Onstar tracking prevention

diehard

Ok, go ahead and insert your tinfoil hat joke here......

But seriously, I want to prevent onstar from tracking my new silverado. It is more complicated than just calling onstar and opting out, as I dont want Anyone, authorized or not to be able to turn it back on... I want to physically stop the onstar gps capability.

Lets just say that divorce is very messy.

So, is there a way to achieve this while keeping the other normal electronic functionality of the truck? I dont care if onstar works at all, I just want me normal cell phone to bluetooth link to work.

Lets not turn this into a debate about why, and yes I know the govment can track a cell phone and all that BS.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

The cell antenna would be a good place to start. Behind the radio display there's an aluminum module. I don't know which is cell and GPS. You want to keep the GPS for navigation if equipped. The GPS only receives data.

Then call OnStar and ask them to unlock your vehicle or something. If the gsm(cellular) doesn't work then it won't unlock or send the location data to OnStar.

As said the best way is to find the OnStar module and remove their antenna source, provided you can. I wouldn't be surprised if it is integrated to where you cant do it by now.

Mylink I'd say its unlikely but the GPS might use the same antenna, though that was not the case on the 900-series trucks, nav used a different antenna.

That said I hope anyone worried about OnStar tracking them doesn't own a cell phone, make phone calls or use the internet, it's already been proven that all of those are widely monitored by various agencies.

• 9 months later...

Has anyone successfully done this mod yet? I want to dissable onststar completely, if I could rip it out and throw it in the garbage without causing codes or screwing up my truck I will.

For those who ask why... Step Off... I dont want any GubMint tracking device capable of dissabling my truck for any reason, I also don't need some cyber split tail chiming in when im listening to music to split my eardrum with cyber drivel... and it's nunya biznas why i want MY onstar fried.

Thanks for understanding,

Sylvester

There are probably fuses for it. If you don't have navigation and don't intend to keep XM you could unplug the antenna.

Just make sure you also toss that cell phone, stop using credit cards, get off the internet and everything else too. ;)

There are probably fuses for it. If you don't have navigation and don't intend to keep XM you could unplug the antenna.

Just make sure you also toss that cell phone, stop using credit cards, get off the internet and everything else too. ;)

None of those will stop forward movement in my awesome new Sierra... well awesome with one exceptipn ONSTAR! HAHA

Has anyone successfully done this mod yet? I want to dissable onststar completely, if I could rip it out and throw it in the garbage without causing codes or screwing up my truck I will.

For those who ask why... Step Off... I dont want any GubMint tracking device capable of dissabling my truck for any reason, I also don't need some cyber split tail chiming in when im listening to music to split my eardrum with cyber drivel... and it's nunya biznas why i want MY onstar fried.

Thanks for understanding,

Sylvester

You're worried about OnStar but posting on an internet forum?

Geeez...just do your payments and nobody will disable your truck.

so long

j-ten-ner

You're worried about OnStar but posting on an internet forum?

Geeez...just do your payments and nobody will disable your truck.

so long

j-ten-ner

Please go find your pacifier... its not about big brother or my IP security smarty pants, I don't want Onstar or Sat Rad and it's not American to force it on me with no way to disable it. id Steve Jobs buy GMC before he passed???

Archived