've been told by 2 dealerships that anything less than 1L/1000kms will not be addressed by GM and will be considered "normal".

Do they realize that if that little nugget of info were to get out into the mainstream their sales would go down by 50%?

"Buy our vehicles, topping up your oil twice between 5000km interval oil changes is "normal"." Geez, such a disappointment.

Anyone else getting the same runaround?

I have been driving under an oil consumption test since GM did my last oil change. Today the "Add Oil" msg came up after 4000kms. Took it in, and on the spot, the service guy was like "yup, no good, Can you leave it here for 4 hrs?" and explained the bulletin about the valve covers and the AFM deflector, etc. etc. Anyway, it also involves cleaning the cylinders and rings? No charge. So I guess we'll see what happens.

Does someone have a copy of this Bulletin? So I can read in detail what they are doing before I go pick it up in a few hours?? Thanks...

Oh and I should mention... its the 5.3L w/AFM, and 95,000kms on the clock. AND as an added plus, I'll plug the dealership (Murray GM in Abbotsford, BC) since they have been very helpful in dealing with all of this with no grief. Gave me a coffee and a muffin while I waited, and then drove me home and will pick me up.

Edited by mc7719

'08 Silverado 5.3L Alum w/AFM @ 65K miles. Have seen as much as 4 qts oil drop between oil change. Change every 3500-4500 miles w/ whatever the stock 30W oil is at the oil change shop. Never any signs of leaks. Never any low oil warning only a sudden drop in oil pressure and erratic oil pressure gauge. Have it scheduled for a dealer oil consumption test tomorrow. I've owned several new vehicles including 2 F150s and a Ram 1500 over the past 20 years and never had this serious of an issue. This was my first Chevy vehicle (ever) and this is really making me question my decision. Hopefully the issue is resolved correctly and under warranty or it will definitely be the last GM product I buy.

Thought I would post, since its been 9 mths. ago, that I asked Mod to help create this poll. Have been checking back and watching the pages build up. Glad to see, some have seen, head way into this problem, although I haven't. Currently using 2 1/2 qts. oil every 5000k. Have 71k on the clock now. 14k and I've spent aproximately 75 bucks extra in oil besides the changes. Thats 7 1/2 qts. going where? Have noticed a little decrease in power lately, just wondering if the cats are starting to plug or O2's fouling. All that oil has to be going somewhere, and I haven't noticed any smoke or leaks still. If any GM corporates are still lurking. Check my records. I sold the HHR and my Trailblazer. The Silvy would be gone, but I really like pulling into different dealerships, since I travel alot, and watch the faces of potential customers, as I put oil in my 4 yr old truck LOL.

I drive my truck very little. About 20 miles a week on avg and maybe do a 300-400 mile road trip once every 6 was. I have 6.0 and very solid engine. I typically change my oil every 5k miles or 6 mths. I use 5 qts of royal purple 5w-30 and 1 qt of Lucas synthetic engine oil stabilizer. Truck maybe burns less than half a qt. Shes got 70k miles on her now.

1 qt of Lucas synthetic engine oil stabilizer.

Additives should not be used as fluid life will be compromised. Adding anything foreign to your oil can change its viscosity. Some types of after-market oil additives cause a quite high viscosity at operating temperature. While an additive might improve bearing wear, it can often cause poorer upper-end wear.

People selling oil additives may be sincere, but they don't have to live with the results. They simply smile a lot on the way to the bank.

I was just reading an article about Lucas and something caught my attention. The article said this. "Lucas Oil's not-so-secret ingredients are self-reliance and shrewd marketing", nothing said about superior products..

I'm still doing an oil consumption test at the dealership. 70,000 miles now and they just added a quart, it's been 1,800 miles since last oil change. I was told they will contact GM and call me back. I'm sure it will go back into the shop for work, just not sure what they'll be doing. This will be the third time in the shop for some sort of repair due to this oil consumption issue. I'll post more when I get some details.

I'm still doing an oil consumption test at the dealership. 70,000 miles now and they just added a quart, it's been 1,800 miles since last oil change. I was told they will contact GM and call me back. I'm sure it will go back into the shop for work, just not sure what they'll be doing. This will be the third time in the shop for some sort of repair due to this oil consumption issue. I'll post more when I get some details.

I feel your pain. Thats why I haven't really bothered to go any further. All the band aid jobs they are doing and probably hoping for a give up, trade it in, or pass the 100k mark. 1 member gave some good advice to me months ago, but I didn't have the funds to trade it off.

2008-5.3 iron block, 60K miles, changed IAW DIC information, usually before it hits 20%. One quart low 3K after last oil change. Checking more frequently now to see what's happening.

Edited by ZRX631

To the guys going through this Oil consumption deal...I was sceptical as well....After the dealer replaced my pistons and rings along with the oil pan deflector the problem has been fixed. Truck runs like a champ and doesn't use any oil..A good dealer is a must...If your getting the run around find another dealer.

Edited by ifshinnxs

^^^^

How many miles do you have since the piston and ring replacement? I seriously doubt that the problem is "fixed" unless they have put some re-engineered parts in the motor, specifically referring to the lifters. I was told that my third repair will be what you just had done. I was told each of my last 2 repairs that the problem was "fixed", but obviously it was not. Just my .02 cents.