Differential Ratio's on '14s

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered mine with the 3.42. The 5.3L V-8 with 3.42 allows up 9500-9700 tow capacity depending on Cab config. The 5.3L V-8 with 3.08 allows up to 6500-6700 tow capacity.

3.73 is not yet available as an option for 5.3L.

If I do any towing it won't be much but I will be driving mostly short trips and its hilly around here so I guess I'll leave it the way I ordered it.

If I do any towing it won't be much but I will be driving mostly short trips and its hilly around here so I guess I'll leave it the way I ordered it.

I'd leave it be if I were you. I got 3.08's because I was looking for gas mileage, and at most I might tow 4,000lbs.

I've got 3.08's in my Avalanche and it is constantly shifting. If or when I get a Silverado, it will have the 3.43. Been looking, test drove a couple, like what I see, I'll wait for the new price to wear off and the rebates to kick in.

Mike

I have the 5.3 with 6sp trans 3.42 grs....also live in hilly area and it is always shifting if you can get the damn thing to downshift...I would option for the 3.73 but they do not offer with the 5.3.

Maybe the extra TQ will save the day for the '14 5.3, 3.42s.

I have the 5.3 with 6sp trans 3.42 grs....also live in hilly area and it is always shifting if you can get the damn thing to downshift...I would option for the 3.73 but they do not offer with the 5.3.

Maybe the extra TQ will save the day for the '14 5.3, 3.42s.

Guess I'll find out. The one I drove the other day had a 3.08 but I noticed a lot of the '13s and one of the other '14s he had had the 3.42

Guess I'll find out. The one I drove the other day had a 3.08 but I noticed a lot of the '13s and one of the other '14s he had had the 3.42

I drove a '14 5.3 with 3.42s. It seemed to have more TQ and it did drop to 5th from 6th gear with much less accelerator pedal input/angle than my 09. they did reprogram the TCM for sure.

Lets us here back once you have had it awhile.

I was under the impression that the 3.73 was coming back in some form on the 5.3. If thats the case I would much rather have that. I myself am waiting to see what the 6.2 will be like though.

I was under the impression that the 3.73 was coming back in some form on the 5.3. If thats the case I would much rather have that. I myself am waiting to see what the 6.2 will be like though.

As much as I like the power I have to keep fuel economy in my sights because of the amount of highway driving I do, it'll be interesting to see which configuration GM chooses for their EPA ratings for the 6.2's I can only assume that the delay in releasing official specs is that they are juggling ratios/V4 mode settings to get a better rating than they got the first time around

I think it will be with the max trailering package. Won't be able to get Z71 package with it. At least with the GMC.

Max Trailering Pack, Available on select SLE and SLT models,

this package extends Sierra max trailer ratings.1

It includes:

Automatic locking rear differential

• Handling/Trailering Suspension Package
  • 9.76" rear axle
  • 3.73 rear axle ratio
  • Trailer brake controller
  • Trailering Equipment
  • Not available until fall 2013

Requires 5.3L V8 EcoTec3 engine or 6.2L V8 EcoTec3 engine. Not available with

Off-Road Suspension Package.

1 Maximum trailer weight ratings

are calculated assuming a properly equipped base vehicle plus driver.

Archived