UnderCover Swing Case

I had the tonneau cover from them. The Undercover Flex. I really liked it and thought about getting the swing cases as well. I never purchased them for my Ram, but I would consider them for this truck.

If I were you I would save my money for some more Syracuse #1 in February t-shirts, some should be floating around somewhere still, unless they have all been shipped to Sudan.

I don't have the swing case yet, but I plan on adding one to the truck when it gets here. I have seen them in a friends truck and they are pretty cool. They don't hold a ton of stuff, but they do detach from the swing bracket and seem to work very well for what they are. I'm going to use mine for jumper cables, gloves, etc.

I purchased the passenger side Swing Case back in July and, despite getting nothing but compliments from others, I have mixed opinions about it.

The Case - it's made of a sturdy, quality plastic and appears as though it'll hold up to future abuse. The lid has a rubber gasket to keep water out when closed. The lock on top functions smoothly and has a small flip up/down cover over the keyhole to keep water & dirt out. The only design flaw with the case itself is it lacks 'feet' to set upon when removed from the truck. Along the bottom there's a center ridge, so if you set it on flat ground, it leans about 10 degrees one way of the other.

The Latching Mechanism - it's set up much like a door lock with scissor-style teeth that wrap around a small metal plate on the mount. Easy open & close. Only issue I had was after about a month, I would hear a high pitch tweet sometimes when hitting bumps. Turns out it was from the metal on metal contact of the teeth against the metal plate. I contacted Undercover and they sent me some little C-shaped plastics to put over teeth. This worked but they fell off easy. I ended up just wrapping a little black duct tape around the metal plate part. This works for usually a month or two, then has to be redone. Not a biggie, as it only takes a min.

The Swinging Mount - works well and smoothly, though I was disappointed to see a little rust forming on the hinge after about 6 months of owning. The hinge parts are powder coated but I guess some inside wore away from the friction (see the 1st attached pic).

It's kind of funny timing that someone asked about the Swing Case this week. If you had asked me a week ago, my review would now be complete. But events this week have definitely changed that!

Driving to work the other day, I kept occasionally hearing a clunking sound. My first thought was something wrong with the suspension or wheels. Two nights ago, I opened my tailgate and noticed a large screw in the bed. I search my bed cover looking for where it came from... only to find it was from the Swing Case mount! The latching end is held in place by two large self-tapping screws through the bed's sheet metal. Discovered both holes stripped and arm of the mount was bending in/out, slamming against bed, making the clunk noise (see the 2nd attached pic). Needless to say, I'm pissed. Undercover advertises the case can hold 50 lbs.. before installing mine, I weighed it on a scale to make sure it was under. Total weight of case & cargo inside is 42 lbs! And I don't do any off-road driving, so the failure is not due to excessive stress cause by violent maneuvers! Now I'm going to have to remove the rear taillight and see if I can reach far enough to install nuts/washers to anchor the replacement bolts I'll install.

So all that said, i still think the Swing Case is a cool product, but I definitely don't recommend putting more than 20-25 lbs of stuff in it... unless you're willing to remove the taillight to install nuts/washers. I'll let you know how it works out for me in a few days.

post-34923-0-82924300-1393132132_thumb.jpeg

post-34923-0-57266200-1393132138_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the detailed review and pics. I am or was contemplating getting the swing case or an under seat storage bin. I have a few draw bars I carry and looks that weight would be an issue long term.

• 4 weeks later...

Now I'm going to have to remove the rear taillight and see if I can reach far enough to install nuts/washers to anchor the replacement bolts I'll install.

So all that said, i still think the Swing Case is a cool product, but I definitely don't recommend putting more than 20-25 lbs of stuff in it... unless you're willing to remove the taillight to install nuts/washers. I'll let you know how it works out for me in a few days.

moto, were you able to replace the stock hardware with the bolts, washers, and nuts via the taillight assembly? i'm interested in a set if this worked out for you.

moto, were you able to replace the stock hardware with the bolts, washers, and nuts via the taillight assembly? i'm interested in a set if this worked out for you.

Yes, I did and no problems since. I'd recommend to anyone that buys one, use bolts/nuts from the beginning instead of the self-tapping screws provided.

Yes, I did and no problems since. I'd recommend to anyone that buys one, use bolts/nuts from the beginning instead of the self-tapping screws provided.

awesome, thanks for the information!!!

Looks pretty good, just curious when your driving around can you hear it bang back and fourth or does it look pretty tight into place?

It doesn't move. It locks into place and releases via pull lever along the bottom

Archived