100,000 mile maintenance options

I just priced having some 100,00 mile routine maintenance done on my '04 Silverado by the dealer and these are some figures I got.

Transmission service, flush and filter. (Also done at 50K) $169.00

Transfer case service $35.00

All new plugs and wires $250.00

Fuel Filter $20.00

Front and rear differential gear case fluid $125.00 EACH

This all totals up to $724.00 Ouch! Thats seems really high for just some preventative maintenance. Should I price somewhere else? I usually like using this dealer because they have always done good work. They said that the Ac delco fluids for these services where also really high. Is all of this maintenance necessary? I do take good care of the truck and plan on driving it as long as I can. I also tow my 2-horse trailer with it.

Mostly sounds like good suggestions but ouch on price to say the least. If you're at all mechanically inclined or a friend that works for drink of choice, do it yourself. If you can change oil then diffs and t case is no different. Plugs are easy wires can be checked and probably saved. Fuel filter is in tank and if truck is running good, leave it alone. Trans, I'd just change fluid and filter, forget the flush. Finally depending on age of coolant, might want coolant/thermostat replacement. Probably can get it all done for half the quoted price, maybe more.

Yes I do believe all that maintenance is necessary, and yes that is pricey I second the do it yourself or have a mechanically inclined friend do it ( hopefully you have one). 250 for a plug and wire change that's ridiculous and so is the fluid swap on the diffs. +2 on the filter and fluid on the tranny no need to have it flushed. If it comes down to it pay the dealer (I wouldn't, I'd do it myself), point being get it done especially if you plan on keeping the truck for a while, just my 2cents.

By the way nice truck!

I'll support the DYI idea for the transfer case and front/rear differential services. I've done all three this past year on my 2005 truck. If I can do it....then most anybody can do it. Does the "Tech Wiki / How-To" section still exist on this forum? I know there were a lot of great step by step instructions in there....with pictures!

I'll support the DYI idea for the transfer case and front/rear differential services. I've done all three this past year on my 2005 truck. If I can do it....then most anybody can do it. Does the "Tech Wiki / How-To" section still exist on this forum? I know there were a lot of great step by step instructions in there....with pictures!

Diffs: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=33529

Trans: http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4636

I agree with DIY option. Drain and change the transmission fluid, dont flush it. (search for torque specs on transmission bolts) and buy a gasket. Change the transfer case fluid yourself, its REALLY easy. Plugs and wires should not cost that much. I went to Napa and bought $100 (premium) wires with lifetime warranty if I saved the box they came in (i sill have it 2 years later). The plugs were relatively inexpensive. If the truck starts and runs fine than a fuel filter is not necessary, its part of the fuel pump inside the gas tank (unlike older cars where it is somewhere along the frame and can be quickly replaced). As for the diff fluid Im not sure if that cost is accurate or not. I too need to change mine. I think it depends on if you have a certain locking diff or not it will cost more or less. Search here for that info also.

Excellent advice above.

Do what you deem appropriate.

From my perspective. The transmission fluid sould be changed every 2 or 3 years. Others disagree. Fine. I would definitely get the fluid changed if not done since new.

The plugs and wires may last another 25,000 miles or more. No hurry there.

All other fluids should be changed as scheduled.

A local independent mechanic may charge less.

Archived