Cut mufflers out sound like ???

No offence but I think you guys are nuts haha. I had 8 km on my truck when I cut the main muffler off it today. I literally drove from the dealer straight to the shop. I have to say it's not loud at all and has a nice deep tone/rumble but no popping or cracking which is great. I don't know how anyone can say this is too loud, I think it sounds like a 6.2 denali just a tiny bit more. I left the butterfly valve thing in place thinking it would help with the v4 drone until my diablo intune comes in but there was no droning when it was in afm which was big surprise to me. Needless to say the 40 bucks it cost me to do it has me completely satisfied with the exhaust now and won't be needing to do anything else other than finding a nice tip. I will upload a video on to youtube tomorrow so you can all hear it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No offence but I think you guys are nuts haha. I had 8 km on my truck when I cut the main muffler off it today. I literally drove from the dealer straight to the shop. I have to say it's not loud at all and has a nice deep tone/rumble but no popping or cracking which is great. I don't know how anyone can say this is too loud, I think it sounds like a 6.2 denali just a tiny bit more. I left the butterfly valve thing in place thinking it would help with the v4 drone until my diablo intune comes in but there was no droning when it was in afm which was big surprise to me. Needless to say the 40 bucks it cost me to do it has me completely satisfied with the exhaust now and won't be needing to do anything else other than finding a nice tip. I will upload a video on to youtube tomorrow so you can all hear it.

I like the Corsa side exit tip, it isnt cheap, but it is stainless and looks great

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

hey guys, just letting you know that i recently got my 2014 Silverado 5.3L LT Z71 back. Borla exhaust had it for almost a month. they used it to prototype their exhaust systems. they are coming out with 3 different series of exhaust sound levels. They let me choose between all three options and I chose to keep type ATAK series muffle. And guys….it sounds awesome. I’ve been driving the hell out of it and it is just awesome. There is no drone and sounds great in all gears. So be on the lookout and the Borla exhaust system sound be available soon! Pics coming soon....

I have to say that nothing sounds better than borla on a V8, it has such a nice rumble to it. Unfortunately I don't see the point on spending 500-800 dollars on a cat back that I don't need. Honestly guys, if you want an amazing sound just cut your main muffler off but leave the valve put, it really helps with making the drone non exsistent. It cost me 40 bucks and sounds amazing. I went for a drive up to the cottage but as soon as I get back tommorow I will record it and post it on youtube for those of you wanting to hear it. It's quiet at idle and has a very nice deep rumble to it went on the gas. Even just cruising you can't really hear a difference. I'm actually still debating on cutting the resonator at the very end just for a bit more noise. The 3 cats really put a damper on things haha.

I have to say that nothing sounds better than borla on a V8, it has such a nice rumble to it. Unfortunately I don't see the point on spending 500-800 dollars on a cat back that I don't need. Honestly guys, if you want an amazing sound just cut your main muffler off but leave the valve put, it really helps with making the drone non exsistent. It cost me 40 bucks and sounds amazing. I went for a drive up to the cottage but as soon as I get back tommorow I will record it and post it on youtube for those of you wanting to hear it. It's quiet at idle and has a very nice deep rumble to it went on the gas. Even just cruising you can't really hear a difference. I'm actually still debating on cutting the resonator at the very end just for a bit more noise. The 3 cats really put a damper on things haha.

please I would love to hear the sound clip. So you just cut out the main muffler and left alone the resonator that is behind the rear axle correct?

I just created my youtube account and posted 2 videos. It's in the uploading stage right now but you can check for yourselves if it's up now or not. I'm having a hell of a time figuring this youtube crap out. My youtube account name is 2014scsb so feel free to take a peak. I think my 0-100 video is up not sure on the exhaust part.

• 2 months later...

hey guys, just letting you know that i recently got my 2014 Silverado 5.3L LT Z71 back. Borla exhaust had it for almost a month. they used it to prototype their exhaust systems. they are coming out with 3 different series of exhaust sound levels. They let me choose between all three options and I chose to keep type ATAK series muffle. And guys….it sounds awesome. I’ve been driving the hell out of it and it is just awesome. There is no drone and sounds great in all gears. So be on the lookout and the Borla exhaust system sound be available soon! Pics coming soon....

I am in a dilemma, I know that I want the ATAK or S Type. How loud is the ATAK inside the cabin with the windows up? My wife and I do a lot of long drives and she doesn't like my 04 silverado with the flowmaster as that's too loud. What do you think?

to me a vehicle with no mufflers just makes a bunch of noise and does not actually sound good. there is no tone to the exhaust note, lots of popping. and honestly without a muffler your probably going to get worse MPG not anything tremendously noticeable but I doubt you get better gas mileage.

Archived