Drag Race Question

I plan on taking my truck to the drag strip in the near future and have a couple small questions. I have a 2011 silverado crew cab which is stock besides for a few appearence items. Will the truck hook up launching in 2wd? I just have a hard time imagining that lauching in 4wd then switching back into 2wd is not hard on the truck. I have racing experience as we normally run a camaro drag car on the weekends i am just looking to have a little extra fun in my truck. Thanks in advanced for any advice.

The truck will probably hook if you don't remove too much weight on the rear of the truck. Mine started hopping when I ran it in 2wd and had the tailgate and rear seats removed. I launched and ran the quarter in 4wd from then on, but you could tell that the truck was not as fast on the big end while in 4wd. I didn't really want to risk swapping mid run either, but I have heard of several people doing this with no issue.

I can't imagine your truck being faster in 4 wheel drive having the drag of that front differential driving the front wheels all the way down the track. I would rather feather the launch than use 4 wheel drive. As far as switching half way down the track back to 2 wheel drive I wouldn't even want to try it with the pedal to the floor with that much of a load on the drivetrain.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, if your torque management is still there (ie no tune) your not going to spin much so I'd run in 2wd. If you have tuned the torque management out or down, I'd try 4auto. I would never switch from 4wd to 2wd (or vice versa) under a load. Not saying you can't, I just wouldn't. You can experiment betweeen 2wd and 4auto and see what gets you quicker times.

Let us know. I don't race but would be curious what you experience.

Archived