S15 Gmc Truck ..windshield Wipers Stop Working After A While

Hello,

I would advise replacing the windshield wiper motors because they are the most likely cause for non-operational wipers. For your convenience, here is the procedure for replacing the wiper motor :dunno:

1) Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2) Remove the wiper arms from the linkage so the cowl may be removed.

3) Remove the cowl vent grille and screen. On early model vehicles, the a windshield washer hose may be connected to a hard plastic fitting located under the cowl grille. If the hose connection is very tight it may make removing the cowl grille difficult. Take your time if difficulty is encountered, if possible, reach underneath the grille to disconnect the hose from the fitting.

4) Loosen but DO NOT remove the nuts which hold the drive link to the motor crank arm. Detach the drive link from the crank arm.

5) Remove the transmission linkage-to-cowl retaining screws, then carefully remove the linkage through the top of the cowl.

To install:

1) Carefully guide the linkage assembly through the opening in the top of the cowl.

2) Secure the transmission linkage using the retainers. Tighten the fasteners securely, but do not over tighten them.

3) Position the drive link socket onto the crank arm ball of the wiper motor assembly. Evenly tighten the socket nuts to secure the connection.

4) Install the cowl vent grille and screen. On vehicles equipped with a plastic fitting attached to the cowl grille, the washer hose should be connected as the grille is positioned. Make sure the hose is not pinched or damaged as the grille is fastened.

5) Install the wiper arm and blade assemblies to the transmission linkage.

6) Connect the negative battery cable and verify proper wiper operation.

wiper-system-windshield-ts16018101.png

*diagram courtesy of gmpartsgiant.com

Hello,

I would advise replacing the windshield wiper motors because they are the most likely cause for non-operational wipers. For your convenience, here is the procedure for replacing the wiper motor :lol:

1) Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2) Remove the wiper arms from the linkage so the cowl may be removed.

3) Remove the cowl vent grille and screen. On early model vehicles, the a windshield washer hose may be connected to a hard plastic fitting located under the cowl grille. If the hose connection is very tight it may make removing the cowl grille difficult. Take your time if difficulty is encountered, if possible, reach underneath the grille to disconnect the hose from the fitting.

4) Loosen but DO NOT remove the nuts which hold the drive link to the motor crank arm. Detach the drive link from the crank arm.

5) Remove the transmission linkage-to-cowl retaining screws, then carefully remove the linkage through the top of the cowl.

To install:

1) Carefully guide the linkage assembly through the opening in the top of the cowl.

2) Secure the transmission linkage using the retainers. Tighten the fasteners securely, but do not over tighten them.

3) Position the drive link socket onto the crank arm ball of the wiper motor assembly. Evenly tighten the socket nuts to secure the connection.

4) Install the cowl vent grille and screen. On vehicles equipped with a plastic fitting attached to the cowl grille, the washer hose should be connected as the grille is positioned. Make sure the hose is not pinched or damaged as the grille is fastened.

5) Install the wiper arm and blade assemblies to the transmission linkage.

6) Connect the negative battery cable and verify proper wiper operation.

wiper-system-windshield-ts16018101.png

*diagram courtesy of gmpartsgiant.com

Thanks but before I do all this...some one said...circuit board on wiper motor goes bad and you should change just that board ...what do you think?

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I had this same problem on my '91 Yukon when it was 3-4 years old and replaced the board for something like $40 bucks (back then) at my cost from the dealer. it did it again several years later so I decided to pull the board and look at the solders closely with a very strong magnifying glass. What Ifound was several cracked solder joints. I resoldered them and never had another problem again. Just recently I had this same thing happen on my '99 Yukon. Again, it was a bad solder on the circuit board, They faulty ones are typically the first 3-4 nearest the plug in my experience. Try that and it may save you some money.

Had a 95 S10 that just about got me killed with this issue. I was going along with traffic about 65 miles an hour in a construction zone with a hard rain. Concrete barriers on both sides. Windshield wipers decided to stop working. Scared the bejeebies out of me. I decided to contact the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). I had to pay to get it fixed immediately, but after the recall, I was reimbursed by General Motors.

so, check for a recall on your vehicle.

I've fixed many full size and s10 variants around your model year just by pulling the black cover (held by several torx screws), soldering 2 circuit joints just inside the plug side of the board, and reinstalling the cover.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Archived