Undercoverdirect.com Avoid this vendor

Imcrazy

I purchased an undercover flex from these guys about a month ago. It arrived about 1 week later I installed it, the weather was cold and I put too much faith in the manufacturer's reputation so I didn't do a water test. About two weeks after install we got a warm snap, rain like crazy and leaks like you wouldn't believe. After eliminating any possible install problems I determined three of the seals were not glued to the cover in the corners near the bulkhead. I talked with the vendor and asked for a refund, they had me talk to the manufacturer who said they best they could do was send out some super glue and a new seal. I told them that I was not comfortable installing a new seal or messing around with glue on a two week old cover that I just paid $665 for they told me that they wouldn't replace the cover and I would have to fix it myself.

At this point I emailed the vendor requesting a retrurn authorization, they said they don't give return authorizations on these covers and the manufacturer would have to approve the retrun. The manufacturer refused to do so.

I told the vendor that if they didn't refund my money I'd open up a complaint with VISA. They didn't respond so I called up VISA now I have a conditional credit on my account for the whole purchase price, they said they will do an additional investigation to determine if they credit will be final.

In the mean time I told the vendor that I would share my negative experience with as many people as I could, they suggested that I would be breaking the law by way of 'defamation of character' and that they could sue me. They also suggested I get a lawyer.

Bottom line IN MY OPINION avoid these guys they don't offer returns on defective product. I'll share more once my credit is finalized.

Yeah It seems to me they are a small company and short sighted in their vision. I'm only 29 years old, odds are I'll own several more trucks and need tonneau covers for them. If they'd taken care of me, I'd probably be a customer for life, now I'll never do business with them again nor will I recommend them to friends, family or business contacts.

I'm glad you posted this as I have been considering an Undercover tri-fold tonneau. I was going to have a local truck accessory shop install it. I was thinking that the shop would do me right if I were to have issues. But now I'll think twice about the cover. Although I could just drive to the manufacturer's shop as they are located in MO.

Sorry you're having a problem. Looking at the warranty it looks like repairs need to be made by a dealer/or at the direction of the factory. Since they seem to have two dealers in Cleveland I might ask the factory if they could have one of your local dealers look at and repair it. Even if you didn't purchase locally, I would think the manufacturer might be willing to pay a dealer for a repair to keep a customer happy. Might be worth a shot.

Mike

I'm glad you posted this as I have been considering an Undercover tri-fold tonneau. I was going to have a local truck accessory shop install it. I was thinking that the shop would do me right if I were to have issues. But now I'll think twice about the cover. Although I could just drive to the manufacturer's shop as they are located in MO.

Yeah I did a lot of research and there are quite a few great features of the undercover that really appeal to me mostly that the cover doesn't rest against my truck cab when its in the up-right position and the clips to secure it in the folded position. The rail setup is not as well designed as the new bak-flips, it needs a cap and really a drain hose in the rear too. I plugged the channel with a couple of drywall anchors and some silicone because if you park with the tail of the truck at the bottom of an incline, all the water that makes its way into the channel runs into the bed of the truck.

I'd say if you buy it at a local dealer you should be OK I'd just take a good look at the adhesion of all the seals really closely before you take delivery / pay for the cover and plan to do a couple of modifications to keep water out. Also if you have a drop in liner plan on trimming the part that goes over the bulkhead off completely.

Sorry you're having a problem. Looking at the warranty it looks like repairs need to be made by a dealer/or at the direction of the factory. Since they seem to have two dealers in Cleveland I might ask the factory if they could have one of your local dealers look at and repair it. Even if you didn't purchase locally, I would think the manufacturer might be willing to pay a dealer for a repair to keep a customer happy. Might be worth a shot.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion Mike. I asked about this but they said I'd be responsible for paying the labor of a local shop to have it fixed.

Well the D*** thing is still leaking but, in a new place! Looks like the hinges are leaking from what I can tell :mad::dunno: I'm sick of messing with this thing, I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out where the water is penetrating the cover but no dice. I'm done messing around with it I've :smash: on it for at least 5-8 hours trying to get it to work as intended. I did get a credit from Visa for the purchase price so I will probably head over to my local truck shop and get a undercover classic I suppose, might give the extang solid fold a shot tho, kinda like the option to fold the cover up.

• 2 weeks later...

Normally when someone complains about a leaking tonneau my first thought is that if you wanted a trunk you should have bought a car.... But obviously you got a defective cover and the way they have treated you is crap... Defamation or character? Yeah right thanks for posting to save someone else from them and hope you get it figured out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally when someone complains about a leaking tonneau my first thought is that if you wanted a trunk you should have bought a car.... But obviously you got a defective cover and the way they have treated you is crap... Defamation or character? Yeah right thanks for posting to save someone else from them and hope you get it figured out Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I mean I expect to get a little water here and there but when about 1/4 of the seals are popping lose due to no glue I think that there is a quality issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BakFlip is an outstanding product.

I have a BakFlip F1-paid about $200.00 more than you did. When it rains I get maybe 5 drops of water in one corner....that's all.

Now BakFlip has the VP which is about 70.00 more than you paid.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did receive a final credit from visa for the entire purchase price. I was not requested to return the cover. I used about 1/2 bottle of gorilla glue, some foam tape and a little hillbilly engineering to get the thing to stop leakin' for now. I'll stick with it. The vendor apparently has gone outta business from what I gather. Here is a link to a story about their local store front in KY. http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Trail-Blazers-closed-in-Lexington-customers-file-complaints-249488871.html

Archived