For those who don't like the energy-saver charging on GMT900s

Poking around underhood today I noticed a sensor wrapped around the negative battery cable with a plug that is secured to the battery tray itself. Without looking at any diagrams it looked like an inductive current sensor. Realizing this must be what makes the alternator go into low voltage mode, I unplugged it. It is a 3-wire connection. I went for a short drive and during that time I did not notice the voltmeter go down like it normally might. Obviously further testing is needed but this might solve the issues with headlights dimming when you use power windows or if ABS kicks in, etc. After examining the diagrams on alldata, GM calls this a "battery current sensor" that sends a signal back to the BCM so it most likely is what drives that function. Obviously more testing is needed to make sure this is it but during my quick drive it seemed fine.

It's supposed to but I know there have been dozens of folks who report headlights dimming when stopped and you use power windows or if the ABS kicks on. It's likely going to be below freezing for several more weeks here so I'll have to wait to do any testing to see if things improve as right now it won't drop much because of temps being low anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived