Towed with my new 2012 1500 NHT

Coolmaker

Had some time yesterday, so got the toyhauler (5600lbs w/o the Harleys in it) out, put everything on lever ground and set up the weight distributing hitch properly.

Then hooked up and went for a test run. Wow, I am impressed, the 1/2 ton truck handles this thing amazingly well. Of course acceleration was great because of the 6.2. However, the braking was great too, guess the rear disc had allot to do with that. Went up to 70 and stability was good. I think that people under rate these trucks, they have allot more suspension under them than some think.

I am used to pulling it with a 2500 GMC van and can tell you that the new 1/2 pulls as good or better than the 3/4 ton does. In fact the braking is better with the 1/2 ton.

The six speed worked well while in tow mode too..

I love the built in brake controller in the 2012, and the camper mirrors work perfectly...

Now, if I can remember to turn off the park assist next time.. LOL

:thumbs:

Only pull I've had with my truck was a car. About 2500lbs and I didn't even know it was there. Also, like you stated... braking was good and I didn't even have brakes for the car. I used a car wheel dolly. I'm amazed at how good the 6-speed works too when towing. Thats a real advantage over the 4-speed in my opinion.

Thanks for the report. Mine is a 5.3, but it handles our ~7k lb camper (loaded) extremely well. No sway, etc. Braking is also excellent, even with the brake controller disconnected (tested a couple of times to see). I'm sure rear discs are a little better on a long downhill grade, and I'd certainly prefer the 6.2/3.73/6-spd when towing. The NHT package is a nice option for towing in this weight range, and beats a 2500HD for daily driving.

5600lbs isn't even a workout for these trucks :D My boat set up is 7K and this trucks tows it a lot better than the 2005 5.4L F150 I had. And like you said, the braking a lot better too but, I think that also has to do with the Tow-Haul mode. That takes a lot of strain off the brakes. I love this truck!

Archived