Looking for a new home defense/carry gun

My S&W M&P45 is probably my favorite gun to shoot. It's a little big for daily carry but is a great home defense/range gun. The trijicon tritium night sights are great during the day and at night. Plus 11 rounds of 230Gr Gold Dots or 230 Gr. Critical Defense is more than enough.

IMG_0286.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Last year, I picked up a Sig 239 in .40 S&W. It's about as close as I've owned to a perfect CCW/roadtrip/home defense gun all in one. Nice thin, clean gun no-snag shape with no rails for all the extra BS that gets pushed. No lasers, no lights, nada. Just bang, bang.

I've made a super compact 1911 before they were available from the likes of Detonics, then bought a Detonics when they came out. Same with the Colt Officer's 1911. The Sig 239 is a better gun for the task all the way around. I highly recommend it.

P239-detail-L.jpg

If you want to carry a 1911 do not get one with tight tolerances, when your life depends on it you do not want it to jam on you. There was a reason GI 1911 rattle when you shake them. If you get a match grade gun dirty it will jam as the lock up is very precise with little tolerance margin. I personall would go get a Rock Island or Citadel and just have nice sights installed. I know this will raise some debate but, look at it form this perspective. Would you rather have the police hold on to your 1-2 thousand dollar gun through thier investigation or a 4-500 dollar gun. Me personally I carry a berreta px4 sub compact in .40. I just can't stand carring cocked. It just goes against everything I have been trained.

this is my home defense

2012-05-26101829.jpg

this was my home defense for my wife, but i traded it in at the dealership for my Denali lol.

DSC00026.jpg

my px4 that I carry

DSC00069.jpg

I am a bigger guy so it is a bit easier for me to conceal a wider side arm.

If you want to carry a 1911 do not get one with tight tolerances, when your life depends on it you do not want it to jam on you. There was a reason GI 1911 rattle when you shake them. If you get a match grade gun dirty it will jam as the lock up is very precise with little tolerance margin. I personall would go get a Rock Island or Citadel and just have nice sights installed. I know this will raise some debate but, look at it form this perspective. Would you rather have the police hold on to your 1-2 thousand dollar gun through thier investigation or a 4-500 dollar gun. Me personally I carry a berreta px4 sub compact in .40. I just can't stand carring cocked. It just goes against everything I have been trained.

If I have shot someone, I don't much care how much the gun costs they decide to hold. The only thing I would care about before the shooting is staying alive, and the only thing afterward would be staying out of prison. They could keep any gun, regardless of cost, if it keeps me out of prison. If you were true to the first part, staying out of prison will be much easier.

• 3 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents but the best home defense for someone who doesnt handle firearms on a daily basis is a shotgun or atleast the judge in .410. I personally have a handgun, but i handle them everyday. In the heat of the moment, in the dark a short barrelled 20 gauge is perfect. plus you dont have to worry about what happens if you miss( going through walls,etc..), Just my 2 cents!

The Judge is a lousy self defense weapon with .410 in it and buckshot can still go through walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you say that? The judge is a great home defence gun as long as you have a home defence load in it.

People have false thought about buckshot! My buddy had buckshot come threw his house and take out the kitchen light when they guy across the street discharged his shotgun while drinking. Besides bird shot would give you a much better pattern!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

im sorry i didnt clarify, bird shot not buckshot in a 20 gauge, everyone is intitled to there opinion, thats why i added my 2 cents

The Judge is a lousy self defense weapon with .410 in it and buckshot can still go through walls.

im sorry i didnt clarify, bird shot not buckshot in a 20 gauge, everyone is intitled to there opinion, thats why i added my 2 cents

If you use birdshot against an intruder, you'll end up dead. Birdshot is NOT lethal to a human, it won't penetrate worth shit.

Your right it wont kill them, but its normally enough to chase them off if your worryed about shoting threw walls and such.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Knowingly using a less than lethal round will get you thrown in jail. You shoot to kill because you're in fear of you life of the lives of your family. You don't shoot to scare.

Archived