Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

^^^^

How many miles do you have since the piston and ring replacement? I seriously doubt that the problem is "fixed" unless they have put some re-engineered parts in the motor, specifically referring to the lifters. I was told that my third repair will be what you just had done. I was told each of my last 2 repairs that the problem was "fixed", but obviously it was not. Just my .02 cents.

6000 miles plus...If your truck is using oil and they install the new drivers side valve cover and oil deflector. The damage has already been done and will solve nothing..Once those repairs have been done and then you have the pistons and rings replaced at least for me the problem has been solved.

My 1st repair was the valve cover, 2nd was new driver side lifters, ring decarburization, and deflector, and most likely the 3rd will be pistons, rings, and all lifters. Or at least that's what they told me on the last repair. The reason I mentioned the mileage, is because I feel that they are just replacing parts in an attempt to fix it without knowing the root cause. And until they identify the root cause, and fix things accordingly, the problem will only return. At each of my first 2 repairs, the issue stopped, but only for a short period. Therefore, I feel the problem will come back, no matter how many parts they replace. What is the "damage" you are referring to?

"Damage" = Carboned up rings...No magic solution poured into the cylnders will fix it. You have a very valid point though! and you could be right. So for now only time will tell. My dealer tells me that once the pistons and rings are replaced he has seen Zero returns for oil consumption..We'll have to see..

I know I'm keeping a close watch on the Tundras as my next truck.

Okay, here I am again with an update. On the previous page I noted that a quart was added after 1800 miles(post oil change), today they added another quart and it has been 1200 miles. The service writer said that pistons and rings were order and the truck would be in the shop for 3-4 days once the parts come in. No lifters to be replaced as I mentioned in the above post. They said they would also provide a rental. I really hope this will "fix" the problem, but I still have reservations that it will not. My concerns/questions moving forward from here are as follows. Will this problem return? How many miles will pass before it shows up again? And, although I'm confident GM will continue to repair while under 100k, what will they do if the problem returns beyond 100k? I will post any additional information if/when I hear something.

My 09 5.3l flex fuel v8 is burning oil agin. First thay eplaced the valve cover and it stoped for 7000 miles now its burning agin I checked the oil and its barley on the dip stick I think it went through 2+ quarts in only 1800 miles. Hope thay fix this problem for good the truck only has 34k on it. Look like im not alone on this problem.

I can only speak for the 5.3 in my son's '07 'Hoe (which used to be mine); at 39k, it uses no oil whatsoever. And this kid personifies the term, "lead foot"! I put that motor on Mobil1 5W-30 full syn at 10k after 3 dino oil/filter changes to wear it in.

I can only speak for the 5.3 in my son's '07 'Hoe (which used to be mine); at 39k, it uses no oil whatsoever. And this kid personifies the term, "lead foot"! I put that motor on Mobil1 5W-30 full syn at 10k after 3 dino oil/filter changes to wear it in.

Its not the oil...Mine was on Mobil one from the beginning. Its the engine design that is flawed..The mileage on your son's hoe is in the range where these 5.3 start using oil..Keep an eye on it..If you one of the lucky ones you wont see any oil consumption...My buddy has a 07 GMC and his is burning oil as well.

I love my truck and I hope now that my pistions and rings are replaced that I'm good to go...Having said that, I won't buy another AFM engine.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 Z71 4 speed auto, I am not sure on oil consumption. However, I am going to check it and report back, how can you disable the AFM on the truck?

My old truck was 2003 Silverado Z71 and it racked up over 225,000 miles and did not have oil burning problems what so ever. The AFM is very irritating I can tell a difference in exhaust note going down the road at a steady speed. I have a flow master on it, I want to disable the AFM permanently and I believe it causes irratic idle as well.

Don't keep the truck past 100,000 miles. Get a 6.0 or 6.2L instead.

I wonder what these trucks look like on a carfax report and how much it de-values the vehicle at trade? Almost 50% AFM equipped motors are showing signs of oil consumption according to the poll.

Has anyone tried the aftermarket hard parts to physically remove AFM all together? What’s the total cost?

Does anyone have high miles on an AFM motor that has had AFM turned off electronically since new? What are the results?

Edited by ERIE_ONE