Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey, my 2007 Sierra 5.3 AFM with 90,000 miles has already had a tray put in the oil pan, engine flushed, new spark plugs and wires, and as we speak, having new rings and pistons installed. The service mechanic in the beginning said everything they were going to do to my truck wouldn't fix the problem. He said the only fix would be to install a new engine (which will be the next step on my truck). Apparently the dealership has replaced alot of motors according to the service mechanic. I should get my truck back later this week.

Thanks

Nick

• Like 1

Another oil-burner here with an update. 2009 5.3L AFM. I was burning 1 to 1.5 Q every 1500 miles. Did the oil pan baffle, PCV valve, and piston cleaning fix, still burned oil. Just got it back from the dealer after replacing all pistons/rings and lifters.

I hadn't heard anything like the post above about replacing the engines. Does anyone have an update after piston replacement? Whether it stopped using oil or not? If not, is engine replacement really the next fix?

I'd like to see how my truck runs for awhile, but eventually I'm getting the BB tune and removing AFM.

KCT

Edited by KCTiger

Hey, my 2007 Sierra 5.3 AFM with 90,000 miles has already had a tray put in the oil pan, engine flushed, new spark plugs and wires, and as we speak, having new rings and pistons installed. The service mechanic in the beginning said everything they were going to do to my truck wouldn't fix the problem. He said the only fix would be to install a new engine (which will be the next step on my truck). Apparently the dealership has replaced alot of motors according to the service mechanic. I should get my truck back later this week.

Thanks

Nick

My truck was used 2 quarts in 1900 miles!

Edited by Chipp4242

Well, I went and picked up my truck today after the dealership replacing the rings and pistons. I drove it about a quarter of a mile total and everything was fine until I stopped to get gas. I turned the engine off to fill up and when I went to restart it there was a loud pecking noise and a bad vibration through out the truck. The engine light was flashing. I called the service mechanic and he told me to bring it back. When I pulled out of the gas station my truck was shaking and then when the transmission shifted, it jerked really hard. I got back to the dealership and the mechanic said he didn't know what was wrong with it but he would definitely fix the problem. They have had my truck since last Tuesday.

Thanks

Nick

Edited by Chipp4242

I have been driving under an oil consumption test since GM did my last oil change. Today the "Add Oil" msg came up after 4000kms. Took it in, and on the spot, the service guy was like "yup, no good, Can you leave it here for 4 hrs?" and explained the bulletin about the valve covers and the AFM deflector, etc. etc. Anyway, it also involves cleaning the cylinders and rings? No charge. So I guess we'll see what happens.

Does someone have a copy of this Bulletin? So I can read in detail what they are doing before I go pick it up in a few hours?? Thanks...

Oh and I should mention... its the 5.3L w/AFM, and 95,000kms on the clock. AND as an added plus, I'll plug the dealership (Murray GM in Abbotsford, BC) since they have been very helpful in dealing with all of this with no grief. Gave me a coffee and a muffin while I waited, and then drove me home and will pick me up.

UPDATE from this last post.

Now at 99,656 kms. Since the first step in the warranty repair (the drivers side valve cover replacement at 95,424km) it's going in tomorrow, they're going to drop the oil pan and fix/install something to "fix" this. So here's where we're at:

80,100km Oil change, level now at full.

83,666km Add oil warning

86,470km Oil change

89,192km Add oil warning

91,655km Taken to GM for oil change, and reported problem. Start Oil Consumption Test.

95,424km Add oil warning. GM replaces drivers side rocker cover TSB #10-06-01-008C.

99,656km Add oil warning. GM performs service with 'oil pan deflector' (will have more details once I get the TSB tomorrow when they actually DO the service)

And the saga continues.....

Picked up the truck.... there's a new TSB on this. (Yes, again.) 10-06-01-008D which was issued on January 17, 2012.

Anyway, this time they dropped the front diff, dropped the oil pan, and installed a "bell housing" thing on top of a tube that sprays oil within the oil pan. Kinda like an umbrella.. the tube points up, and this steel 'umbrella' goes on top, and keeps the oil from spraying up, redirecting it down. He showed me the pictures that were on the TSB, it makes alot more sense than I can describe it. Anyway, they also cleaned all the pistons and rings.

So here we go lets see if THIS works.

The service at this dealer has been second to none. No hassles, super friendly.

Well update so far... 2500km and not a drop of oil lost so far.... knock on wood...

• 3 weeks later...

2008 Silverado 5.3L -

Lifter Broke around 70K - Resulted in New Lifter, New Cam Shaft and Deflector Shield in Oil Pan

80K - New Valve Cover and PCB, Cleaning Solution in Cylinders

86K - New Pistions, Rings, and I don't know what else....It is still in shop (Over 3 Weeks)

It has been consistent - 2 1/2 to 3 qt every 2500 miles

This last time they found lots of oil in the intake manifold.

