5.3 performance mods?

I'm doing a cam swap CAI phase limiter and spring swap from comp cams and long tube headers high flow cats and a tune. Yes I will void my warranty but I think it's worth it. Any other bolt ons y'all can think of to add more power?

Does your cam require new springs be installed? If it doesn't i don't see any benefit to new springs. (ie you have increased valve lift beyond what the springs can handle)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waiting on a CAI. I got the AFE momentum for less than 1/2 price from a guy who had it on his 14. Couple that with the BB tune and borla and the truck works awesome. I toyed with the idea of running without a tune but, with AFM turned off, and firmer shifting i suspect i have improved longevity of my drivetrain not shortened it. Keep in mind though, the input of the transmission can only handle 440lbft of torque. Unless you have the 6L90, which most 5.3 won't.

Thought it was the 6L80?

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

GM made 2 transmissions 6L80 and 6L90. My 2016 is a 6L80, i suspect the 6L90 went behind a 6.2L with a six speed as the 6.2 would likely damage the 6L80. 6L90 has a significant bump in input and output torque ratings.

It's a mild cam. Guys at comp cams said I wouldn't need a stall converter.

I would have thought a mild cam, the factory springs would work but, i've been wrong once before!

GM made 2 transmissions 6L80 and 6L90. My 2016 is a 6L80, i suspect the 6L90 went behind a 6.2L with a six speed as the 6.2 would likely damage the 6L80. 6L90 has a significant bump in input and output torque ratings.

I would have thought a mild cam, the factory springs would work but, i've been wrong once before!

Would make sense.... Spline count is different as well. Did a quick Google lol

Honesty the 80 will be fine. I have seen 4L60s hold 500+ hp daily drivers....

Its a safe estimate.

Honestly guys I just want something to have fun with under the hood. I've got people saying that I should do the heads and stall converters here rocker arms there pushrod this and lifter that. I'm not trying to break land speed records here. I'm new to this.

4l60 is way different animal and built much stronger than the 6l80 and they are also cheaper to make even stronger than the 6l80. 4L60 was based on the 700R4 which we all know was one tough SOB. The 6L80 has 1 or is it 2 more clutch packs for shifting to the higher gears. Circle D appears to be making good mods to the 6L80 but they are pricey!

GM%204L60E%20Transmission%20Exploded%20v

6l45-6l50-6l80-6l90-0.jpg

As you can see, not only are there more clutch packs but more clutches in each pack. I also noticed there is no second gear band on the 6 speed, this uses a clutch instead which means no apply servos are required.

As you can see, not only are there more clutch packs but more clutches in each pack. I also noticed there is no second gear band on the 6 speed, this uses a clutch instead which means no apply servos are required.

Man servos really woke up my 4L60E in my colorado... It barks 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th.

You would think these would be built stronger then previous gens.

I have blown up 6 4L60s.....on a 4L65 right now with "race internals" havent blown it up yet.

Lots of good 700R4/4L60 builders out there. Extreme Automatics is building some tough 200-4R's too. As the transmission gets older a lot of aftermarket guys will start building clutch paks and hard parts and valve bodies to take high hp. There are guys making 1000HP in front of 200-4Rs and 1200-1500HP in front of 700R4 and 4L60's. Like any other transmission, the 6L80 can be built for hi torque/ Hi HP you just gotta have the bucks

"Stock versus stock, the 4L80E and 6L80E are very similar in terms of strength," explains Kyle House of Circle D. "The main difference is that the 6L80E has much more versatile gear ratios. With a ridiculously low 4.03:1 First gear, it's a stump puller. The 4L80E is more proven because it has been around much longer and more parts are available for it, but the 6L80E has come a long way and they can handle tons of power with a few basic upgrades."

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/transmission/1103gmhtp-circle-d-6l80e-transmission-upgrades/

"Stock versus stock, the 4L80E and 6L80E are very similar in terms of strength," explains Kyle House of Circle D. "The main difference is that the 6L80E has much more versatile gear ratios. With a ridiculously low 4.03:1 First gear, it's a stump puller. The 4L80E is more proven because it has been around much longer and more parts are available for it, but the 6L80E has come a long way and they can handle tons of power with a few basic upgrades."

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/transmission/1103gmhtp-circle-d-6l80e-transmission-upgrades/

good find and a good read.

I'm pretty sold on doing the upgrade whenever my transmission needs a rebuild. A couple shops offer a kit that essentially turns your 6L80 into a 6L90.

Considering the 6.2 uses the same 6L80 as our 5.3 I'm not as concerned about it handling a few power addons.

I had a AFE intake that used the bottom portion of the stock intake box. Along with a 3" cat back with a dyno max bullet tuned on e85. Was fast enough to stay right next to my dads 2001 tune only ws6. Mine is a 2014 rcsb sierra 5.3 as well.

Archived