Window Tint Ticket Stories

Got a ticket for my windows today. Cop said i had to make it legal. Its a 400$ fine. I called the place I got it done and asked them if they would take it off. Its going to cost me like 175$ to take both front windows and the windshield. He did say i could get a doctors note. I do wear glasses and i do have sensitive eyes. Should i take it down? Im going to re tint it anyway. I need advice.

To clarify, the laws in SC say if its an SUV back windows can be as dark as you want. Front has to be 35%. My windows were both down when he stopped me. He metered my side window and it read 15. He talked about my windshield the most. My back windows are factory 18 my front matches the back at 18. My windshield is 35%. I have my windshield tinted because it keeps the car cool in the summer and it blocks out heat. The only problem is he kept saying that if i contact him before the court date then we could "figure something out". I don't know if that means he will drop the ticket himself or reduce it or what. But he was persistent in saying that i talk to him. He said that if i wait then no one is going to do me any favors and if he sees me again he can write another ticket. He pulled me over in an area that I see his cars a lot. I know my tint is illegal. My windows are not black as night. Im probably going to remove it just so i dont have to pay $400 and try and work out a deal with the people that put it on. This crap pisses me off because all the under cover tahoes and cruisers here have 5%.

*** the doctors note idea was just an idea to save perhaps save me some trouble.

Anyone else have tint ticket stories they want to share????

Wow, around here knock on wood they could care less. My brother once got a ticket for his on his malibu and had to remove it. Cop didnt even have a meter.

If I am ever hassled I plan on going to my eye doc to get a "note" as my eyes are more light sensitive now after laser eye surgery a few yrs ago but I havent had to go that route.

Same as Ryan, I don't want to give myself bad karma but I have had 5% on the front driver and passenger door on five trucks, never been hassled. I can't say they don't care though because my buddy got pulled over for it in his white lifted RCSB, honestly I'm guessing because limo tint stuck out on the white truck.

I also have sensitive eyes, contacts and I'm -6.5 in both eyes. I wear sunglasses religiously out of a vehilce but don't feel like I can see at all with them on in a truck. Truthfully I have tint to keep down glare, mostly at night. When a car is behind you and the lights are blarring in all your mirrors my 5% cuts was down on it. If I don't have tint, I can't really see at night.

I would look into the docotor's note if you can, if you don't have a previous record I would think there would be no issue in court if you took it that far.

But he was persistent in saying that i talk to him. He said that if i wait then no one is going to do me any favors and if he sees me again he can write another ticket

Keep your ticket, you should have a period of time (reasonable) to get it fixed. There is no way he can give you a ticket a few days later because you have to make arrangements to make it right. I think a judge would agree with that.

I think once the ticket is entered they can't take it back out. It is weird that he wants you to contact him directly.

My eyes are pretty sensitive but sunglasses are cheaper and I can take them with me. In the areas I drive you don't want dark tint because it can prevent you from seeing deer at night.

usually tint lawas are for law enforcement protection (so they can see in the vehicle easier)

then i wish there was rule that said you had to roll down your front windows when stopped. There is no regualtion on back glass on SUVs in SC

I got a fix-it-ticket on my last truck that I had tinted, just one tint above factory tint on the driver and passenger windows. Like Ryan said yes the cops can't see in, but also the officer said it was because if they went to get you out of the car in an accident, the tint film wouldn't let the glass shatter. Don't shoot the messenger, just repeating what he said.

i personally think tinting your windshield is not smart.. thats just asking for trouble.

i have 5 percent all the way around except windshield in PA for about 3 years and have never had any issues even when being pulled over. knock on wood

My last two trucks were %5 all around only got a couple warnings, as I was pulled over for something else lol. The truck I have now isn't as dark, it's dark but not as bad...never been hassled. One time in Alberta my buddy had to get his removed tho...

usually tint lawas are for law enforcement protection (so they can see in the vehicle easier)

then i wish there was rule that said you had to roll down your front windows when stopped. There is no regualtion on back glass on SUVs in SC

Where in Columbia did you get the ticket so I can avoid that area lol.

But he was persistent in saying that i talk to him. He said that if i wait then no one is going to do me any favors and if he sees me again he can write another ticket

Keep your ticket, you should have a period of time (reasonable) to get it fixed. There is no way he can give you a ticket a few days later because you have to make arrangements to make it right. I think a judge would agree with that.

That may "sound good" but they can ticket you as many times as they see you driving a vehicle with illegal equipment. A violation is a violation. There is no grace period for adhering to the law. A tinted windshield? Really?

Around here they are serious about tint laws. No vehicle inspection if you are over the limit and they will pull you and write you up for tint. I finally just went with legal tint to avoid the hassle.

Archived