Cut mufflers out sound like ???

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone that used to drive around with an exhaust cut out, spend the money on a good catback. There is alot to be said for a nice clean sound with no drone. Bypassing the muffler makes it loud, but it's very raspy and has alot of drone. It's a very dirty sound.

My 2010 regular cab has a Corsa Sport with Headers, and it's probably one of the loudest exhausts I've heard but it's a clean sound and has zero drone when cruising and in V4 mode.

You can add ANY catback or muffle you want (aside from going muffler-less) and simply have a shop weld in J pipes off the muffler and it will eliminate the 4 cyl drone.

There are also harmonic balances/weights you can add but I recommend the former.

I recently added the flowmaster force II system w/ 50 series muffler very minimal drone not enough for me to worry about altering it as I suggested above. My Bluetooth works flawlessly w/ windows up for instance.

I come from a G8GT where many people struggled w/ horrific drone and these J-pipes solve it in every instance, and G8s are not as well insulated as these trucks. Solo makes systems that employ this j pipe design, not sure if they make them specific for trucks but you could just buy their mufflers.

You're welcome. Lol

I hope so... I chose is after listening to some clips and also y'all's input, the flowmaster sounds to hollow to me??? Would y'all say the magnaflow is still going to be louder then a y pipe not a true dual system???

I had magnaflow catback before on '07 silverado and 08 G8. I chose flowmaster this time because I wanted side exit true dual exhaust, didn't wanna spend $1000 and unlike their typical stuff they use 409 stainless and 304 tips for this application (same as magnaflow). I like the flowmaster sound as I was not going for something extremely loud, the magnaflow is louder and droned badly on my 07 silverado (as mentioned before tho j pipes can fix that), but I do like the idle burble of the magnaflow- and they fit great

You can add ANY catback or muffle you want (aside from going muffler-less) and simply have a shop weld in J pipes off the muffler and it will eliminate the 4 cyl drone.

There are also harmonic balances/weights you can add but I recommend the former.

I recently added the flowmaster force II system w/ 50 series muffler very minimal drone not enough for me to worry about altering it as I suggested above. My Bluetooth works flawlessly w/ windows up for instance.

I come from a G8GT where many people struggled w/ horrific drone and these J-pipes solve it in every instance, and G8s are not as well insulated as these trucks. Solo makes systems that employ this j pipe design, not sure if they make them specific for trucks but you could just buy their mufflers.

You're welcome. Lol

This is essentially how the Corsa mufflers work. You're adding resonating side branches using elbows and tees to the pipe. Each branch needs to have it's length tuned to the frequency/wavelength of the drone that you're trying to have removed to be most effective. The calculations are all available online if a guy wants to get their hands dirty. We use these all the time on pipelines in the energy industry to eliminate the resonance and harmonics from compressors.

Here is a quick presentation showing how the side branch resonators work and how to size them. It's for diesel engines but gas flow in a pipe is gas flow in a pipe.

http://www.enoisecontrol.com/related_articles/engine_exhaust_sound_control_barrier_wall.pdf

I hope so... I chose is after listening to some clips and also y'all's input, the flowmaster sounds to hollow to me??? Would y'all say the magnaflow is still going to be louder then a y pipe not a true dual system???

I had magnaflow catback before on '07 silverado and 08 G8. I chose flowmaster this time because I wanted side exit true dual exhaust, didn't wanna spend $1000 and unlike their typical stuff they use 409 stainless and 304 tips for this application (same as magnaflow). I like the flowmaster sound as I was not going for something extremely loud, the magnaflow is louder and droned badly on my 07 silverado (as mentioned before tho j pipes can fix that), but I do like the idle burble of the magnaflow- and they fit great

So that Flowmaster is a "true dual" system? Does it not use the factory y-pipe, and does it utilize 2 mufflers?

I kid to a point. I know what the system is. Flowmaster sent me some literature on it when they released it. It uses a single inlet/dual outlet muffler. But they left a bad taste in my mouth.

I have had Flowmaster/MBRP/Corsa on this truck. I have only driven stock 2014's. My cousin has a 22" Magnaflow on his 2007 Sierra. He had the 14" until he had a kid. The 14" will sound great.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

Yeah it'll be significantly quieter. I've never heard the opinion that flowmasters are quieter the a Magnaflow. Every truck I've been in with them has been loud and droned.

I'm telling you I had the magnaflow catback on my 2007 5.3 and now I have the flowmaster on my 2014 and the flowmaster is certainly tamer and drones less. What the heck would I lie about it for I don't get paid by flowmaster lol!

I had always been against flowmaster before not because of the sound but because they traditionally used aluminzied steel rather than stainless steel and I live in the northeast so need something that'll hold up better.

Archived