5.3 performance mods?

Don't know much about the 6.2, but I will say that any engine will benefit from a less restrictive intake and exhaust. I intend, like Dan above, to do the CAI and dual exhaust (think I've decided on a 22" Magnaflow) on my 5.3 and I fully expect ~1mpg increase in fuel economy and ~ 10-15hp increase. Those are conservative estimates that those two changes together can achieve based on ~ 30 years of building Chevy engines. Will the $1000 costs of the changes be recouped by the increased mpg over the life of the truck? Not sure, but the 10 extra HP will make finding out more enjoyable.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The airaid setup is not bad, truck definatly picked up power. Intake noise is alot more noticeable, especially at part throttle.

The Airaid seems to be the only decent sealed option. All the others look sketchy. I'm sure these aren't worth the money but anything to get some more pep is worth finding out to me. The YouTube vids on the Airaid look legit. With the exhaust it'll be a nice change and I'm sure some gains will be noticeable. Anyone know if the Corsa is available yet? Debating on just deleting the muffler for now and doing the intake tomorrow. Benefits of living 30 minutes from Summit Racing's main faculty :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello. I just joined this site today. I traded my Ford F-150 on a Silverado yesterday. It is a regular cab short box Z71.

That's a rare truck these days. Almost everyone keeps getting crew cabs. Regular cabs are definitely lighter and quicker than crew cab to begin with. Maybe you do not need anything to make it perform better. I would turn off the AFM as the first step, unless you really worry about better fuel economy.

if you want to pick up some easy power just run E85 sure the millage sucks but it's easy as pumping gas. jumps from 355 / 383 to 380 / 416 HP / ftlb. and that would only grow with CAI and a open exhaust.

Hello. I just joined this site today. I traded my Ford F-150 on a Silverado yesterday. It is a regular cab short box Z71. Sounds like I can pick it up tomorrow. Very excited. I was just wondering about getting some more HP out of the 5.3 without voiding warranty. I had an Airaid cold air intake on my 5.0 and it seemed to help. Quite loud under full throttle tho. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If there is already another thread regarding this I apologize. Seems like a great community here. Thanks in advance.

Good thinking. Welcome.

Running E85 jumps the power up that much? It would be the price of gold lol. Just filled up today with 89 to.. Ha.

Yes it does, Lingenfelter confirmed it on their wheel dyno. I got mine last July and ran two tanks of 87 then switched to Shell 93. These trucks wake up even with higher octane.

Makes sense. What are the pros and cons of running the E85 vs premium

E85, more power less gas mileage. Premium, better gas mileage, less horsepower. E85 is usually a little cheaper so it makes up for some of the gas mileage but not all. Still cheap horsepower IMO.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm doing a cam swap CAI phase limiter and spring swap from comp cams and long tube headers high flow cats and a tune. Yes I will void my warranty but I think it's worth it. Any other bolt ons y'all can think of to add more power?

Waiting on a CAI. I got the AFE momentum for less than 1/2 price from a guy who had it on his 14. Couple that with the BB tune and borla and the truck works awesome. I toyed with the idea of running without a tune but, with AFM turned off, and firmer shifting i suspect i have improved longevity of my drivetrain not shortened it. Keep in mind though, the input of the transmission can only handle 440lbft of torque. Unless you have the 6L90, which most 5.3 won't.

Archived