Problem With Defroster/air Conditioner?

Hey. I know driving with the air on decreases horsepower but does driving with the defroster on also decrease horsepower? i thinki will have an eventual problem. when the air conditioner is on there is a noise that sounds like a snake hissing when it's running, the same noise also happens when i turned the defroster on. There is a huge difference in get up and go with either the air or defrost on. is that normal? what could be making that noise? the air compressor?

By running the compressor you're accomplishing at least 2 things:

1. Removing moisture from the air which aids in defrosting.

2. Allows seals in the AC system to be lubricated by the circulation of refrigerant and oil

Well what do you guys think the hissing sound is? it only happens when i turn the air or defrost on.

I also have had the same noise. I don't think it is coming from the compressor, I think it is coming from the drier? near the firewall.

Well what do you guys think the hissing sound is? it only happens when i turn the air or defrost on.

I also have had the same noise. I don't think it is coming from the compressor, I think it is coming from the drier? near the firewall.

what was the problem? and what did you do to fix it?

what was the problem? and what did you do to fix it?

I haven't done anything yet. Been waiting to see if anybody else has been having the same problem and seeing what they do. Since the A/C and heat still work and since my local mechanic (doesn't do A/C work but I believe knows his stuff) said there is nothing there that can do any damage he said to leave it. Since it hasn't bothered me lately I haven't really looked anymore into getting it fixed. However, in my case it got worse when I had my snowplow on and since we are getting into that season I might end up being bothered by it enough to get it worked on.

Archived