Gm Parts Giant - You Get What You Pay For

Having recently purchased a new Chevrolet truck, I set about accessorizing and improving it. I found a few parts I'd like to order off a few enthusiast web sites, then undertook a Google search to find the most reasonable place (i.e. cheapest) to order my parts - which led me to GM Parts Giant.com (http://www.gmpartsgiant.com). Based on a couple message site posts, I assumed this to be a reputable operation, so I placed my order and quickly got on to other activities. Ten (10) business days later, I started wondering where my parts were, so I retrieved my e-mailed invoice and read that their Service Level Agreement stated they ship most orders within 3-5 business days. At this point, I called their customer service / order number, and the trouble began.

On the first telephone call (Friday starting at 3PM) , I could hear all kinds of other conversations going on in the background - sort of like a boiler room operation. When I asked about the status of my item, I was hung up on (I was using a land line, not a cell phone). I called back and was put on hold, then hung up on again. The following Monday, I called them up again first thing in the morning, and got a person who said he'd follow-up on my order and e-mail me back in an hour or so with the status. Five hours later, I called back, asked to speak with a manager, and was hung up on again...not once, but twice. Since the e-mail invoice I'd received indicated that all orders had to be cancelled by phone and NOT by e-mail, I gave it one more try. I spoke to another representative who, when I said I'd like to cancel my order, hung up on me again.

At this point, I contacted my credit card company and placed a block on any transactions with this group. My next steps are:

- post my experiences on any/all message boards I'm involved with

- contact the BBB to file a complaint

- post my experiences on all general websites I'm involved with (Yelp, Google, etc.)

Your experiences with this particular vendor may not echo my own, but I thought I'd post a warning just in case. Who knows, you might have a positive experience with these guys. I, however, did not, and will tell everybody I speak with to find another, more customer-focused vendor with which to do business. I did find the cheapest vendor on the web and got exactly what I was going to pay for - very little. Caveat emptor.

Say...isn't one of the sponsors of this board GM Parts Direct? I'll give them all the business I was going to direct to that other site!

That is pretty desperate service, I have never ordered from gm parts direct but always seem people who do on the forum, the only thing I dont like is how they show you a super low price and then charge you a percentage for shipping and handling, maybe it is a work around for tax purposes in their state though, who knows.

He is talking about GM Parts Giant...not direct

That is pretty desperate service, I have never ordered from gm parts direct but always seem people who do on the forum, the only thing I dont like is how they show you a super low price and then charge you a percentage for shipping and handling, maybe it is a work around for tax purposes in their state though, who knows.

Yeah, the shipping charges for my order at GM Parts Direct were a bit exorbitant, but a couple things mitigate this:

- I'd like to support those businesses who support this board

- Despite paying $48.80 in shipping for a $203.32 subtotal of parts, it's still less that I'd pay on eBay (though not as much)

- I'm hopefully optimistic that GMPD will provide better customer experience than that other place (how could it be worse?)

So, there you go. I'm putting my money where my big mouth is. And, some cool accessories are in the pipeline for my new truck. I can hardly wait 'till the UPS truck arrives...

Marc

Thanks for the warning. When I priced a few things for mine from gmpartsdirect and then called the dealer where I bought the truck, I found my dealer was cheaper but not by much (since no shipping). I'll be sure to steer clear of gmpartsgiant.

Oops, you are right. I was the one who actually missed it. My bad. Viva La Canada!

He is talking about GM Parts Giant...not direct

I gathered that, was just talking about his plans to order from them...

• 2 months later...

I ordered my molded splash guards from GM Parts Giant. They did not have them in stock, but got them in about 3 days and then had to ship them across country to me. I did call them about the delay and as the op stated I could hear more than one conversation going on, but I did not have the hang up problem. My experience wouldn't say steer clear; I got what I ordered at the best price I could find anywhere, but they were a little slow. Customer services wasn't their strongest point.

• 6 months later...

My boyfriend ordered some tow hooks from gmpartsgiant.com and they are trying to cheat him. They are for his new Silverado and they are part # 19159115. These are supposed to be new and he received used, chipped, beat-up parts that were just thrown in a box with only a ripped-up, small piece of bubble wrap. There was no original GM packaging and no GM paperwork or installation instructions of any kind. Not that we need installation instructions but even the simplest of parts from GM always have usage or installation instructions. The installation hardware was in a ripped sandwich bag.

post-107056-0-46524500-1326363995_thumb.jpg

post-107056-0-76992600-1326363999_thumb.jpg

My boyfriend ordered some tow hooks from gmpartsgiant.com and they are trying to cheat him. They are for his new Silverado and they are part # 19159115. These are supposed to be new and he received used, chipped, beat-up parts that were just thrown in a box with only a ripped-up, small piece of bubble wrap. There was no original GM packaging and no GM paperwork or installation instructions of any kind. Not that we need installation instructions but even the simplest of parts from GM always have usage or installation instructions. The installation hardware was in a ripped sandwich bag.

Looks like you received what someone else returned!

Sometimes you would be surprised at how some of these online places are. All the noise in the back ground might have been at the parts counter at a big GM dealer. For instance there is a Powersports dealer I now locally that sells a lot of Arctic Cat parts on eBay and you would think they were big mail order operation but its just a young guy with a computer in his dads 20x30 small engine repair shop selling off NOS and current parts they acquired and still acquiring when Arctic Dealers go out of business and they buy the inventory for pennies. They also have 100's of used and junk machines.

When I got the truck I bought a sizable number of GM accessory items all at once. Bed cover, lighter, console tray, etc. I got the online price with shipping. Then I went to my local dealer and told them what I could order the items for and could they do anything on the price. They gave me a price that since I had to add tax was a little more but was well worth the convenience.

If you're a Costco member, many GM dealers will give a 15% discount on parts and accessories if they are affiliated with the Costco car buying program.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a problem with gmpartsgiant.com too.

After ordering rubber mats for my Acadia Denali online at gmpartsgiant.com I was informed the shipping I was quoted was going to be $18 more. I thought ok it says on the website shipping my be more than quoted. I paid. Kinda knew it was coming.

When I finally got my mats they shipped two sets of front mats no back mats. When I complained to customer service. They were apologetic and asked for part #s. there were no part numbers. All it said on the packages were front mats and back mats. No #s. Then they wanted me to take pictures of the carpet mats in my car and send it to them!! I emailed them the pix they had on their website of the front and back mats and the part #s they had. I said these are the pix on your site and the proper GM part #s on your site. They are not the ones I got! I then got a genaric email with a return shipping label and no explanation if they had my back mats or not. So now I need to find somewhere else to get my back mats. Also go to the ups store to return the duplicate front mats!

Do yourself a favor and don't waste you time with this company. They may be cheaper (at first) but you get what you pay for. As said. Total waste of my time.

Archived