Seems like they always over fill it on dip stick....this time I am going to make them explain the oil level on the dip stick.

Dealer has been great (slow but great). They give a loaner truck everytime....but after this much time in shop I am not sure I will remember what my truck even looks like!

• 2 weeks later...

They just installed the oil deflector in mine. I pick it up today.

Has this ever solved the oil consumption problem on any ones truck? I am thinking it is just the first step. We shall see.

i had that done on mine last year (deflector and flush) worked for a little while and now i just made an appointment today to get the truck back in for consumption again. i drop her off tomorrow.

I have been driving under an oil consumption test since GM did my last oil change. Today the "Add Oil" msg came up after 4000kms. Took it in, and on the spot, the service guy was like "yup, no good, Can you leave it here for 4 hrs?" and explained the bulletin about the valve covers and the AFM deflector, etc. etc. Anyway, it also involves cleaning the cylinders and rings? No charge. So I guess we'll see what happens.

Does someone have a copy of this Bulletin? So I can read in detail what they are doing before I go pick it up in a few hours?? Thanks...

Oh and I should mention... its the 5.3L w/AFM, and 95,000kms on the clock. AND as an added plus, I'll plug the dealership (Murray GM in Abbotsford, BC) since they have been very helpful in dealing with all of this with no grief. Gave me a coffee and a muffin while I waited, and then drove me home and will pick me up.

Now at 99,656 kms. Since the first step in the warranty repair (the drivers side valve cover replacement at 95,424km) it's going in tomorrow, they're going to drop the oil pan and fix/install something to "fix" this. So here's where we're at:

83,666km Add oil warning

86,470km Oil change

89,192km Add oil warning

91,655km Taken to GM for oil change, and reported problem. Start Oil Consumption Test.

95,424km Add oil warning. GM replaces drivers side rocker cover TSB #10-06-01-008C.

99,656km Add oil warning. GM performs service with 'oil pan deflector' (will have more details once I get the TSB tomorrow when they actually DO the service)

Picked up the truck.... there's a new TSB on this. (Yes, again.) 10-06-01-008D which was issued on January 17, 2012.

Anyway, this time they dropped the front diff, dropped the oil pan, and installed a "bell housing" thing on top of a tube that sprays oil within the oil pan. Kinda like an umbrella.. the tube points up, and this steel 'umbrella' goes on top, and keeps the oil from spraying up, redirecting it down. He showed me the pictures that were on the TSB, it makes alot more sense than I can describe it. Anyway, they also cleaned all the pistons and rings.

So here we go lets see if THIS works.

The service at this dealer has been second to none. No hassles, super friendly.

Well update so far... 2500km and not a drop of oil lost so far.... knock on wood...

UPDATE from this last post.

83,666km Add oil warning

86,470km Oil change

89,192km Add oil warning

99,656km Add oil warning. GM performs service with 'oil pan deflector'

Continues...

103,976 Add oil warning. GM now says will replace pistons and rings.

Edited by mc7719

Yesterday was my 1st one thousand mile oil level check after having the ring cleaning solution poured in and the oil pan deflector installed.

My truck used a half quart in 1,000 miles. They told me to drive it another 1,000 miles then bring it back to be checked again.

Continues...

So Day 1 of it being in the shop. I was nervous to say the least, dropping her off for open-heart surgery lol. On the plus side, again this dealership (Murray GM in Abbotsford, BC) has consistently provided amazing service and no hassles. I mean, its not THIER fault that the AFM engines are burning so much oil.

They even provided me with a 2011 Silverado to drive for three days while its being fixed!

Fingers crossed. After the piston and rings replacement, has anyone had improvements??

Continues...

So Day 1 of it being in the shop. I was nervous to say the least, dropping her off for open-heart surgery lol. On the plus side, again this dealership (Murray GM in Abbotsford, BC) has consistently provided amazing service and no hassles. I mean, its not THIER fault that the AFM engines are burning so much oil.

They even provided me with a 2011 Silverado to drive for three days while its being fixed!

Fingers crossed. After the piston and rings replacement, has anyone had improvements??

I had my pistons and rings replaced just over 5000 miles ago...I burned 1/2 quart at about 4000 miles..then I changed the oil and I haven't used any in the last 1600 miles..I'm not sure if it just took a few thousand miles for the rings to seat or not. All is good for now...In any case the ring and piston change has made a huge improvement..

• Like 1

Continues...

I had my pistons and rings replaced just over 5000 miles ago...I burned 1/2 quart at about 4000 miles..then I changed the oil and I haven't used any in the last 1600 miles..I'm not sure if it just took a few thousand miles for the rings to seat or not. All is good for now...In any case the ring and piston change has made a huge improvement..

This is good news.

Got my Sierra back from them. Running like a dream so far.

• Like 1