My truck stalled while fueling today!!!

Ok, so here is the scenario. I was fueling my truck at a local Murphy's fuel station, it was a somewhat cold day so I left my truck running so my 4 year old little girl could stay warm inside. Keep in mind the truck already had a little over 1/2 tank but I just wanted to top it off. After the pump had stopped, I always put a little more fuel in the tank, usually I can fit about 2-4 more gallons in the tank. So after a few more minutes of topping the tank off I was just about done and I heard the truck start idling roughly and then the engine stalled. I immediately turned off the pump and put the nozzle back. I then got back into my truck and it took three tries to start the truck. I let it idle for about 30 seconds and put it in drive, as I was pulling out of the fueling station, the truck almost died so I put it in neutral while coasting and revved up the RPM's a little. I put it back in drive and everything was fine. I did not get any check engine lights or warnings. I have always let my vehicles run while fueling, but none have ever been direct injected.

So my question is, could the cause of my truck stalling while I was fueling be because air was introduced into the fuel line somehow. I know direct injection engines run at a much higher PSI so I am thinking that may have been the problem. If so, how could it happen when the truck had more that 1/2 tank of fuel.

On a side note, I immediately unbuckled my little girl from her car seat once the truck died. I thought, if this truck starts on fire next to these fuel pumps I am going to run with my little one and not look back. I had my little girls mom come and pick her up after all this happened from the fuel station. Man I really do love my truck, but I should not be afraid to drive it, especially with my little girl in it strapped into a car seat. Oh and yes I have and the "Engine Fire" recall done!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks...

2014 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4

4.3 Ecotec V6

Only 1,800 miles and I have had it for 4 months.

I'm not sure about your problem. I had the fire recall work done yesterday. This morning, the truck was hard to start. This was the first time I experienced this. I have under 800 miles on my truck.

The truck knows when the fuel cap is off regardless of how much fuel is in the tank, so something changes. I know you feel you are being safe but you do realize that it's illegal to leave a vehicle running while putting gas in? Not trying to slap your knuckles with a ruler, just pointing it out.

starting to hear a few weird things happening after the fire update has been applied. Related? who knows.. I do know I'm waiting another month or so before I get it done to my truck... that way they can tweak the software some more if need be.

The truck knows when the fuel cap is off regardless of how much fuel is in the tank, so something changes. I know you feel you are being safe but you do realize that it's illegal to leave a vehicle running while putting gas in? Not trying to slap your knuckles with a ruler, just pointing it out.

Yup, I do know. I guess I will not let it idle any more while fueling and hopefully this was just a fluke incident!!! :)

You made 2 mistakes, first you didn't shut your vehicle off when you went to fuel it. Really? Your kid couldn't last the 5 mins...

Secondly, you shouldn't top off fuel tanks, if this generation is anything like the last 2, you can wreck parts of the truck related to emissions.

I bet it says right in your manual about it. DO NOT TOP OFF

There are many issues that could come up while fueling your vehicle at idle. Not only for the fact that its illegal but its just not safe. Something can easily catch fire and on top of that these trucks are having recalls because of it. If something did end up happening your little girl would have been stuck in there. I'm sincerely glad nothing happened.

Why do you top it off so much? There really is no reason to fill it up that much.

I would suggest filling up the the vehicle off and let the pump top you off like its designed to

I am glad I posted this, I do appreciate all the replies. I will no longer top it off and let it idle.

But the question still remains, is it possible to get air into the fuel lines with more than a 1/2 tank of fuel?

losky79, I doubt any of us have had the tank (or pump) out of their truck yet. Most pumps are bottom feeders and therefore are unlikely affected by sloshing fuel in the tank. I think it's more likely your ECU thought something bad was happening and cut the fuel off to prevent a fire. I'd just keep an eye on it and turn the vehicle off when filling it.

You made 2 mistakes, first you didn't shut your vehicle off when you went to fuel it. Really? Your kid couldn't last the 5 mins...

Secondly, you shouldn't top off fuel tanks, if this generation is anything like the last 2, you can wreck parts of the truck related to emissions.

I bet it says right in your manual about it. DO NOT TOP OFF

Per page 9-72 in the owners manual: "Do not top off or overfill the tank and wait a few seconds after after you have finished before removing nozzle"

Luckily I did not bet you!!! :)

Archived