OEM Wheels Peeling

BradsZed

Just noticed late today while cleaning my OEM 18" wheels that all four are starting to peel. It looks like a clear coat or something. I have 55,000km with warrenty untill 60,000km. Does anybody know if this is covered under warrenty or not? or does it depend on the dealer. Thanks for any help.

I've bought two new Chevy trucks in the last year. If I wanted my rims and tires covered I had two pay and extra $200. Or mabey I just got riped, but still wouldn't hurt to try.

This was an issue with the OEM TBSS wheels around the lug area and GM made those good IIRC. It never hurts to call and ask the service department if it's a warranty item or not IMO.

C-Dub is right about the problem with the OEM wheels. My first chevy I bought about 2 years back had problems with that. My newer Chevy I just bought they change the Lug openings.

As for your ? BlackZ71S - It's a tire and rim coverage that covers damage. If I curb and blow a tire or bend a rim its covered. The one catch is if you scrap up a rim thats not covered so I'll just make sure its bent. But when I went to a bigger tire size anyways so the tire part is gone. I believe if you are having just pealing issues they my swap them out. You should chech and let use know.

Thanks

I talked to the dealer today. They said it is covered but I have to bring the truck in, they will take photos of the peeling wheels and send them away then let me know...whatever that means. I guess it is not their call. I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I cannot answer your question about warrenty, I would like to add, that it is very common for the finishes to peel on the stock GM rims, the "chrome finish" especially. This has been an on going topic since 1998 with the Camaro & Firebird factory chrome 16" rims.

I will be replacing my stock 20" rims (2012 Yukon Denali) with high grade "Forgeline" rims within 2 months.

http://www.forgeline.com/

Well I am going in Friday to have my peeling wheels replaced. I guess they were bad enough to be covered under warrenty. I questioned them about paying extra for rim/tire warrenty and they said it is all covered under the "bumper to bumper" until 60K. Does anybody know if there are disadvantages to having the balance weights put on the inside of the rim? I just hate having that ugly this on the outside.

Had my new wheels installed yesterday! Mechanic noticed one of the wheels had a defect from the factory...so back to the dealership later this week to have it replaced. They also put these "sticky weights" on the inside this time to balance them. Looks so much better.

Had my new wheels installed yesterday! Mechanic noticed one of the wheels had a defect from the factory...so back to the dealership later this week to have it replaced. They also put these "sticky weights" on the inside this time to balance them. Looks so much better.

Thats what Im going to have done when I get tires put on my 18" Rims. Like you said it looks way better, and then theres no place for salt and road grime to lay under the weight and corrode the wheel.

Archived