Why did GM halt Denali Production?

Ron.s

Does anyone know what happened? I'm not positive that production was stopped but that's my best guess. My dealer can't tell me anything except that my TPW has been set back twice. Jennifer, GM customer service, has not responded to a PM 3 days ago. There have been 3 forum members that have rec'd their Denali, 2 ordered a week earlier than mine, one the same day. Nothing unique about my order:

2014 Sierra Denali-6.2-brake controller-Irridium. Order placed 9-28; accepted 10-1; TPW 10-28, TPW revised last week to 11-4. My vehicle was not invoiced as of 11-9 so I assume TPW will change to 11-11 soon.

It's hard to believe that there were a lot of sold orders before pricing was available!

But for some reason, production may have halted on or about 10-28 or 10-29. If it was actually supplier constraints one would expect that production would slow not stop. Could this be a quality issue requiring some change and GM waiting on some revised component? Probably not the rear power window, seat rattle, or rear axles that have been documented previously. Surely they had engines available for more than a handful of trucks. My assumption is something major would be required to cause a two week halt in production-if that's what really happened. Maybe I'm all wet but.....

Any inside info out there? Anyone have a 6.2 Denali built on or after 10-29?

Edit: had a PM from Jennifer this morning...truck not built yet, event code 3400-"broadcast" the code between scheduled and built. Been at 3400 for a while so don't know if that means anything!

• 3000 Order Accepted by Production Control

• 3100 Order Available to Sequence (now becomes more stable)

• 3300 Order Selected and Scheduled for Production by Assembly Plant (Target Production Week usually available now)

• 3400 Order Broadcasted for Production loaded onto production line computers and sent to suppliers. Vehicle build process is underway and its locked in sequence to the end of the line)

• 3800 Vehicle Produced

• 4000 Vehicle Available to Ship

• 4104 Bailment Invoice Created

• 4B00 Bayed (“B”, not 8)

• 4106 Bailment Released

• 4150 Vehicle Invoiced (Dealer Billed)

• 4200 Vehicle Shipped

• 4300 Intermediate Delivery (Upfitter etc)

• 4V03 Estimated Delivery Date

• 4800 Rail Ramp Unload, delivery by truck to dealer

• 5000 Vehicle Delivered to Dealer

• 6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer

• 9000 Order Cancelled

Maybe it was not completed this week, sitting on the line waiting for the line to start back up on the next day of work.

I recall a truck I ordered years ago. On Friday the dealer said it was not built yet, the following Weds he called and said it was here. Moral, don't beleive everything you are told by the dealer.

• 3000 Order Accepted by Production Control• 3100 Order Available to Sequence (now becomes more stable)• 3300 Order Selected and Scheduled for Production by Assembly Plant (Target Production Week usually available now)• 3400 Order Broadcasted for Production loaded onto production line computers and sent to suppliers. Vehicle build process is underway and its locked in sequence to the end of the line)• 3800 Vehicle Produced• 4000 Vehicle Available to Ship• 4104 Bailment Invoice Created• 4B00 Bayed (“B”, not 8)• 4106 Bailment Released• 4150 Vehicle Invoiced (Dealer Billed)• 4200 Vehicle Shipped• 4300 Intermediate Delivery (Upfitter etc)• 4V03 Estimated Delivery Date• 4800 Rail Ramp Unload, delivery by truck to dealer• 5000 Vehicle Delivered to Dealer• 6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer• 9000 Order CancelledMaybe it was not completed this week, sitting on the line waiting for the line to start back up on the next day of work.I recall a truck I ordered years ago. On Friday the dealer said it was not built yet, the following Weds he called and said it was here. Moral, don't beleive everything you are told by the dealer.

Thanks but mine has been at event code 3400 for at least a week-doubt it takes more than a day for assembly. The dealer only has the info from GM online data base-both dealer and GM rep both gave me the same info. I guess it's possible that my truck is built and even shipped and that the GM data base isn't updating...not likely. Mine could have been pulled for some other issue issue. Anythings possible. From everything I know it looks like production was stopped 10-28 or 10-29. Also there can't be many units ordered before mine so why the void?

