'09 1500 to '05 1500HD

I found a 2005 1500 HD with 97K on it. Its 4WD, 4.10, buckets, Bose LS. It was a one owner that traded it in on a 2013 HD with the 6.0. Pretty standard truck but I'm trying to reduce knock my payments down at least 100 a month. My '09 is a CC Z71 LT with 77K on it. They offered me 23,5 for my truck unseen and without talking price they want 18 for the 05 but they are about 2K high on what they want KBB wise. My tires are new (Cooper st maxx 275 70's) and the 05 is probably about 30% so that gives me some room to talk there.

I was hoping to loose about 10K off of my loan. Is it bad to go backwards? I know that the 6.0/4L80 combo is tough to beat with endless mod opportunities and the factory 4.10s help....just kicking the thought around in my mind.

Im expecting to loose some mileage but with my 33's now and lethargic stock tuned truck the best my DIC has shown is 13.3. Now I know its off due to the taller tires but pretty far from the 17.5+ I used to get stock. The 6.0/4L80/4.10 is pretty enticing though. The Deal would have to be right to make this even a possibility, guess tomorrow will tell more.

Surprised you are getting that bad of mileage. I have the 09 with the 6.0L 6 speed and have 275/65/18 Lt tires and am getting about 17 combined mileage.

IMO, its the horrible factory tune! The 5.3 is working and it doesnt matter much even if I baby it. I wont buy another full size vehicle with the 5.3 in it, at least not till its listed with over 400 Ft Lbs of TQ!

I just don't think it is wise to go backwards especially when the 05 has another 20,000 miles on it. Remember at some point you will want to sell/trade the 05 and it will be four years older and have more miles. Just seems like when the GM gassers get too far above 100K they really start dinging them on price. I know there is a lot of miles left in them though. I went from a 05 2500HD 6.0 to a 08 LMM. I liked the seats/interior better in the 05. I kind of liked the look of the 05 compared to the 08. That said, I would not trade back after having the diesel. Mileage on the 1500HD will be around 13.5-15. You should be getting better than 13.3 with the 33's on the 09. I had 285/75/16's on my 2000 1500 and could still get 15-16 pretty easy. If you have not recalibrated the speedo for 33's then the DIC is basically worthless. Only way to tell mileage is too hand-calculate. The 09 should get 10-15% better mileage than the 05 and if you figure you are driving 20,000 per year the $100 difference in payments is cut in about half. If it was me I'd stick with the 09 unless you need the payload/towing benefits with the 1500HD.

• 1 month later...

I sort of did this in a way. I had a 06 Tacoma with 80k. It was a great truck but I needed more truck and more room with my growing family. Also I wanted to lower my payment. I got an 07 HD1500 Classic with 88k on it and haven't looked back. Had it for a year and a half and absolutely love it! My payment went down 281 bucks, my insurance dropped 80 bucks a month as well. I have been very happy with my decision.

Just recently I put new tires, shocks and brakes on the Gimmy and would have been doing the same on the Toyota about the same time so no worries there and I have found the G.M. truck parts are cheaper for the most part, one more plus.

id factor in how many miles you drive a year before buying.. you dont want to be stuck with a truck with 170,000 miles and its still not paid off.

also 18 is way to much for that 1500HD. and like others have said its gonna be a hog on gas. maybe you could swing a little lower and look for a clean GMT800 1500?

Archived