In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
kstruckcountry

Rear end clunking noise?

I've noticed it since I got the truck, and figured it was because my 2006 is simply more rigid than the 1990. Whenever I hit a bump right, the back end of the truck seems to make a hollow clunking noise. When I rotated tires, I took a look, and nothing seemed to be loose on springs, shocks, or cab. Anybody else have this noise?

No, I might just for good measure though. Doesn't seem to be through the driveline, happens whether I'm into the gas or not.

agreed that greasing the slip yoke got rid of the clunks for me too.

kstruckcountry, you check that spare yet? if it is loose will make all kinds of noise.

I've noticed it since I got the truck, and figured it was because my 2006 is simply more rigid than the 1990. Whenever I hit a bump right, the back end of the truck seems to make a hollow clunking noise. When I rotated tires, I took a look, and nothing seemed to be loose on springs, shocks, or cab. Anybody else have this noise?

Look in your glove box and see if the code G80 is in there. If so its your rear end locking to put more power and traction down. Its normal

No it's not locking up, I know what that feels like. Tightened a few things on the spare mount down, and cinched up the spare itself, seemed to help.

Mine does it all the time and I can't figure out what is either. I've got the spare as tight as it will go, and even took the hitch out, and it still does it. :M16:

mine does it too,seems to be more so when it is cold,can't figure it out but it drives me crazy,only happens when the suspension is flexing alot.

Mine hasn't done it recently that I've noticed. But the rattle by my left knee in certain temperatures is as bad as ever lol

Had a body lift installed today and the guy found my infamous rattle, lol. Loose shock mount, no more rattle!

• Like 1

Leaf springs will rattle when unloaded. To test, put several 100 lbs in rear to preload springs and I'll bet you won't hear any more noise. Its the bottom leaf hitting the top ones. How you drive influences this also.

Did you ever get this fixed? Mine is doing the exact same thing. A hollow clunk when hitting an incline at offset angle or the right bump at slow speeds.

I had that problem on my 2013 sierra it ended up being axle wrap, it is when the rear axle is alound to turn against leaf springs. The metal used in the leaf springs has changed somewhat allowing the bottom leaf spring to flex hiting the other 2 leafs causing an annoying thunk or clunk. I fixed mine by tightening the axle u bolts to leaf, they were under torqued from factory and applying heavy axle grease between and ahead of the axle leaf layers.

Problem sounded 10x better, another fix is putting additional ubolt in front of axle around 2.5-3" and squeezing leafs together problem gone also....this helps leafs preload somewhat stoping clunk from axle wrap starting and stopping, or backing up over uneven elevated ground.

Hope this helps you.

My 06 gmc clunkes near right rear springs. I had the drive line out to clean and grease splines . It helped but next I will focus on the springs.

Edited by Greg Russell
Misspellings