Battery Drain Traced to Fuse 51 - Heated Mirrors

So my trucks been draining the battery. Thought it was a bad battery until the brand new AGM battery died too. Did a load test and found it was pulling 2.6 amps when asleep. Started pulling fuses and found #51 underhood for the heated mirror was all of the draw (but 0.006A).

How do i go about finding the short? Is the rear defroster on the same circuit? Do i have to pop the glass off or is there a harness connector some where that i can use to determine which side it is and / or unplug so the other works for now (it's really cold out).

Any chance that it's just dirty or something or am I definitely buying a new glass?

How do you pop the glass out?

Thanks

Found the problem. The picture is of the fuse for the rear winder defogger. I think is melted the fuse panel somehow and shorted the fused leg of the mirror heaters to power. The only way to turn them off is to remove the fuse. Removing the relay does NOT shut them off. The other leg of that fuse is jammed in and i can't get it out.

Does anyone know if the fuse block can be opened up once it's pulled out? I don't know if heated mirrors is worth a $200 fuse block replacement right now.

post-15201-0-82293800-1387920733_thumb.jpg

Edited by splat10

Board inside of fuse block was burnt and the defogger relay prongs are shorted hot. This board looks simple but I can't get it to work right again so it's definitely a new fuse block for me. Wonder if the board went bad first and caused the fuse fire or if the fuse fire failed the board? My guess would be board failed.

my7yryta.jpg

azajumym.jpg

Edited by splat10

• 1 year later...

I have a 2011 and had to pull fuse 51 to stop my battery from going dead over night. In alldata shows the relay in the fuse box under the hood. but can pull the relay out the heat stays on in the mirrors, Is there another relay some where?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have a 2011 and had to pull fuse 51 to stop my battery from going dead over night. In alldata shows the relay in the fuse box under the hood. but can pull the relay out the heat stays on in the mirrors, Is there another relay some where?

I have the same problem on my 2011 Silverado 1500; heated mirror and rear window defroster won't shut off. Relay burnt and fuses were hot. I had to pull the fuses to stop the parasitic draw. Something is really wrong with this truck. Only 55k miles.

• 3 weeks later...

The fuse relay block on my 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with only 56,000 miles nearly CAUGHT FIRE when the rear window defroster and heated mirrors would not turn off even with the key removed. This is a critical design failure!

The problem was traced to a bad ground on circuit G200, this is part of the switch circuit that controls the mirrors and defroster. GM has designed a circuit that has the ability to turn itself on even when the car is off and the key removed!
But even worse GM refuses to pay for the parts or labor to repair my truck.
I have made several calls to GM customer service and while initially encouraging GM has refused to stand behind their product. Howard the customer service representative at GM couldn't disclose to me the amount of financial help they offered the dealership, it turns out they didn't offer any help at all.
Scott at MacMulkin Chevrolet Cadillac said GM didn't offer any help and Howard at GM customer disservice said they offered assistance, but he wasn't allowed to tell me how much. Howard also told me he doesn't have a supervisor I could speak with and the there was not way to escalate my complaint.

"you already picked up your truck and paid for the repair, the case is closed".

This is not my first GM product my wife and I have owned:
65 Corsair Corsa
1997 Saturn SL2 - new
2001 Saturn SL2 - new
2003 Chevy ZR2 - new
2008 Acadia - new
2011 Silverado 1500 - used
I'm not sure I will buy another GM product after this experience.

• 3 years later...

Having now developed the same problem in my well maintained 2011 Sierra Nevada Edition with only 158K Km, and reading the reviews also contacted GM Canada. The fault was discovered by the company that installed my GM Approved and Warrantied remote starter as I was stumped as to why my truck continues to drain the battery. I thought the remote starter crapped!

Although seemingly sympathetic, advised to diagnose by a GM dealership, already paid for diagnosis now paying for a second one. Before I even got the call from the dealership, my friendly and not to sympathetic GM Canada representative Robin, called me to advise that not only do I have to pay for the diagnosis, but also the repair as GM has no records of this design flaw and blamed the mileage on the truck. All the while my service adviser was on hold with her to seek direction on the repair .Well, can’t sell a lemon, so out of pocket another $650 CDN.

I’ve been a loyal GM owner since I got my drivers licence at 16. I’m 57 now and this is my seventh...and last GM Product for the rest of my life. Loyalty goes both ways GM Canada!!!

• Confused 1

• 2 years later...