New DI V8 ?

Sounds like you made the same mistake as me. Just remember though, and that through a lot of research, you would have stood a good chance of not having problems with oil consumptiion!! You should have put the darn thing in M5 around town and then tuned out D.O.D after the 5yr 100,000 mile warranty. Yeah I know, a lot of highway miles............. there still would have been a good chance of not having problems, compared with 2007 and yours being a 2011!!

Most people here seem to agree that the aluminum block has more problems on this subject then the iron block. However, aluminum disapates heat better then iron. I will let you figure out the rest!!

I don't think he made a mistake. I used to have a 2006 with the 5.3 and never had an issue with the engine. I now have a 2011 with the 5.3 AFM and last summer at about 10k I had the engine light come on. I was down almost 4 quarts of oil. The dealership replaced the valve cover with a new design and it seems to be working now and not burning oil anymore.

On a side note, I was getting better gas millage on the 5.3 than I am with the 5.3 AFM. Both trucks were 4x4 Z71 Crew Cabs, only real difference was the AFM.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The direct injection should make it easier for engineers to control fuel when cruising, and getting better economy/power. With direct injection you can control when to start injecting, when to stop, how much fuel while injecting and even inject the fuel in a stutter fashion. This will an interesting year or two with ecm tuners learning how to take advantage of the direct injection.

Nice to see they dropped the 4.8 and the 4 speed.

I am so thankful they are using a proven push-rod engine, there is NO need for turbo in turbo, intercoolers, computer firmware that is full of BUGS and causes limp-mode.

Has anyone thought about the EXPENSIVE parts in a F150 'EcoToot' engine, who is going to be able to fix them??? Do you take out a gold credit card upon purchase?

They are having major problems now, enough of them are in the field now and the problems will continue to be a nightmare for owners and Furd... Anyone with commonsense knows all of that 'high-tech' crap is going to malfunction and it is going to COST big money to fix it. We will see how the re-sale of these 'Furd wonders' will plummet....

The push-rod V8 is NOT outdated, more moving parts = more expenses and more problems. 5 foot cam-chains in the 'triton' engines you sure don't see any on the road...

That is the last thing on my mind, if Furd is #1 selling truck why are they NOT on the road... makes one think it is a farce

I am so thankful they are using a proven push-rod engine, there is NO need for turbo in turbo, intercoolers, computer firmware that is full of BUGS and causes limp-mode.

Has anyone thought about the EXPENSIVE parts in a F150 'EcoToot' engine, who is going to be able to fix them??? Do you take out a gold credit card upon purchase?

They are having major problems now, enough of them are in the field now and the problems will continue to be a nightmare for owners and Furd... Anyone with commonsense knows all of that 'high-tech' crap is going to malfunction and it is going to COST big money to fix it. We will see how the re-sale of these 'Furd wonders' will plummet....

The push-rod V8 is NOT outdated, more moving parts = more expenses and more problems. 5 foot cam-chains in the 'triton' engines you sure don't see any on the road...

That is the last thing on my mind, if Furd is #1 selling truck why are they NOT on the road... makes one think it is a farce

Must just be where you live. I see far more Ford trucks than any other brand driving around here.

Why do you stop at the technology level of your truck? It has far more "high-tech crap" than a 1985 truck has. The 1985 truck did not have any computer firmware that could invoke a limp mode either, does that make it better?

What major problems are they having with the EcoBoost truck?

You really sound a lot like a Harley owner. Afraid of advancements in technology.

I don't think he made a mistake. I used to have a 2006 with the 5.3 and never had an issue with the engine. I now have a 2011 with the 5.3 AFM and last summer at about 10k I had the engine light come on. I was down almost 4 quarts of oil. The dealership replaced the valve cover with a new design and it seems to be working now and not burning oil anymore.

On a side note, I was getting better gas millage on the 5.3 than I am with the 5.3 AFM. Both trucks were 4x4 Z71 Crew Cabs, only real difference was the AFM.

I think I spoke too soon about the valve cover fixing my issue. I've been lax and hadn't checked so after reading this last night I decided to check my oil level. I'm low again, it's going back in to the dealer tomorrow.

• 7 months later...

The EB motors can get condensation in the inter cooler and that can make it stall or go into limp mode.

This. I traded a 2012 F-150 with the EcoBoost for my Sierra. I had this happen 3 times. Cruising along, then tromp the gas to pass or whatnot. Engine ingests water from the intercooler and misfires and the truck would fall flat on it's face. Ford's fix was to put a plastic shield over half the intercooler to try and keep the temperatures inside it up to prevent condensation. Nice fix...

Archived