6.2 real world towing

looking to get into a 6.2 with max tow package, going to be towing about 8000lbs, below the limit, but is anybody towing with one of these with that kind of weight and how does it do ? any mods needed ? thanks Rob

If your going to be towing 8,000 #'s buy a 3/4 or 1 ton and don't look back. My TT is 5700 #'s empty 7,500 #'s loaded, I had a 2010 Sierra with the 5.3L and it towed great in the flats of south jersey, took it to the Poconos twice and it was fine, but once I got into the real mountains in the Adirondack Mts. it was outmatched. I would scream up the mountains and get pushed coming down. I had a ton of upgrades to help with towing, and I got 7 mpg getting there and 8 mpg coming home. Needless to say I traded it in on a 3/4 ton diesel. I don't have to worry about it being over matched now, and I will feel safer with the kids in the truck towing.

• 1 month later...

Pulled an 8000# TT with a 2010 Silverado 6.2. Plenty of HP not so much of torque, problem was up hills, even moderate grades. It downshifted enough to kill the mileage into the 8's. Straight and level w/no wind was fine, into the 10's. Downhill was virtually the same: had to downshift or use tow-haul to limit braking but at the cost of mileage.

Have since bought a 2012 Sierra Duramax...big difference! Same TT but mileage when new in the 12's. Local driving (no TT) about 75/25 hwy/town initial mileage low 14's. With 10k now getting low 16's. I'm intentionally not being exact because of the disparity of DIC vs. hand calculation of which I have used both. The DIC is usually about .5 mpg higher than hand calculation. My theory is that is due to the regeneration process but of course don't know for sure.

The combination of the DMAX/Allison eliminates the need for excessive downshifting and coupled with the exhaust brake limits excessive braking downhill. For instance; have descended the Grapevine in S. Calif. with the trailer setting the cruise at 55, did not go over 60 without touching the brake, it would automatically downshift once and hold the speed with the exhaust brake.

Guess you can tell I'm pretty stoked about this truck!

16x8 enclosed Haulmark trailer with 2 Harley's (Road King and a Street Glide) from Mass to Daytona got 9 MPG's. Towed great but wasn't too excited about the mileage. Going again this year. Same setup but towing with a 2011 2500 Sierra Denail 6.0 gasser. I'll post up how we do when we get back.

what kind of terrain will you be driving on? Hills? Flats? How long will you be towing? If this is just up the street and back and you are not traveling the 6.2 will be fine. But when you start traveling with that weight, cargo and other things add up quickly that can change performance too.

How often will you go 8000 and where are you going to be traveling. There are a couple things to consider as some of the other guys have mentioned. May need to look at the 3/4 ton truck. I have the 6.2 it does the job easily for my occasional needs without a sweat buuuut if i was hauling alot ( daily) over a bunch of hilly mountains i would have gotten the 3/4.

• 4 weeks later...

looking to get into a 6.2 with max tow package, going to be towing about 8000lbs, below the limit, but is anybody towing with one of these with that kind of weight and how does it do ? any mods needed ? thanks Rob

If you plan on serious towing a 8000 lb gvw trailer, I recommend you seriously consider 3/4 ton. The 6.0 with 4:10 axle is built for towing. An 8000 lb trailer will have a hitch weight (15%) of around 1100 lbs. With 1/2 ton truck, this will leave very little available payload for passengers, gear in bed, etc.

Steve

Rob

I have a 6.2 with the max towing package and i have a 32ft travel trailer with a large slide out. On flat ground it towed ok and in the mtns it sucked. It shifted a lot and had to go down to 3rd on steep hills. You can see the mods I have done below and now it tows great I gained 2-3mpg towing and in the mtns it never shifted below 4th gear. The best mpg I got was 12.5mpg while towing. I have a bunch more weight too since we gained a kid and tons more camping toys. I wanted a duramax but it would not fit in the garage. With all of the mods I now enjoy my truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Rob

I have a 6.2 with the max towing package and i have a 32ft travel trailer with a large slide out. On flat ground it towed ok and in the mtns it sucked. It shifted a lot and had to go down to 3rd on steep hills. You can see the mods I have done below and now it tows great I gained 2-3mpg towing and in the mtns it never shifted below 4th gear. The best mpg I got was 12.5mpg while towing. I have a bunch more weight too since we gained a kid and tons more camping toys. I wanted a duramax but it would not fit in the garage. With all of the mods I now enjoy my truck.

dude, it is a 1/2 ton truck. I can't think of any 32ft travel trailer that I would pull behind a 1/2 ton pickup. that is simply too much to control. I think people are expecting too much.

I tow 23 foot boat (actually closer to 25 on trailer) that weighs in around 6300lbs lake ready. The 6.2 pulls it with ease. In windy conditions I can feel it back there. Yes, it downshifts on hills, but the that is the job of the transmission - to keep the engine in the right power band. Downshifting is not a sign that the truck is underpowered.

As for gas mileage, that is natural. It takes gas and air to make the horse power. that is just science at work. drive it and be happy!

dude, it is a 1/2 ton truck. I can't think of any 32ft travel trailer that I would pull behind a 1/2 ton pickup.

Our camper is 32 ft, and I tow it long distance every year. Keep in mind, a 32 ft "bumper pull" camper has a ~ 27 to 28 ft box. Also, a camper is mostly just empty space, so length has a lot less to do with handling than weight distribution. I pulled a 22 ft, lower profile camper w/ the same truck previously (~2k less pounds), and the 32 ft pulls better, except that I notice the power difference when pulling out, and on steep grades. That said, it depends on the camper and hitch/setup. Low tongue weight or poor setup == bad towing.

I've said it before and ill say it again after 7000-8000lbs a half ton just doesn't cut it. Even then it can be a little hairy with a bad cross wind when towing off the bumper.

Asking for fuel economy while towing a a 6.2 is out of the question. It's gonna suck back fuel like nobodies business.

3/4 or 1 ton for the win on this one, the 6 litre pulls awesome! The dmax is even better.

Archived