Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2007 Sierra with AFM that gave me a low oil warning at 78% oil life and at 64%. I took it to the dealer to begin the oil consumption test and because of your post I checked the oil once I got back to work and sure enough a half inch above the highest mark. I called the dealer and informed them and now I have to take it back so they can drain the oil. This could have been a problem since this is during the test and after a 1000 miles it would have consumed the normal quart but they would not see it that way since it would have been a half inch up the marks. Also in the owner’s manual it indicates that it could cause severe damage to the engine it the oil level is above the highest mark. I am not sure how serious that high of oil level really could be but I would think a dealership should follow GM's own warnings.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with your dealer. I would be happy to look into this for you. Please contact me privately with more information. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Thanks for the offer but they worked with me. I don't know what the service manual calls for but they said they put 6 quarts in and I am not sure if that is for a dry engine or if they filled the oil filter then added 6 quarts.

Anyway they verified I was consuming oil and replaced the valve cover, fogged the intake and put some sort of deflector in the oil pan. They again over filled my oil according to the dip stick but after 1300 miles on this oil change I have not consumed any oil!

Dropped my 07 Yukon off this morning to have new rings and pistons put in it. I was using about a quart every 1000 miles. We'll see how it goes. I'm hoping this fixes the problem and I can hang on to it until the new sierra's come out

Dropped my 07 Yukon off this morning to have new rings and pistons put in it. I was using about a quart every 1000 miles. We'll see how it goes. I'm hoping this fixes the problem and I can hang on to it until the new sierra's come out

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: Took truck in for pistons and ring job. Hope this cures it. Worried about the plugs, O2's and cats tho. That much oil burning has to foul something up.

Did they finally agree to put the job under warranty?, when you get it back are you going to get a tune and turn off the AFM?

Update: Took truck in for pistons and ring job. Hope this cures it. Worried about the plugs, O2's and cats tho. That much oil burning has to foul something up.

Did they finally agree to put the job under warranty?, when you get it back are you going to get a tune and turn off the AFM?

Yeah, they did it under warranty. Having an early consumption test may have helped. Hope I don't regret major surgery. Gonna go pick it up in the morning. As for a tune, would rather find the cheapest handheld to turn it off.

Yup the piston/ring job fixed my oil issue. And 8 new spark plugs were included :)

They charged me 80 bucks for plugs. Said mine were in good shape and GM wouldn't pay for them. Can't figure out how the rings were stuck from carbon but the plugs were fine.