Bumpers are Crap!!

My wife just backed into my truck in the driveway,I was pissed,I went out to look and the bumper on the front drivers side is pushed in about 10 inches,broke the plastic on the bottom,popped the fog light out,I then turned arround and looked at her car (Hyundai Elantra) and find one little scratch,nothing broken or bent.I then went in the house and grabed a pair of work gloves and grabbed the bumper and pulled it almost completly out (It dident take much force )I'm anal about my truck and it will be fixed right,I just can't believe how cheap these bumpers are.I remember once I bent a bumper on a 83 silverado and I had to hook a tow rope arround the bumper and hook the other end arround a tree and kept backing the truck up quite a few times and had a hell of a time bending it back.

I would recommend getting a steel bumper. They are quite expensive, but it is probably worth it. Especially if you're anal about your truck, because I am too. A fender bender will virtually do nothing on you, and probably mess up the other vehicle pretty bad, but if its their fault they deserve it, right?

There is nothing behind the pretty part. Not on the ends outside the frame rails anyway.

I meant that "tongue in cheek", but you are correct. The chrome piece that wraps the outside edge is for looks, and holds the top plastic piece on the outside. The bumper is behind the chrome, with the thickest part in the center. Every newer truck I've looked at is built that way..

The bumper did exactly what is was designed to do, crush and absorb impact. These bumpers are not there to protect the vehicle from damage.

Then why aren't they called "crushers" or "crumplers"?

Who needs functional bumpers anyway? They are so yesterday! We need important things like heated and cooled cupholders in our trucks!

The bumper did exactly what is was designed to do, crush and absorb impact. These bumpers are not there to protect the vehicle from damage.

Absolutely right. It's part of energy absorption and crumple zones to protect the passengers. Also to save weight for gas mileage.

I get the parts book from LMC. When I first looked at the bumpers, I was totally shocked. Take a look at the rear bumper for example on my 09 Silverado. There is a flat metal piece that runs across the top which is covered with the black rubber you see. Then there are the two pieces of chrome going from the center to each side of the truck, and then a big black plastic piece in the center where the license plate is. I think any type of hitting it would bend other parts also. I think all they are for now is to hold the license plate and provide a step into the truck with the tailgate up.

Check out this link to the parts page.....

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ce/full.aspx?Page=26

I too drove an old 85 Silverado and was rear ended on the freeway. The rear bumper was slightly, I mean slightly bent, you could hardley tell. The car that hit me, was totaled. The grill and radiator were trashed, coolant leaking all over the place, and the hood to the car was crumpled. I think I prefer the older style bumpers even if it means loosing the crumple zone. But then, I may change my mind if I am involved in an accident.

Archived