That's why I'm asking if anyone has a build date after 10-29.

Actually it takes about 24 man-hours (not 1 day) to build a vehicle.

If the order was pulled, then the event code would change and not stay at 3400. Once its broadcast, its locked in sequence to the end. They cannot pull one vehicle off the line as it would screw up the entire production sequence, the suppliers and all work stations in the plant are building assemblies, suppling parts "just in time" so when a vehicle is broadcast, there is no turning back, its going to get built.

Now its entirely possible the system is not being updated and that happens. Its also possible the vehicle came off the line and had to go the repair area to correct a problem discovered in final inspection. They are not going to update to event code 3800 until the vehicle comes out the plant cleared as ready to ship.

All I am saying is the information you are getting is 2nd hand and may not be as accurate as you make think.

Now six weeks and 3 days since I ordered. This is the third "TPW-Tentative Production Week". Now more convinced than ever that production stopped in late October. Will they build my truck this week, probably? Lets hope they get Denali's going soon or a lot of you will be looking at Jan delivery. This is getting painful since I sold my old truck 6 weeks ago...3 days after putting it up for sale.

Sorry to hear man, that sounds obnoxious. I went into the dealer looking to order a Denali the last week of October and the guy literally told me I would not have it until the New Year/Spring... If i had done some research and saw people already taking delivery I would have easily questioned his answer but I believed him 100% and ended up getting my All Terrain with as many options as possible. Man I am so jealous that the Denalis and newer All Terrains have paint matched bumpers WITH the step-ins. I wrote Jennifer from GM in the forums asking if they would try to fix the fact that all people who bought All Terrains prior to November were told that the step-in paint bumpers were not going to be available and now they are.

Code Event Code Description

1000 Order On Hold at Dealership

1100 Order Placed at Dealership

1101 Order Entered into System

1102 Order Entered via Web

2000 Order Accepted by Saturn

2001 Order Generated to Dealer

2005 Order Replaced with Prospec Order

2030 Order Edited by Saturn

2050 Order Changed

2500 Order Preferenced (or "Picked Up" or "Imaged")

3000 Order Accepted by Production Control

3100 Order Available to be Sequenced

3300 Order Scheduled for Production

3400 Order Broadcast (Internal Plant Order Produced)

3800 Vehicle Produced

4000 Vehicle Available to Ship

4104 Bailment Invoice Created

4B00 Bayed ("B", not 8)

4106 Bailment Released

4150 Vehicle Invoiced (Dealer Billed)

4200 Vehicle Shipped

4300 Intermediate Delivery

4V03 4V03 Estimated Delivery Date

4800 Rail Ramp Unload

5000 Vehicle at Dealer

6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer

9000 Order Cancelled

Order status codes:

1100 = Preliminary Order (Order passed GM edit tables but dealers has not received allocation to place order)

2000 = Accepted By GM (Dealer used allocation to place order into production)

2500 = Preferenced (Order pulled to the production system)

3000 = Accepted By Production Control (Order input into the production system)

3100 = Sequenced (Order sequenced for Production)

3300 = Scheduled For Production (Order is scheduled into the plant build cycle)

3400 = Broadcast (Order is sent to various build & supplier areas to bring order together)

3800 = Produced (Order is built and VIN# shows in the Dealer Order system now)

4150 = Invoiced (Order is invoiced to the dealer)

4200 = Shipped (Vehicle is shipped to the dealer or point of delivery)

5000 = Delivered To Dealer

6000 = Delivered To Customer

The dealership missed an option when they ordered my truck (caught it when Jennifer from GM customer service sent me the build sheet) They got it corrected and my buddy who is my salesman was telling me GM is in the process of changing the system that dealers order through and get updates on. He mentioned something about making it usable across different interfaces (tablets etc.) He said that they have not gotten event codes or TPW updates on some vehicles that ended up being built about when they figured they would for what it is worth.

Thanks, I've been hoping that mine is built and paperwork lacking. Dealer made a phone inquiry Monday and didn't learn anything new. If it had been built on time it would have arrived by now so....

Going on vacation next week so maybe it will be waiting.

Archived