Column Shift - Bench Seat - Gone - 2014 Impala.

Here we go again.

Another icon of US manufacturers - gone forever.

The six passenger 4 door sedan.

Say good-bye to the six passenger sedan and the column shifter with the introduction of the 2014 Chevrolet Impala.

The current 2012 Chevrolet Impala was one of the last or the last 6 passenger cars available.

RIP.

This new upcoming 2014 Chevrolet Impala is only a 5 seater.

Mike Colias

Automotive News -- April 9, 2012 - 12:01 am ET

NEW YORK -- The redesigned Chevrolet Impala that bowed here last week reveals a new design direction for the face for General Motors' highest-volume brand.

GM is moving Chevy away from the two-tier grille that is split by a narrow, horizontal bar stamped with the brand's gold bow tie. GM's design bosses say the 2014 Impala's wider, deeper grille and flared-back headlamps mark the first attempt to change the face that has adorned most Chevrolet vehicles for nearly a decade.

"It's important to understand when a face needs to evolve," says Ed Welburn, GM design chief. "You don't want to walk away from something that has been so strong, but I've felt that it needed to be freshened."

A few months ago, Welburn presented his vision of the future face of Chevrolet to CEO Dan Akerson and other GM leaders. He says the front end on the Impala, which will go on sale around April of next year, is an evolutionary step.

"Future Chevrolets will become even more distinct and a bit more premium in the face," Welburn says.

The front of most Chevrolets today, including the Cruze and the redesigned Malibu, has a narrower grille with a mesh, honeycomb look. The headlights have a more-vertical design and are less swept back than on the new Impala.

The Impala's wider grille "helps give the car a wider, more-planted stance," says John Cafaro, a longtime GM designer who led the new Impala's exterior styling.

Welburn says his team began crafting the new look a couple of years ago in an effort to differentiate the Impala's face from that of the 2013 Malibu. To do that, designers borrowed heavily from the Camaro, which also sports a wider, more muscular-looking grille.

Mark Reuss, GM's president of North America, says the Camaro is a good place to look for inspiration because it's "a hit around the world."

"So how do you take that DNA of sportiness and dial it into what was an older, twin-port design to make it contemporary?" he says. "That's what we're working on really hard."

The new front-end features go beyond Chevy's car lineup. The Traverse crossover shown in New York last week also ditches the split-grille feature for a wider, more linear look.

I think you are taking this bench seat thing too far. I have never seen a current generation 6 passenger impala, all the ones I have seen have had a console and console shifter, even the cops cars I have seen are buckets but with column shift so do 6 passenger ones even exist?

was thinking the same thing.

My '06 Impala had the bench seat with column shift. I loved that car. It was nice being able to put a sixth person in it when needed. Granted, it wasn't often.

Thanks.

There is more then one model of the 2012 Impala. Some option packages have floor shifter while others have the column shifter. And yes, the seat in column shifter is a split bench seat.

Once gone never to come back.

Yep, the front bench seat is a holdover from when it was okay to let your kid ride up front with ya and not have a booster seat or whatever. Can't do that now. :lol: I don't have kids but I did watch my friends son a few times before I moved and the seat he had before being big enough for a booster seat was a head trip to secure- seat belt wound through the frame, teather thing from the top to a clip behind the back seat, the LATCH anchors in the bottom of the seat then the belt that held the little guy in- a 4 point harness with a 2 point one below it.

Not sure I could do that every day. :lol:

Thanks Jeff for the picture.

Many probably never knew that there was one car out there like this one. That can seat six legally. In the model year 2012.

2012 Chevrolet Impala.

Ok i just dont understand your obsession with the bench.

It is a 6 in a pinch, like 5 miles home from a restaurant, it isnt something to pack 6 and luggage and gifts into to go to clarks for christmas. People who needed that capacity bought minivans, then minivans became uncool and now people who do buy crossovers. The fact you have to spec an impala with the 6 passenger config means you have to plan on 6 people being in it at some point so why not just get the traverse, they are about $5,000 more but take the finance out over another year and all about the same. Plus with child booster seat laws that front center seat is useless.

I am not saying you are wrong just I dont understand why it is such a big deal.

" I dont understand why it is such a big deal. "

Because we are all losing something that will never come back.

With the car pictured one has the capability to seat six. A sedan that seats six. Gone.

Yes, there are now crossovers and suv's that will seat 7 or so. But no sedans anymore. This is the last one that I know of that is a regular car that can legally seat six.

Gone is the bench seat.

Gone is the column shift (except trucks).

Gone is the station wagon.

Gone is manual standard shift (with few exceptions).

That's all.

is really isnt a

Ok i just dont understand your obsession with the bench.

It is a 6 in a pinch, like 5 miles home from a restaurant, it isnt something to pack 6 and luggage and gifts into to go to clarks for christmas. People who needed that capacity bought minivans, then minivans became uncool and now people who do buy crossovers. The fact you have to spec an impala with the 6 passenger config means you have to plan on 6 people being in it at some point so why not just get the traverse, they are about $5,000 more but take the finance out over another year and all about the same. Plus with child booster seat laws that front center seat is useless.

I am not saying you are wrong just I dont understand why it is such a big deal.

it shouldnt be a big deal. how many people in this day and age want a column shifter and a bench seat? things change, thats just life.

" I dont understand why it is such a big deal. "

Because we are all losing something that will never come back.

With the car pictured one has the capability to seat six. A sedan that seats six. Gone.

Yes, there are now crossovers and suv's that will seat 7 or so. But no sedans anymore. This is the last one that I know of that is a regular car that can legally seat six.

Gone is the bench seat.

Gone is the column shift (except trucks).

Gone is the station wagon.

Gone is manual standard shift (with few exceptions).

That's all.

Station wagon still lives on in GM. The CTS and CTS-V both come in station wagons

• 2 months later...

First off you are wrong. The 2013 Impala is going to be a carryover from the 2012 model year and have a brief run until the new design comes out. So the 2013 Impala will be the last one. Anyway I have a 2004 Impala with a column shifter and the seat design with it is stupid. The drivers seat is connected to the middle while the passenger seat is separate. I still like it better because I have more room up front and my leg doesn't have to rest on the center console. For short trips it comes in handy and instead of using 2 cars you only need to use one which saves gas and is better for the environment. The only vehicles that use a column shifter are some pick-up trucks but even trucks are going to floor shifters which makes no sense considering a regular cab is small and people use them for work and they need the room.

Archived